Welcome to Gaia! ::

Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
When it comes to superheroes, I'm more akin to story, but will sometimes pick something up by art.

Otherwise, I very much pick up comics for art moreso than story. Part of it because I'm studying graphic novel art and sequential art, so I kinda have to! But I like to pick up graphic novels at bookstores without knowing absolutely anything about it to begin with, and may judge by the art alone. It doesn't necessarily have to be technically savvy -- in fact, I sometimes like to find art with very experimental qualities, or really nice stylization and stuff. It's fun to discover random things like that sometimes.

what type of graphic novels do you like? very cool that you are studying that.. amazing.. wish i could do something like that lol...

have you read The Fountain? i know it was made into a movie (never saw it) but the graphic novel is pretty amazing, and in many portions the artwork is kinda almost primitive..

I like many kinds! My teacher, Gary Amaro (who's done stuff for Books of Magic) has introduced a lot of really weird stuff that's influenced my own collecting, so I got some bizarre things in my collection.
I tend to like a lot of Vertigo stuff (esp. some of the 80's/early-90's that were really experimental). I also really tend to be really attracted to dark fantasy, surreal fantasy, gothic horror, and Alice in Wonderland/Oz-like adventures. Lynchian or stream of consciousness-like stuff also really catches my eye. I also like culture-inspired stories, offbeat action/adventure, anything with art nouveau or Expressionist design. I'm a bit rather particular with sci-fi, hi-fantasy, and family/relation-dramas though (but there are pleeenty I enjoy!). I think I might do a thread here eventually to showcase some of the weird stuff I got (and to see what other stuff people got)... that always interests me, hehe.

Gary once showed us The Fountain, I've browsed through it, but I haven't actually read it yet (next time I see it for a decent price, I will pick it up). I know the movie and the graphic novel are distinct from each other (neither is an adaptation of the other). The movie was cancelled, so Darren Aronofsky made it a graphic novel with Kent Williams free to interpret the script his way, but then the movie was green lit again, so he continued with that in a completely different way, so I hear.

Dapper Darling

7,950 Points
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
I love comic art. I can definitely buy a whole series even if I don't care for the story if the art is outstanding.

PrinceJello's Husband

Dedicated Genius

Superham! How I have missed thee! biggrin

Would have to agree with Kal-el on this one. Artists like Ross, Bolland, and Aparo bring something extraordinary to the table when they work on an issue or series. And sadly, the art can also break it for me :. But that's more personal reference since some fans like more realism whereas some like more digital art. Guess it all depends on the comic itself and which universe it takes place in. Wouldn't usually find realism from Ross in a Darkwing Duck story xd .
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
When it comes to superheroes, I'm more akin to story, but will sometimes pick something up by art.

Otherwise, I very much pick up comics for art moreso than story. Part of it because I'm studying graphic novel art and sequential art, so I kinda have to! But I like to pick up graphic novels at bookstores without knowing absolutely anything about it to begin with, and may judge by the art alone. It doesn't necessarily have to be technically savvy -- in fact, I sometimes like to find art with very experimental qualities, or really nice stylization and stuff. It's fun to discover random things like that sometimes.

what type of graphic novels do you like? very cool that you are studying that.. amazing.. wish i could do something like that lol...

have you read The Fountain? i know it was made into a movie (never saw it) but the graphic novel is pretty amazing, and in many portions the artwork is kinda almost primitive..

I like many kinds! My teacher, Gary Amaro (who's done stuff for Books of Magic) has introduced a lot of really weird stuff that's influenced my own collecting, so I got some bizarre things in my collection.
I tend to like a lot of Vertigo stuff (esp. some of the 80's/early-90's that were really experimental). I also really tend to be really attracted to dark fantasy, surreal fantasy, gothic horror, and Alice in Wonderland/Oz-like adventures. Lynchian or stream of consciousness-like stuff also really catches my eye. I also like culture-inspired stories, offbeat action/adventure, anything with art nouveau or Expressionist design. I'm a bit rather particular with sci-fi, hi-fantasy, and family/relation-dramas though (but there are pleeenty I enjoy!). I think I might do a thread here eventually to showcase some of the weird stuff I got (and to see what other stuff people got)... that always interests me, hehe.

Gary once showed us The Fountain, I've browsed through it, but I haven't actually read it yet (next time I see it for a decent price, I will pick it up). I know the movie and the graphic novel are distinct from each other (neither is an adaptation of the other). The movie was cancelled, so Darren Aronofsky made it a graphic novel with Kent Williams free to interpret the script his way, but then the movie was green lit again, so he continued with that in a completely different way, so I hear.

have you heard of Roman Dirge? he does a black and white comic called Lenore about a little dead girl.. very very funny.. he has done some one shot type things which are really hilarious and somewhat twisted.. when you say Vertigo stuff from the 80s/90s what were you referring to? thats the time period that i love..

i heard something about that with The Fountain regarding the graphic novel and the movie.. i never saw the movie as i heard many awful things about it but i was hooked from page 1 with the graphic novel..
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf

have you heard of Roman Dirge? he does a black and white comic called Lenore about a little dead girl.. very very funny.. he has done some one shot type things which are really hilarious and somewhat twisted.. when you say Vertigo stuff from the 80s/90s what were you referring to? thats the time period that i love..

i heard something about that with The Fountain regarding the graphic novel and the movie.. i never saw the movie as i heard many awful things about it but i was hooked from page 1 with the graphic novel..

I haven't heard of Roman Dirge, but I've seen Lenore about in bookstores (it's by SLG, I think?), definitely something I'd like to check out, seems very much something up my alley.

Well, I have some rather interesting pre-2000s Vertigo stuff sitting around here: Moonshadow, Mercy, Toxic Gumbo, Breathtaker, House of Secrets... of course, Sandman and plenty of Sandman spin-offs here too (Books of Magic, Lucifer, Thessally, Death, etc... but no Dead Boy Detectives yet here lol)
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf

I haven't heard of Roman Dirge, but I've seen Lenore about in bookstores (it's by SLG, I think?), definitely something I'd like to check out, seems very much something up my alley.

Well, I have some rather interesting pre-2000s Vertigo stuff sitting around here: Moonshadow, Mercy, Toxic Gumbo, Breathtaker, House of Secrets... of course, Sandman and plenty of Sandman spin-offs here too (Books of Magic, Lucifer, Thessally, Death, etc... but no Dead Boy Detectives yet here lol)

i love Lenore, one of my favorites.. just my type of sarcasm and twisted darkness LOL.. have you read Death Jr? another goodie.. obviously made more for kids but just as fun to read. have you read Crimson? a good comic about vampires but a totally different take on them. only 24 issues total by the time it was canceled but it was a good solid read.

love Moonshadow.. i'll have to look up some of the others you mentioned. have you read Preacher? i love Death - The Time of Your Life is my favorite.. love Sandman too.. had a few more on my mind to mention but of course i just had a brain fart and can't remember any of them LOL...
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf

i love Lenore, one of my favorites.. just my type of sarcasm and twisted darkness LOL.. have you read Death Jr? another goodie.. obviously made more for kids but just as fun to read. have you read Crimson? a good comic about vampires but a totally different take on them. only 24 issues total by the time it was canceled but it was a good solid read.

love Moonshadow.. i'll have to look up some of the others you mentioned. have you read Preacher? i love Death - The Time of Your Life is my favorite.. love Sandman too.. had a few more on my mind to mention but of course i just had a brain fart and can't remember any of them LOL...

I haven't read Death Jr., I saw a book at the bookstore the other day and considered picking it up though, so I may do that during the week or so, especially with Mike Mignola's pretty cover art!

I haven't read any Preacher yet, but I own a few books here, but all of it in the middle of the series, lol. So I can't start on it yet xD Yeah, I love the Death books. I just recently picked up the Death manga, haven't read that yet, but I heard it wasn't so good, lol, but guess I'll see xD
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf

I haven't read Death Jr., I saw a book at the bookstore the other day and considered picking it up though, so I may do that during the week or so, especially with Mike Mignola's pretty cover art!

I haven't read any Preacher yet, but I own a few books here, but all of it in the middle of the series, lol. So I can't start on it yet xD Yeah, I love the Death books. I just recently picked up the Death manga, haven't read that yet, but I heard it wasn't so good, lol, but guess I'll see xD

the Death manga.. is that the one with the red cover? i used to have it but lost it somewhere along the way. remember it being "meh" but not the worst. it is what it is.. death as a manga LOL.. they made it waaaay too cutesy but hey, that's what a manga is i suppose.

smile
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf

the Death manga.. is that the one with the red cover? i used to have it but lost it somewhere along the way. remember it being "meh" but not the worst. it is what it is.. death as a manga LOL.. they made it waaaay too cutesy but hey, that's what a manga is i suppose.

smile

Lolll, yes, the red cover xDD
Speaking of cutesy, have you read The Little Endless Storybook? There's two books, both also illustrated by Jill Thompson (who did the Death manga, as well as some Sandman issues). They're cute children books with the Sandman characters, hahah.
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf

smile

Speaking of cutesy, have you read The Little Endless Storybook? There's two books, both also illustrated by Jill Thompson (who did the Death manga, as well as some Sandman issues). They're cute children books with the Sandman characters, hahah.

nope i'll have to look into The Little Endless Storybook.. i just love everything Sandman so guess i'll have to see it. have you read Sandman Endless Nights? was a compilation of different stories and artists about each sibling.. not bad but i was not impressed with the artwork. bought it sight unseen. but still, an ok read if you love Sandman.
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf

smile

nope i'll have to look into The Little Endless Storybook.. i just love everything Sandman so guess i'll have to see it. have you read Sandman Endless Nights? was a compilation of different stories and artists about each sibling.. not bad but i was not impressed with the artwork. bought it sight unseen. but still, an ok read if you love Sandman.

Haha, I loved Endless Nights! I loved the art too (except not that crazy about Glenn Fabry's art on the Destruction story... but the story itself was one of my favorites). The Delerium and Despair chapters got a bit too abstract for me story-wise, but I still quite loved the experimental approach of 'em.
I also thought it was one of Frank Quitely's best art-wise (I looove his work in We3, but I didn't like his stuff on X-Men and Superman... it usually has to do with whoever's coloring his work though, more so than his actual drawings)
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf

smile

Haha, I loved Endless Nights! I loved the art too (except not that crazy about Glenn Fabry's art on the Destruction story... but the story itself was one of my favorites). The Delerium and Despair chapters got a bit too abstract for me story-wise, but I still quite loved the experimental approach of 'em.
I also thought it was one of Frank Quitely's best art-wise (I looove his work in We3, but I didn't like his stuff on X-Men and Superman... it usually has to do with whoever's coloring his work though, more so than his actual drawings)

Frank Quitely is amazing.. i do love his work, more though because he is just so unique compared to most artists out there in comics.. just very different. i do have a love for mainstream comics like justice league and xmen - don't judge me LOL.. Frank Quitely did a graphic novel called Earth 2 (a justice league graphic novel) very awesome.. what do you think about Adam Hughes?
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf
Angry Cattiegurl
Shadowolf

smile

Frank Quitely is amazing.. i do love his work, more though because he is just so unique compared to most artists out there in comics.. just very different. i do have a love for mainstream comics like justice league and xmen - don't judge me LOL.. Frank Quitely did a graphic novel called Earth 2 (a justice league graphic novel) very awesome.. what do you think about Adam Hughes?

Yeah! Adam Hughes is amazing. Like I said, I have a thing for anything art nouveau-inspired, and Hughes is one of them. I'd seen his work before (his Catwoman especially) but didn't know him by name until I was talking to my fellow art students over dinner about a year back, hehe. I don't own any publication featuring his work yet though (I need to get on top of that!)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff