Welcome to Gaia! ::

Admittedly I haven't been into comic books for very long. But in that short time I've noticed one thing in particular: The majority of "official" sites that review monthly comics are... pretty terrible. Whether it be the writing or their understanding of comics, literary theory, etc. I haven't found any sites that really seem to get it right, none that I would put my trust in entirely.

But again, I've only been at this for a couple of months. So maybe I'm missing something. Where, if anywhere at all, do you go for your comic book reviews?

Lonely Hoarder

i usually just stick to comicvine for general stuff but everyone has heard of that site
This is super hypocritical of me to say since I write comic book reviews myself, but I ******** hate them and only read them when they're suggested to me or written by one of my pals who contributes to the same site as me.

A majority of reviewers don't just not know what they're doing, they don't care that they don't know. Most of them -- especially on "major" comic news websites -- ignore the artwork entirely in their review, or cram a few ignorant, half-assed sentences at the end that reference pencils, inking, and coloring all in one brief breath despite the huge individual efforts required of each process and the fact that they're usually done by different people. They tend to take a haughty tone when discussing a comic's plot points, because they think aggressive and dismissive equals edgy and intelligent. And almost every review I've ever read outside of Comicosity starts off with an unnecessary spoonfeeding of the issue's every happening, which irritates the ever-loving s**t out of me: either I'm reading it because I'm curious as to if the book is good enough to pick up, or I'm reading it because I want a second opinion on a book I've read... either way, I don't need a page-by-page breakdown of everything that happened.

Basically, ******** comic book reviews. At most, check out http://comicsalliance.com/ or http://comicosity.com/

If you want to have intelligent discussion about comics, try Twitter. While conversation is broken into 140 character tidbits, regular fans tend to be really engaging and you'll get more out of a string of tweets than you will a whole 500 to 2000 word pile of s**t from any one of the eight hundred guys who "aspire to one day break into the industry" (according to their review bios) that they know ******** about.

(Though to be fair, comic book reviews are almost all written for free by contributors that do it out of passion for the medium (like meeee); there are very, very, VERY few paid gigs. So I guess if you don't get paid for it, you're less likely to amass the background knowledge and finesse required for better quality pieces.)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff