Welcome to Gaia! ::

Acanthus Dio
Sorce
As far as measuring, we tend go by "universal constants" and demonstrated feats. Like Goku having to go SSJ to lift 40 tons, whereas Superman is in the billions of tons when it comes to lifting.

DBGT isn't canon...you would have to limit yourself to DB and DBZ.
The 40 tons thing happened in the Buu Saga, but I'm getting off on a tangent. Anyway, if you have a question about Superman's abilities, just refer back to that journal entry.
Sorce
Acanthus Dio
Sorce
As far as measuring, we tend go by "universal constants" and demonstrated feats. Like Goku having to go SSJ to lift 40 tons, whereas Superman is in the billions of tons when it comes to lifting.

DBGT isn't canon...you would have to limit yourself to DB and DBZ.
The 40 tons thing happened in the Buu Saga, but I'm getting off on a tangent. Anyway, if you have a question about Superman's abilities, just refer back to that journal entry.

My bad, I thought that said SSJ4, anyways, no I'm good, I already knows Superman God hax.
I just have one question.

In what comics has Superman ever shown that he is in any way shape or form a master martial artist?

I would love scan of this as I have been away from Superman comics for quite some time and last I checked he actually admitted in a comic that the reason he does not take lessons on martial arts from the various hardcore martial arts heroes is because it would make him too dangerous.

I really want to know.
Actually, let me rephrase my fight;

Superman, Red Son Superman, KC Superman and Ultraman vs. Hyperion (Supreme Power), Hyperion (Squadron Supreme), Gladiator and The Sentry
Mathius Lionsbane

In what comics has Superman ever shown that he is in any way shape or form a master martial artist?

I would love scan of this as I have been away from Superman comics for quite some time and last I checked he actually admitted in a comic that the reason he does not take lessons on martial arts from the various hardcore martial arts heroes is because it would make him too dangerous.

I really want to know.
Well at the least, Mongul taught him Kryptonian Martial Arts (including what DBZ would call the "afterimage technique" wink .

He's also used martial arts to defeat the Leader of KOBRA when he was, swapped out of his own body. Plus, he was Nightwing (a masked vigilante) in the city of Kandor, a place that doesn't have a yellow sun where he could recharge; that'd be pretty difficult if he didn't have physical training.

Acanthus Dio
I already knows Superman God hax.
What's so bad about Superman?
Sorce

Acanthus Dio
I already knows Superman God hax.
What's so bad about Superman?

There's something bad about god hax now?
Sorce
Mathius Lionsbane

I really want to know.
Well at the least, Mongul taught him Kryptonian Martial Arts (including what DBZ would call the "afterimage technique" wink .

He's also used martial arts to defeat the Leader of KOBRA when he was, swapped out of his own body. Plus, he was Nightwing (a masked vigilante) in the city of Kandor, a place that doesn't have a yellow sun where he could recharge; that'd be pretty difficult if he didn't have physical training.

He also commonly uses techniques like locks and pressure point hits in his combat style while powered.

Oh and he fought alongside Wonder Woman for 10,000 years during some version of Ragnarok.
Quote:

I know for a fact that in the early days of the JSA, Wildcat taught him how to box. This, at least from what I have seen, has been really the only maneuvers he has used. Now granted, my exposure to the more modern Superman (stopped reading after the Doomsday Saga) is not quite up to snuff, but does any of this indicate that he is an accomplished martial arts MASTER, ie, has it ever been stated in any of the material that Superman has appeared in, as it has been stated that Goku IS a master martial artist on several occasions (at least in the cartoons, I have yet to read any of the manga).

Not trying to draw the argument out, just trying to sate my own morbid curiosity.
Sorce
DJ-Anarchy
ONE power out of his Gary Stu power encyclopedia? Please... rolleyes
Out of curiosity, are you a Hal Jordan fan?

No I am not. Why?
Quote:
He also commonly uses techniques like locks and pressure point hits in his combat style while powered.

Oh and he fought alongside Wonder Woman for 10,000 years during some version of Ragnarok.

The use of locks and pressure point hits can easily be explained by the fact that he was taught how to box (since pressure points are a pivotal part of the sweet science).

I understand that he has more than likely been taught or picked up some martial arts moves here and there, but AT ANY TIME is Superman regarded as a master martial artist?

And not to be an a**, but the last statement of him fighting alongside Wonder Woman does not prove that he is a master of martial arts.
Chris Powell
DJ keeps using the Hush fight between Supes and Bats as a big example of Bats kicking Supes's a**....but he has yet to explain how Clark about to crush Bruce at the very end is somehow Bruce "kicking a**." Bruce admits during that fight that if Clark wasn't holding back, then Clark would destroy him.

And I'll counter the claim that Bruce kicked Clark's a** during Hush with Clark nearly beating Bruce to death when he was tricked by Maxwell Lord.

Hey, if you can defeat an opponent with psychology in lieu of fists, that is STILL winning. Hence, still kicking his a** if he won and dominated the fight.
Mathius Lionsbane
Quote:

The use of locks and pressure point hits can easily be explained by the fact that he was taught how to box (since pressure points are a pivotal part of the sweet science).

I understand that he has more than likely been taught or picked up some martial arts moves here and there, but AT ANY TIME is Superman regarded as a master martial artist?

And not to be an a**, but the last statement of him fighting alongside Wonder Woman does not prove that he is a master of martial arts.

No, but he and WW were pulled in to help the Norse Gods (Warrior Gods all if you don't know) fight against their enemies. So if they were picking on combat skill and Diana and Clark weren't the prime choices, why wasn't Bruce picked?
DJ-Anarchy
Chris Powell
DJ keeps using the Hush fight between Supes and Bats as a big example of Bats kicking Supes's a**....but he has yet to explain how Clark about to crush Bruce at the very end is somehow Bruce "kicking a**." Bruce admits during that fight that if Clark wasn't holding back, then Clark would destroy him.

And I'll counter the claim that Bruce kicked Clark's a** during Hush with Clark nearly beating Bruce to death when he was tricked by Maxwell Lord.

Hey, if you can defeat an opponent with psychology in lieu of fists, that is STILL winning. Hence, still kicking his a** if he won and dominated the fight.
OK, what on Earth have you been reading? I've read about half of "Hush", the part the Superman in it, and Batman was pretty much running and trying to buy some time until he could free Superman from Poison Ivy's control. Batman in canon has never beaten Superman, much less "kicked his a**".
The Nue
Mathius Lionsbane
Quote:

No, but he and WW were pulled in to help the Norse Gods (Warrior Gods all if you don't know) fight against their enemies. So if they were picking on combat skill and Diana and Clark weren't the prime choices, why wasn't Bruce picked?

First, they seemed not to have picked on combat ability, they picked on strength. (If they had picked on combat ability, they would have taken Black Adam instead of either of them, but that is neither here nor there). You notice they took the two physically strongest superheroes.

Batman can't juggle tanks.

But for the love of god, will someone answer my damn question?

Has it been definitively stated that Superman is a MASTER martial artist. The claim was made that he is a more gifted martial artist than Goku, and Goku has been referred to as a MASTER martial artist on several occasions.
Mathius Lionsbane
Quote:

I know for a fact that in the early days of the JSA, Wildcat taught him how to box. This, at least from what I have seen, has been really the only maneuvers he has used. Now granted, my exposure to the more modern Superman (stopped reading after the Doomsday Saga) is not quite up to snuff, but does any of this indicate that he is an accomplished martial arts MASTER, ie, has it ever been stated in any of the material that Superman has appeared in, as it has been stated that Goku IS a master martial artist on several occasions (at least in the cartoons, I have yet to read any of the manga).

Not trying to draw the argument out, just trying to sate my own morbid curiosity.
Superman is not a martial arts master. He is however a well trained and skilled fighter who uses techniques from many different fighting styles he's been exposed to. The most recent demonstration was the challenge match in World of New Krypton in which facing an equally powered opponent with extensive military training he defeated him in a very competent display of skill. No tricks, just superior technique. It was very cool stuff.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff