Total Votes:[ 30 ]
This poll closed on July 14, 2012.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 4 >

4,450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
So i was watching one of the video interviews with one of the writers for DC and of course they were throwing the word reboot and denying a retcon, it kinda got tiring after hearing it over and over. The fact that their restarting their universe means it is a retcon like any other retcon made in comics calling it otherwise doesnt change the fact that Heroes will start their adventures over and recent stories will not have any impact to the character in their new adventures. If it wasnt a retcon why are characters that should be dead or paralyzed once again alive healthy and beginning their career? O_o

Why is Green Lantern finding out that Batman is real and not an urban Myth?

This means that they will share new adventures some being similar as the old story but more or less completely different continuity, just b/c you call it a reboot doesnt me it isnt a retcon. I guess we can call Heroes Reborn, Crisis on Infinite Earth, Zero Hour a reboots as well and not retcons. *SMH*

This Reboot name is an insult to their readers intelligence hoping not to anger their fan base while they try to get new readers before they cut the chord with the old readers that supported the company for years. The writers have no respect for the readers let alone each other when you have writers failing to maintain character continuity and purposely ignoring past writer in favor for their own story which results in these constant universal retcons that DC is known for and are mockingly predicted by readers and thrown around in forums to insult certain readers and their comic taste.

I remember when i would pick up certain comics and reread a similar adventure with certain heroes and villains even having similar art with a modern art style that mirrored something that i vaguely remember reading in the 80's. It was a story that occurred prior to infinite earth with slight modification but the story was basically the same and i felt cheated by the writer and comic company. They recycled stories solely to get money and yet only the old readers would pick up on it while new readers thought it was new. How would you feel if you bought 5 comics only for it to be the same exact plot drawn by different artist and slightly altered by writers, how long would you continue to buy these comics, would you call it a Reboot or a Retcon?

There is no difference what they call it the effects are the same just like their stories, all they will do is scale back powers and let their writers power them up back to ridicules levels only to repeat the process once it gets out of hand. I feel like this is the PR Guy from Spin City trying to sell us a line of the Mayor not funneling tax money into a private account but actually relocating city assets to protect city financial interests. We readers are not stupid its insulting to think of us as such, what kinda shizz is it saying that it isnt a retcon b/c majority of the heroes will retain their original origin? O_0

Wolverine retained the same origin of how he received his adamantium in the Age of Apocalypse that hardly makes him the same wolverine of 616, Superman retained the same origin in the various retcons and else worlds that he has been in, that doesnt mean each superman is the same as the last one and their story part of continuity.

I can already see DC fans using the last DC adventures of heroes and villains to support arguments in the battle forum even when their rebooted heroes will lack any showings of power and feats of the previous incarnation. These reboots/retcons whatever they want to call it was old with Zero Hour and it was old when individuals heroes would have their origin individually altered do we really need to repeat it?

Instead of making reboots/retcons, how about DCU start firing people responsible for continuity errors and hiccups who do it purposely?
these retcons/reboots dont fix anything if the people who screw things up like the Geoff Johns of the comic world are still allowed to continue working, we will continue to see these half @$$ retcon/reboots b/c you the readers keep buying garbage comic stories that make no sense, you let them get away with it instead of refusing to buy their stories.
It's because a jackass is running s**t around there. I.e. DiDio.
'Nuff said.
I agree completely. far better writers than those currently in DC have built these characters to be just that; characters. And suddenly, they aren't the people we thought they were anymore. They're being raped and violated, and for what? to continue to appeal to the other half of thirty year old men that haven't picked up comics yet? Geoff Johns means nothing to someone who isn't into comics already, so why use that a s a lure? Their marketing sucks, it always has, and this stunt sucks even more.

Romantic Senshi

12,425 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
The reboot should't happen. =x

Plinti's Husband

Distinct Seeker

11,575 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Person of Interest 200
Agreed. ^^
Main beef with Reboot:
[sad stuff here]
Sagicorn
Main beef with Reboot:
[sad stuff here]

Send this to DC, and I'll love you forever.

Dangerous Visionary

*points to every thread she has made here*

The only good out of all this is: a new Catwoman monthly, Mr. Terrific getting a series, and Gail writting Batgirl (I am fond of this mostly out of morbid curious on how they will pull that off). I just think its a slap in the face and I loved Odyssey, Grounded, and d**k as Bats as most people did and I hate to see them go.

Also Lois without Clark just seems wrong. Can't believe they are pulling a OMD with those two. What's wrong with having at least one happy married couple in comics?

Dangerous Visionary

DCU Batgirl
Sagicorn
Main beef with Reboot:
[sad stuff here]

Send this to DC, and I'll love you forever.

I kind of wish I can get a T-shirt of that. WOW that's heavy stuff.

8,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Friendly 100
Wait...wait...WAIT! I had no idea they were taking Barbara Gordon out of the wheelchair. That just seems VERY stupid, she was like a champion, still doing all that hero stuff from a ******** wheelchair, that was awesome! I bet they've done this just to stick her back with d**k so they can be a "normal" couple.

There goes my hopes of a Kori and d**k reunion. >:l

EDIT: I'm also far to excited about Kori being teamed up with Jason Todd...I can so see it happening.

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Sagicorn
Main beef with Reboot:
[sad stuff here]

gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk

Oh, jeez, that tugged at the heartstrings, didn't it?

I think, thus far, Gail's kept pretty kind/sensitive regarding that particular controversy:

Again, if we focus on one character, then this looks like a deliberate attempt to anger or alienate the fans of that character. But if you move the entire DCU back, it really only makes sense to start with something closer to what they were created to be. It’s not applied completely evenly, and that upsets some people, too . . . understandably.

I have intentionally tried not to invalidate the opinions of people who feel she should stay in a chair forever. I believe in Oracle as a role model, I’ve seen it, I’ve felt it. I refuse to reduce the feelings of these people to debate points. They feel what they feel; Oracle means more to them in the chair than Barbara means to them as Batgirl.

We do plan to address this, in several big ways, one of which is making sure that one character no longer represents almost the entire disabled community in the DCU anymore.

- Gail Simone; click for source.

She's been pretty vocal about the lack of diversity (minorities, disabled; anything not middle-aged , male, and white) in the reboot thus far, too; her Twitter's been littered with comments alluding to - and outrightly stating - disappointment in how everything is being handled. But she has high hopes for expanding DC's very limited scope of diversity, and... I can't comment on how realistic that is, because I'm a new fan and thus far most of DC's main staff seem kinda like jerks, but... we can hope, I guess.
I read comics very rarely; I occasionally pick up a volume of Sandman from my local comic store and watch B:TAS when I can.

I don't quite understand what's going on here; correct me if I'm wrong, because I really want to be, but they're starting the entire DC universe from the very beginning?

Oh gosh what is this I don't even-

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
II-GeeNeeLee-II
I read comics very rarely; I occasionally pick up a volume of Sandman from my local comic store and watch B:TAS when I can.

I don't quite understand what's going on here; correct me if I'm wrong, because I really want to be, but they're starting the entire DC universe from the very beginning?

Oh gosh what is this I don't even-

Not precisely; it's more like... if you were to fit the entire DC universe into a book series, and decided the last few books weren't to your liking... so you drop back to the first few books in the series, rework some chapters, and 'start over' with some of the same plot and some new plot tangled up together.

Then again, I'm fairly new to comics myself, so that might be the perspective of an outsider.

Virtuous Saint

1,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
hey, i' am just gonna sit back and enjoy this craziness while it lasts. maybe it'll be good, maybe it'll be bad, who knows. personally, this should've been done in 2005 after infinite crisis.

5,500 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Not to be 'that guy', but IMO, if you have such a problem with the Reboot then don't read it. It's not like it's going to kill you to not read it, and who knows, if you don't read maybe DC will take notice and go back to the way things used to be.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing what changes and what doesn't before I go off complaining, of course I don't like the fact that the BoP line-up looks to have changed (I say 'looks' because there hasn't been any confirmation as to the line-up of the team and thus I don't know who will/won't be showing up). If I don't like it, I'll just pick Gen Hope, and maybe a new X title instead and be done with it.

It's not like anyone's forcing you all to read anything in the DCnU, but I personally think all you complainers should at least give it a try before you decide that you absolutely hate it. But again, that's just my opinion.

Friendly Gawker

8,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
Yeah I agree. Finding a new market, while loosing the market that has been supportive doesn't seem like the most well thought through plan...Or maybe it does if the goal is to appeal to dipshits who have money...I agree that the stories will become sub par.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff