Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anyone else love comic books for the artwork? Soooo many comics I follow because of the artwork alone.. The Fountain (graphic novel) illustrated by Kent Williams.. Michael Turner, Adam Hughes, George Perez, Alex Ross... anyone?
I usually follow writers ast opposed to artists. Right now I'm aiting to see the new Fantastic Four stuff getting ready to come out because of Bagley and Allred.

Dangerous Visionary

Kyoujin Tsuru
I usually follow writers ast opposed to artists. Right now I'm aiting to see the new Fantastic Four stuff getting ready to come out because of Bagley and Allred.

Yeah I'm a story over art person myself. The only time I really bother if its too sexist and/or disgusting for my taste.

Friendly Gaian

7,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
George Perez... O MAH GAWD. Well that's enough fangirling I would say. No, seriously, I admire Mr. Perez especially for the creation of this bad a** amazing Tamaranian alien princess known as Starfire aka Koriand'r. 3nodding
I've had the pleasure of being in the SAME building as Adam Hughes as well as Marv Wolfman and the colorist for Red Hood & The Outlaws - his name escapes me. I lean more towards the art compared to the story writers in comics compared to, say, a DC cartoon like Young Justice - now I really praise their writers on that. I find the many different art styles for comic series to be very interesting such as in Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale - now at first I thought the art style was funky but as you get into the series, you really start to appreciate it~ Grant Morrison and the many artist he used for his run on Batman & Robin was also very interesting especially with the many different art tecnique each book had. I could go on and on but really, the art only makes up about 50% of the comic itself, the other 50% would be the story and the plot. It's more of a hit or miss when it comes to the writing compared to the art which rarely fails to please. mrgreen
An interesting form of expression. I like the comics in which there are parallel dimensions and mythical creatures. I just read the comic Gea, about a girl who is a Protector, fights the demons and the like. ~ Sometimes violent scenes may seem stressful. Why art can not withstand the cruelty of real life, although I'm interested in the concept of mythology that is supposed to lead towards constant destruction of demons and evil beings.
Dark_Legend94
George Perez... O MAH GAWD. Well that's enough fangirling I would say. No, seriously, I admire Mr. Perez especially for the creation of this bad a** amazing Tamaranian alien princess known as Starfire aka Koriand'r. 3nodding
I've had the pleasure of being in the SAME building as Adam Hughes as well as Marv Wolfman and the colorist for Red Hood & The Outlaws - his name escapes me. I lean more towards the art compared to the story writers in comics compared to, say, a DC cartoon like Young Justice - now I really praise their writers on that. I find the many different art styles for comic series to be very interesting such as in Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale - now at first I thought the art style was funky but as you get into the series, you really start to appreciate it~ Grant Morrison and the many artist he used for his run on Batman & Robin was also very interesting especially with the many different art tecnique each book had. I could go on and on but really, the art only makes up about 50% of the comic itself, the other 50% would be the story and the plot. It's more of a hit or miss when it comes to the writing compared to the art which rarely fails to please. mrgreen

I grew up reading the New Teen Titans with George Perez doing the artwork, and then when Wonder Woman came out again in the 80s relaunching with Perez doing the art I was stunned. He is amazing. I haven't been up to date with new comics lately so I'll have to look into Red Hood & The Outlaws, something I've been meaning to read. Another love of mine would have to be Jim Lee.. his work on Batman Hush was nothing short of incredible. For me, if the art doesn't do anything for me then I rarely can get into the story. It does have to be a 50/50 when it comes to a comic I can really get into.. and If I can't get into the story the art will rarely draw me in.. what good is a comic if the story isn't anything?

Friendly Gaian

7,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Angry Cattiegurl
Dark_Legend94

I grew up reading the New Teen Titans with George Perez doing the artwork, and then when Wonder Woman came out again in the 80s relaunching with Perez doing the art I was stunned. He is amazing. I haven't been up to date with new comics lately so I'll have to look into Red Hood & The Outlaws, something I've been meaning to read. Another love of mine would have to be Jim Lee.. his work on Batman Hush was nothing short of incredible. For me, if the art doesn't do anything for me then I rarely can get into the story. It does have to be a 50/50 when it comes to a comic I can really get into.. and If I can't get into the story the art will rarely draw me in.. what good is a comic if the story isn't anything?

Wow, he's worked on Wonder Woman? I didn't know that. I'll have to collect more of his works. I really enjoy Marv Wolfman and his work on NTT as well as Nightwing comics. Well, personally, for me - if you don't want your image of 80's Starfire to be ruined and burned to a crisp - do NOT read RHATO. Personally that series does not exist to me, I like to pretend it was never created, even George Perez doesn't like their take on Starfire. I'll admit, the art and coloring is pretty amazing in that series but the characters itself... it breaks my heart and makes my eye twitch. A sex kitten Starfire, a dumb red neck Red Arrow, and a man who doesn't know what the hell he wants Red Hood. Ehhh no thanks. They say the story gets better as the series goes but I think I'll pass it - again, it's my opinion. I agree~ the art has to more or less speak to you and draw you in if the story doesn't at first but if the story is no good then how can you appreciate the art trying to visualize the story for you? 3nodding
I've heard of Jim Lee but I have yet to read the Hush storyline. The only comic I have with Elliot would be Streets of Gotham in where he pretends to be Bruce and tries to bankrupt his fortune. As for new comics, they're all in the line of The New 52 series. Which basically relaunched and rebooted MANY series. So character costumes are different, some heroes missing altogether, some major events never existed, and there's only 52 DC alternate universes. I personally stick to pre-52 comics because there's many and I can appreciate them for what they are instead of raging. Not everything in the New 52 series is completely horrible as I've heard from others but it depends on which characters you follow. Just like in this new series, Wonder Woman and Superman are the new 'it' couple...
When it comes to superheroes, I'm more akin to story, but will sometimes pick something up by art.

Otherwise, I very much pick up comics for art moreso than story. Part of it because I'm studying graphic novel art and sequential art, so I kinda have to! But I like to pick up graphic novels at bookstores without knowing absolutely anything about it to begin with, and may judge by the art alone. It doesn't necessarily have to be technically savvy -- in fact, I sometimes like to find art with very experimental qualities, or really nice stylization and stuff. It's fun to discover random things like that sometimes.

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
I consider comic pages, covers, commissions, and promotional art to be absolutely suitable for home decor so I'd say yes, I love the artwork. That said, I like a lot of artists but it would take the work of one of my favourites for me to purchase a comics based on their contribution to it alone.
Dark_Legend94
Angry Cattiegurl
Dark_Legend94

Wow, he's worked on Wonder Woman? I didn't know that. I'll have to collect more of his works. I really enjoy Marv Wolfman and his work on NTT as well as Nightwing comics. Well, personally, for me - if you don't want your image of 80's Starfire to be ruined and burned to a crisp - do NOT read RHATO. Personally that series does not exist to me, I like to pretend it was never created, even George Perez doesn't like their take on Starfire. I'll admit, the art and coloring is pretty amazing in that series but the characters itself... it breaks my heart and makes my eye twitch. A sex kitten Starfire, a dumb red neck Red Arrow, and a man who doesn't know what the hell he wants Red Hood. Ehhh no thanks. They say the story gets better as the series goes but I think I'll pass it - again, it's my opinion. I agree~ the art has to more or less speak to you and draw you in if the story doesn't at first but if the story is no good then how can you appreciate the art trying to visualize the story for you? 3nodding
I've heard of Jim Lee but I have yet to read the Hush storyline. The only comic I have with Elliot would be Streets of Gotham in where he pretends to be Bruce and tries to bankrupt his fortune. As for new comics, they're all in the line of The New 52 series. Which basically relaunched and rebooted MANY series. So character costumes are different, some heroes missing altogether, some major events never existed, and there's only 52 DC alternate universes. I personally stick to pre-52 comics because there's many and I can appreciate them for what they are instead of raging. Not everything in the New 52 series is completely horrible as I've heard from others but it depends on which characters you follow. Just like in this new series, Wonder Woman and Superman are the new 'it' couple...

Absolutely look into the WW relaunch from the 80s.. she never looked so good as when George Perez drew her.. just something about his artwork, he made her so innocent yet strong. amazing. i'm still kinda torn on most of the New 52 stuff. trying to get into some of it but i just feel like comics aren't what they used to be. you HAVE to read Batman Hush, its amazing. i don't know how many they came out with, but i have the first two graphic novels and i just drool when i read it over and over. i have to admit that he makes Superman and Batman look like they are pumped up on steroids but he does that with all of his superheroes. Jim Lee relaunched The Xmen in 1991 or 1992 (starting over at issue #1) and its pretty awesome as well. he just has a very cool look. another artist i'm in love with has to be Francis Manapul Livesay - he did a couple of the recent Legion of Superheroes graphic novels and he really is incredible.. as for New 52.. i bought the new WW and i'm still conflicted. they brought things back to basics, but i'm not sure about the artwork.. i like it but at the same time i feel like its very... primitive for lack of a better word. i also bought the new Justice League just because i used to follow it a long time ago and have followed it through many different incarnations throughout the years. like i said, i'm still conflicted going back and forth about it. can you suggest any New 52 lines that you like?
Snowflake Dawn
An interesting form of expression. I like the comics in which there are parallel dimensions and mythical creatures. I just read the comic Gea, about a girl who is a Protector, fights the demons and the like. ~ Sometimes violent scenes may seem stressful. Why art can not withstand the cruelty of real life, although I'm interested in the concept of mythology that is supposed to lead towards constant destruction of demons and evil beings.

sounds really interesting.. can you suggest any comics?
Miss-dark8607
Kyoujin Tsuru

Yeah I'm a story over art person myself. The only time I really bother if its too sexist and/or disgusting for my taste.

i hear ya.. what comics do you like?
Shadowolf
When it comes to superheroes, I'm more akin to story, but will sometimes pick something up by art.

Otherwise, I very much pick up comics for art moreso than story. Part of it because I'm studying graphic novel art and sequential art, so I kinda have to! But I like to pick up graphic novels at bookstores without knowing absolutely anything about it to begin with, and may judge by the art alone. It doesn't necessarily have to be technically savvy -- in fact, I sometimes like to find art with very experimental qualities, or really nice stylization and stuff. It's fun to discover random things like that sometimes.

what type of graphic novels do you like? very cool that you are studying that.. amazing.. wish i could do something like that lol...

have you read The Fountain? i know it was made into a movie (never saw it) but the graphic novel is pretty amazing, and in many portions the artwork is kinda almost primitive..
Angry Cattiegurl
Snowflake Dawn

sounds really interesting.. can you suggest any comics?
Il baluardo it is Protector or something like that translated on English. Amazing girl fighter against demons is main character.

Dangerous Visionary

Angry Cattiegurl
Miss-dark8607
Kyoujin Tsuru

i hear ya.. what comics do you like?

Check out my Tumblr on comics

That's a general idea on what comics I like. (Minus the DC and Sailor Moon related things since I have different blogs for them)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff