Welcome to Gaia! ::

Has anyone else but me started to read/collect the Batman Beyond Comics that have come out lately? This year for the New 52 Batman Beyond got picked back up from its series story from 2010-2011 which continued the Comics/Animated series from 1999-2001 in a New Series called "Batman Beyond Unlimited" Not sure if anyone else here has seen or heard of it, I think its "Ok" not enjoying it as much as the older comics personally due to all the Justice League business tied into it, tho the comics are giant sized, with several stories, so unlike many of the "New 52" series that I buy, with this series I feel like I get more story and bang for my buck to hold me over until next month's issue lol. Many of the other comics today seem to have more adds/commerical space and less story compared to my older comics. So Batman Beyond Unlimited gives more for your money, several stories, and continues the widely popular and successful darker story of the Dark Knight from the Future!
I'm really happy they bought the series back, since I'm such a huge fan of the cartoon.
I only read the Hush storyline though, and a little bit of one of the Justice League ones (with the green radioactive dude). Can't say much on the latter yet since I only got two issues, but the Hush one was ... pretty bad. So many unnecessary references to Batman's past... one of the things they mentioned in the cartoon commentaries, I remember, was how they wanted to avoid that ("Robo Penguin", a clone of Two-Face, etc...), it was all the new enemies that made the cartoon interesting (while the actual pullbacks were interesting and sparse enough).
Still, I can let it slide if some good stories will eventually be told...

Man-Hungry Noob

I loved the TV show, just rewatched it over the summer. I have been picking up all the issues of BB Unlimited, but haven't read them yet. I'm not a fan of the way they zigzag (Putting stories 1 and 3 in issue 1, stories 2 and 4 in issue 2, etc).
Shadowolf
I'm really happy they bought the series back, since I'm such a huge fan of the cartoon.
I only read the Hush storyline though, and a little bit of one of the Justice League ones (with the green radioactive dude). Can't say much on the latter yet since I only got two issues, but the Hush one was ... pretty bad. So many unnecessary references to Batman's past... one of the things they mentioned in the cartoon commentaries, I remember, was how they wanted to avoid that ("Robo Penguin", a clone of Two-Face, etc...), it was all the new enemies that made the cartoon interesting (while the actual pullbacks were interesting and sparse enough).
Still, I can let it slide if some good stories will eventually be told...

Lol you sir hit the nail on the head Perfectly for why I'm not enjoying his 2010, 2011, and 2012 reboots. Because he is now in the Justice League which Bruce and him were against the entire 3 seasons, and 30 comic books during the series that these new series are to continue off of. There are even more references to Batman's past, and it seems like all the foes Terry has faced in the new comics are old bad guys from Bruce's past which is also what Batman Beyond originally wanted to stay away from. Grundy is still around, Lex has a daughter, and several other bad guys are still around and causing trouble which I don't like. The only Batman Beyond villain I've seen so far is Mad Stan and his dog Boom Boom, and some Jokerz. However they aren't using any of Terry's Beyond timeline rouges gallery, and the Jokerz don't see as high tech and futuristic as they always were. Plus Terry's girlfriend Dana you find out has a brother who comes out of jail who becomes the leader of the Jokerz, and a man who killed Terry's dad (yet we thought it was the bodyguard who killed Terry's father in the series, they are now saying the bodyguard had some grunt do it). The grunt ends up wanting to repent for his past and that murder, and ends up teaming up with Terry with neither of them knowing who either of them are and how the guy killed Terry's dad putting him on the path to be Batman. The foes are all new ones made up for this series, there is also a Catwoman Beyond now. So I'm not really caring for how they'd rather make up entirely new characters or go to such heights to dig up old Batman villains. I feel if they can't stick to the future, to the character, and to the story, then they shouldn't be the ones in charge of making it as they know nothing about it. Also there is a TON of Justice League stuff....most the Batman Beyond Unlimited Series, and it seems its mostly all about Superman. Yet the reason most people enjoyed Batman Beyond was like what you and I said was for Terry McGinnis and the Batman Beyond character. This new series while I'm glad they thought to bring it back, it doesn't stay too close to the Animated Series and his old comics. Its nice for fans who want more, tho the people in charge don't know what they are doing. I've already seen Bruce Wayne put on his old Batman Cowl and come outta retirement to save Superman and d**k Grayson bring back an old aged Nightwing so far.
Wow, only Mad Stan has popped into the series at all? Sounds to me definitely too much Justice League D=
I'll still pick it all up to read only 'cause I'm a big Beyond fan, but... yeah, it sounds to me this was a really big disappointment. I hope they might (hopelessly crossing fingers) change it up and finally make it more like the TV show. It's a bit ridiculous as is having these future events in a crossover with more current events, sheesh!

I still have some hopes for Batman Beyond mainly because one of the editors berated and reversed a decision to kill off Mad Stan in Hush Beyond. Killing off Terry's enemies was a low move and did absolutely nothing for the series. Continuity errors within itself is presented in Hush Beyond, which led me to consider it non-canon for the sake that it contradicts itself and does more harm than good. Having Mad Stand return was a good step, and even better within his portrayal in his short appearance in Unlimited. I honestly don't think the current writers actually saw Beyond, and given that Joker plugged d**k full of holes, after the Tim Drake incident, supports this. However, the main editor has, so there's that.

Personally, I'd rather not see anymore of the generational characters as that was one of the major things that the creators of Beyond didn't want. We don't have Scarecrow Beyond or Mr. Freeze Beyond. He have Blight, we have Shriek, we have Inq, we have Spellbinder. With characters like these, why do we need a Catwoman Beyond?

Maybe a new writing team can pick it up and do something neat with it. I'm kind of sick of seeing Terry play second fiddle to everyone.
Shadowolf
Wow, only Mad Stan has popped into the series at all? Sounds to me definitely too much Justice League D=
I'll still pick it all up to read only 'cause I'm a big Beyond fan, but... yeah, it sounds to me this was a really big disappointment. I hope they might (hopelessly crossing fingers) change it up and finally make it more like the TV show. It's a bit ridiculous as is having these future events in a crossover with more current events, sheesh!

I wish they would, as it doesn't seem like it fits well with the Animated Series, its almost like the writers haven't ever watched the show. The technology doesn't seem quite as advanced, they hardly use the word "schway" or "Slag it" or any of the lingo from Terry's time. They keep making up new characters heros and villains alike. And what really angers me is that EVERY issue they keep bringing back villains from Bruce Wayne's and Clark Kent's past. I saw an upcoming cover and Lobo will be back. So there's Lobo, Grundy, Lex Luthors Ghost in a computer who guides his daughter to finish Superman. I've seen Darkseid, and a few other old villains from the past. Bruce even had to save Superman and put on a armored Batman Cowl yet not like the one he used in the series, his mouth etc. was exposed like his original costume. Terry has had a red cape as his suit got damaged so he had to use one that is in between Bruce's old suit and the Beyond suit. Now there are Jokerz and Cobras causing trouble, the Jokerz are coming from all over different cities, most of which don't seem up to today's technology let alone Terry's. Catwoman Beyond, another new hero, and Nightwing will be helping Terry here soon in a big battle. Oh, and d**k Grayson has openly admitted he was Nightwing and is an old man. I personally recommend it for fans of Batman Beyond and Terry McGinnis like us. However you'll probably be sitting there like I was saying "Oh come on, did you watch the damn cartoon?" lol
ydoubother
I still have some hopes for Batman Beyond mainly because one of the editors berated and reversed a decision to kill off Mad Stan in Hush Beyond. Killing off Terry's enemies was a low move and did absolutely nothing for the series. Continuity errors within itself is presented in Hush Beyond, which led me to consider it non-canon for the sake that it contradicts itself and does more harm than good. Having Mad Stand return was a good step, and even better within his portrayal in his short appearance in Unlimited. I honestly don't think the current writers actually saw Beyond, and given that Joker plugged d**k full of holes, after the Tim Drake incident, supports this. However, the main editor has, so there's that.

Personally, I'd rather not see anymore of the generational characters as that was one of the major things that the creators of Beyond didn't want. We don't have Scarecrow Beyond or Mr. Freeze Beyond. He have Blight, we have Shriek, we have Inq, we have Spellbinder. With characters like these, why do we need a Catwoman Beyond?

Maybe a new writing team can pick it up and do something neat with it. I'm kind of sick of seeing Terry play second fiddle to everyone.

Thank You! I don't feel like they saw Batman Beyond either. So far I haven't seen Blight, Stalker, Inque, Shriek, the Rat Boy, Willy or his Golem, etc. there it is to be a continuation of the series tho, sadly. There are some Batman Beyond appearances that are not set to be cannon. The story is to go from:

Batman Beyond Mini Series 1-6 1999
Batman Beyond Ongoing Series 1-24 1999-2001
Batman Beyond Return of the Joker Tie In
Superman Adventures #64 (Kinda an issue 25 tho in a Superman Comic, where Terry has to go back in time due to a problem Superman caused, however while in the past Braniac takes control over the Beyond suit and Terry and Present Day Superman have to beat him.)

Years later it gets picked up in Superman/Batman Annual #4 in 2007 where it became a "Legit" DC Universe Character, before nerds considered Terry Animated series only and didn't accept him. Then it got these series that continued from it:

Batman Beyond Mini Series 2010 1-6
Batman Beyond Ongoing Series 2011 1-8
Superman Beyond #0 One Shot
Batman Beyond Unlimited Ongoing 2012 1-8/9 so far.

Terry has been in some other comics but they aren't to be a continuation like one famous example is Batman #700 which has Damian Wayne as Terry's mentor not Bruce. So its sad they don't seem to know anything about the show/series in this new "Unlimited" title. And your right Terry is playing second fiddle to everyone. I don't like seeing him take a back seat and playing sidekick, hes now in the Justice League going to other planets, doing Justice League missions, and having others in Gotham help him out (Catwoman Beyond, Vigilante, etc.) while I'm always excited to see Terry get new series, part of me kinda dreads to read how they are going to screw up Batman Beyond next. So I have a love/hate relationship with the series.
fudaykjnura7
I loved the TV show, just rewatched it over the summer. I have been picking up all the issues of BB Unlimited, but haven't read them yet. I'm not a fan of the way they zigzag (Putting stories 1 and 3 in issue 1, stories 2 and 4 in issue 2, etc).

I hated that too. I have every comic book Terry McGinnis or the "Batman Beyond" costume has ever been in including the specials, variant covers, reprints, etc. and one thing I always look for is a good solid Issue #1 one that gets them a opening and a feel for how the series is going to be. When reading Batman Beyond and they put it in a "To be Continued in issue 2 and 3" I didn't feel like we got a real issue 1 because you'd need the first 3 issues to feel like you got a real story and feel for the series to see how you think you'd like to add it to your reading list. I love the 48 pages as I'm getting more story and more adventures from the Beyond time so I look forward to that as theres less ads, and more story for your buck. You feel like your getting a good amount of pages, now if only they weren't cut into 3 stories because that makes those 48 pages feel so much shorter when Terry is ignored on several covers of his own series, and completely ignored in several stories in his comic lol. So that "Oh boy I'm getting 48 pages of story" when you buy it quickly turns into a "Darn did I see Terry for a good 6-10 pages? Hope next issue of Batman Beyond shows more Batman Beyond". lol

Devoted Member

I am just interested in the Batman Beyond and Superman Beyond stories.

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
I've always been a fan of BB but i haven't had money to buy any of the comics. hear they're generally awesome, with some low points but that's the same for any comic.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

5,000 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Contributor 150
I haven't read any of the comics yet. But I loved the show. And Return of the Joker is one of my favorite batman animated movies.
BjordahlKathryn1991
I haven't read any of the comics yet. But I loved the show. And Return of the Joker is one of my favorite batman animated movies.

Mine too, the other favorite is Under the Red Hood. Both are darker Batman Movies. The 1999-2001 Batman Beyond Comics that tied to the Animated Series continues where the cartoon left off and revisited all the Beyond Villians. If I could figure out how to post a pic from PS3 onto here I'd show a Batman Beyond I made in the DCUO game lol.
I agree completely. I am so excited that they brought such a great story back. They've given it a whole universe of its own within DC Comics and new art and it's.. I mean, it's canon now and that's just so brilliant because it deserves it. They've added the Superman of that time and the Justice League and everything, all of which were in the show originally (Best episodes: The Call, Pt. I & II). It's just a huge victory and says a lot about how comics and television can both influence each other.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff