Welcome to Gaia! ::

Long answer:

Basically, it's wrong to think of any given comic line as being a single story in the continuity sense. Even within a supposedly singular world, such as the Ultimate Marvel Universe, or Earth 616.

What happens is that even though you have characters that are nominally the same- Batman, Spiderman, whoever- the authors change. And each author brings a different take on each character. Bob Kane's Batman is different from Adam West Batman is different from Frank Miller Batman.

And what's true about character personality is WAY more true of storylines and the supporting Universe for the hero or heroes. The last author may have wanted to turn the title line into a space opera, but the current author wants to bring the line back into a gritty, street-crime level, vaguely noirish feel.

This transition from author to author is the biggest single source of plot confusion in comic books. One author may sow the seeds of a long-running story they plan on telling, but leave before finishing it. The next author wants to pursue their own vision, so they alter things. This is also where a lot of characters get killed off, brought back from the dead, made evil, made good, converted or unconverted. Magneto will go from being a genocidal maniac who kicks puppies into a misguided visionary, into a good guy, back into a genocidal maniac depending on the desires and personal preferences of whoever's writing the story.

On tv.tropes.org, the term "Kudzu Plot", for plot ends that grow out of control, used to be called the Claremont Coefficient, for an X-Men author notorious for leaving unresolved plot lines.

And this is before there's a big crossover event or push from editing that throws a monkey wrench into whatever plot the author was planning for that standalone title.

The Ultimate universe is a good example of this. It started out as a vision of a streamlined, clean repackaging of decades of Marvel plotlines. They threw out what didn't make sense and constructed coherent backgrounds. However, it's been a few years on, and it's already starting to fall apart. Loeb's Ultimates (the Avengers) is one of the most egregious examples; Pyro is portrayed as basically a rapist puppy-kicking villain in one issue, for instance... despite the fact that Ultimate Pyro is actually one of the good guys in Ultimate X-Men.

Personally, I enjoy stories where the continuity issue is left vague and the author just creates a self-encapsulated plotline using whatever makes sense for them. Kingdom Come, The Dark Knight Returns, and 52 may all contradict each other, but they were great reads by themselves. The Joker, for instance, is a character that's gotten a fair number of dramatic deaths, but he's also too iconic and fun a villain to tell any new author, "Gee, well, we killed that character way back in '84, so you can't use him". They're not telling the same story anyway, they just happen to feature protagonists with the same name.

Short answer:

Joe Quesada has serious parent issues.
I wonder if Marvel has a "Break in case of crap sales" case that has the script where May dies forever.

I mean Spiderman is a major cashcow of Marvel so what other way to get fans reinterested in a bad fall in sales (apart from giving us a good storyline that clears up the Clones saga stuff and Symbiotes because we all know Marvel loves to keeps that confusing)
Comic book fans stopped buying the "X is dead forever" line with Superman. Even more so when Jason Todd and Bucky came back.

Pretty much the only people still dead are Uncle Ben and the senior Waynes.

3,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
BUMP I Still believe the old lady should've passed on and Pete should have gone on with his life
Black Wind 009
I Still believe the old lady should've passed on and Pete should have gone on with his life

Sometimes it's just really hard to let go and move on though.

Aged Millionaire

8,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
User Image ------------------------------- User Image

How many times has May died now?

I thought she died back right before the MC2 timeline diverged from 616 and then again before that load of crap that One More Day is was rammed down our throats by Quesada.

I'd like to second that Quesada has parent issues. I mean, banning smoking from that entire corner of the industry because his daddy died of lung cancer? Oh go cry me a river emo boy, stop pushing your personal agendas.

User Image ------------------------------- User Image

3,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
I believe that the old gal should've been put to rest like it happend in issue #400 instead of dragging her around living with the Avengers and then being Kicked out after the Civil War thing and Killed yet again by gunshot wound by some hitman, and she yet still lives on????
It helps that she is the only family he has.

3,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Actually that is not quite true as recently he met other Relatives from May's Family when she was going to Marry J.Jonah Jameson's Father not so long ago so if she passes on there's still other "Parkers" around

3,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Actually that is not quite true as recently he met other Relatives from May's Family when she was going to Marry J.Jonah Jameson's Father not so long ago so if she passes on there's still other "Parkers" around
okay previously and since he just met them he doesn't really have any connection to them so there is less impact.

3,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
At the very end of the Marvel Civil War series, she gets shot by a sniper. Beautiful comic it was :')

Castiel Lover's Husbando

Malevolent Friend

25,400 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Gaian 50
User Image
Jump into the sky
in the words of a famous marvel character
"we come back more than jesus"
and pierce the darkness of space.

User Image
OMFG.....aunt may IS THE RED HULK!!!!!!!

3,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Devices
OMFG.....aunt may IS THE RED HULK!!!!!!!

if she is damn she got younger n sexyfied big time blaugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces