Welcome to Gaia! ::

Amateur Detective

35,390 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bookworm 100
*Listening to Enter Sandman by Metallica*

You could say I'm a fan. God, I picked up the first three on a whim, and you'd better believe I was hooked. It's just. . . wow. It's shocking how well Gaiman can switch between writing mediums while remaining entirely epic.

It's so amazing how when you finish you can go back to the beginning and see all the little hints and clues, all the foreshadowing. Gaiman definitely wrote Sandman with the end in mind. I was sad for how it ended, but I was so happy for how brilliantly Gaiman pulled it off.

6,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
BleuxBlancxRouge
Er, yeah, The Sandman is pretty old so it's well known. I have the whole series. I also really like his collab with Alice Cooper, The Last Temptation and his comic Neverhwere but I don't care for his superhero works. Coraline was a cute book and Mirrormask is one of my favorite films.

-Corruption_in_Asphodel-
Syntetisk
Personally, I think he's just an overrated sub-par storyteller akin to what Tim Burton and Johnen Vasquez used to be to goths.

Although I can't agree with the statement about Neil Gaiman or Jhonen Vasquez, I do agree with the Tim Burton statement. His work has kinda, well, sucked as of late. That Alice in Wonderland movie was terrible. Visually appealing? Somewhat. Great story? Not a chance. Don't stick Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter onto everything and expect me to love it...
As far as Gaiman goes, Beowulf the movie blew. It was just... BAD.
And I hated Jhonen Vasquez's "Happy Noodle Boy", but I don't think he made that to be liked.

Heartily agree. I like you.

I agree with you as well. I just completed my Sandman collection. Mirrormask was AMAZING <3 I loved it so much.
I read Coraline in 6th grade. I fell in love with it. I use to draw shitty scenes from the book into my notebooks. I liked the movie, didn't adore it, but liked it mrgreen
My aunt has the Neverwhere show on DVD. How long is the comic run?

Popular Fatcat

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
-Corruption_in_Asphodel-
BleuxBlancxRouge
Er, yeah, The Sandman is pretty old so it's well known. I have the whole series. I also really like his collab with Alice Cooper, The Last Temptation and his comic Neverhwere but I don't care for his superhero works. Coraline was a cute book and Mirrormask is one of my favorite films.

-Corruption_in_Asphodel-
Syntetisk
Personally, I think he's just an overrated sub-par storyteller akin to what Tim Burton and Johnen Vasquez used to be to goths.

Although I can't agree with the statement about Neil Gaiman or Jhonen Vasquez, I do agree with the Tim Burton statement. His work has kinda, well, sucked as of late. That Alice in Wonderland movie was terrible. Visually appealing? Somewhat. Great story? Not a chance. Don't stick Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter onto everything and expect me to love it...
As far as Gaiman goes, Beowulf the movie blew. It was just... BAD.
And I hated Jhonen Vasquez's "Happy Noodle Boy", but I don't think he made that to be liked.

Heartily agree. I like you.

I agree with you as well. I just completed my Sandman collection. Mirrormask was AMAZING <3 I loved it so much.
I read Coraline in 6th grade. I fell in love with it. I use to draw shitty scenes from the book into my notebooks. I liked the movie, didn't adore it, but liked it mrgreen
My aunt has the Neverwhere show on DVD. How long is the comic run?

It's nine issues. I've got the collected graphic novel. 'Tis glorious. heart
Neverwhere is a comic?!?!?! WHY DIDN"T I HEAR ABOUT THIS eek
I loved LOVED loved the show!!!

I just got a Odd and the Frost Giants! I can't wait to read it to my kids biggrin
Don't forget Violent Cases, Signal to Noise, or Coraline.

Ruthless Seeker

7,650 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Gaiman is not overrated! The Sandman is the closest thing to a comic mosaic! It's art!
The only thing of his I liked is Good Omens, and he's tried to distance himself for it as much as possible.

Dapper Fatcat

7,250 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Personally, I love him. I think he's really great at capturing mythology in a fantasy setting and creating really distinctive characters. I enjoy Sandman, but I think his prose works are better, particularly American Gods.

7,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • First step to fame 200
I enjoy Sandman a lot, but 1602 is what I REALLY love.

Gaiman tends to be hit-or-miss for me. I really liked Neverwhere, Good Omens, Sandman, and 1602, but I was really meh on Stardust, American Gods, and Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader.

Considering that Caped Crusader's IDEA was excellent, I just wasn't really fond of the execution. I pretty much freaked when I found out Neil was doing a Batman comic. It just didn't meet my expectations. cry
Poisonivyism

Considering that Caped Crusader's IDEA was excellent, I just wasn't really fond of the execution. I pretty much freaked when I found out Neil was doing a Batman comic. It just didn't meet my expectations. cry
I didn't like it either because that was part of the whole "OMG, Batman is dead" which DC editorial was pushing like crack, but those of us who were actually paying attention knew he wasn't dead, so it was kinda dumb. Morrison gave it the context of that's what went down after Bruce got hit with the Omega Sanction so that made it a little more palatable, but i still didn't enjoy it.

7,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • First step to fame 200
Kyoujin Tsuru
Poisonivyism

I didn't like it either because that was part of the whole "OMG, Batman is dead" which DC editorial was pushing like crack, but those of us who were actually paying attention knew he wasn't dead, so it was kinda dumb. Morrison gave it the context of that's what went down after Bruce got hit with the Omega Sanction so that made it a little more palatable, but i still didn't enjoy it.

I knew he wasn't dead (C'mon, it was totally DC riding the coattails of Cap's death), but I still absolutely loved the idea of it. It just felt weak, like Gaiman wasn't bringing his A Game. I do know people that enjoyed it, but I wasn't one of them. I did like the artwork in that issue, though.
Poisonivyism
Kyoujin Tsuru
Poisonivyism

I knew he wasn't dead (C'mon, it was totally DC riding the coattails of Cap's death), but I still absolutely loved the idea of it. It just felt weak, like Gaiman wasn't bringing his A Game. I do know people that enjoyed it, but I wasn't one of them. I did like the artwork in that issue, though.
The art was well done, and you may be right in some regard about riding Cap's death. As Morrison never planned it and said repeatedly that Batman wasn't dead Didio just kept pushing it to try to be shocking I guess. This was the same reasoning for Gaiman doing this story. Editorial wanted to create some "special" thing like Alan Moore's thing with Superman back in the 80s. It all just felt so contrived.

Dapper Phantom

Haven't read Sandman (on my to do list) but I've read Signal to Noise, which I adore; Good Omens, which always makes me think that him and Terry Pratchett should team up again; and I've seen Mirrormask, which was totally beauteous but perhaps more interesting because of Dave McKean. As for "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader", I wish it'd gone on longer so that there was more room to do things; then again he did this totally fantastic one-shot in Hellraiser, so I don't know how much of an issue length was. Anyways, basically I keep running into him and it's always a bit delightful.
I got to know Gaiman via Good Omens, which is one of my favorite books.
I've read most volumes of The Sandman and I'm currently saving up to buy them all. His works are the only english comics I own, appart from Simon's cat. The rest is dutch or manga.

I'm also going to read Anansi Boys and American Gods once I get the chance, but I'm not sure if I'll read Coraline or Stardust. I'm really curious about Neverwhere though.
Poisonivyism

I was really meh on American Gods.

May I ask why? Since I nearly ordered the book this morning.

Kyoujin Tsuru
The only thing of his I liked is Good Omens, and he's tried to distance himself for it as much as possible.

Really? That's odd. Did he hate the work itself or did he hate working with Pratchett?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff