Welcome to Gaia! ::

A while ago I made this comic

http://imgur.com/a/mTqVb#0

It was supposed to be about these 3 friends and the nature of their relationship with each other. That they can rely on each other and trust each other fully and what not.

One of the replies I got to it thought that this was … something else …
But it got me thinking, what if I did do a comic about that?

I've seen this come up here and there on TV and in manga and in anime
even seen this come up a couple times in web-comics like in 'Misfile' or 'Cheap thrills'
it kinda got me wondering how something like this would be received by a general audience?

So I ended up doing something like this:

http://imgur.com/a/639Rs#12

Im just worried that it might be weird or creepy or offensive or something

Shadowy Phantom

The comic was difficult to follow, and I can't figure out what the story is beyond "girl asks male friend to get her pads/tampons and it's awkward for everybody". Is that what you're worried about, the subject matter?

I don't think the subject creepy or offensive in itself. Some people might be uncomfortable, but I think that the best way to make the topic more socially acceptable (and why shouldn't it be?) is to make more stories like this!

However, I feel like your portrayal is somewhat negative, the male character comes off like he's obligated to do this thing and finds it gross, awkward, and embarrassing. This makes him come off not like a true, close friend, but more like he wants something out of the girl and is nice to her only because he has to be, to achieve some sort of end.
The set-up itself also seems to be played for laughs ("haha periods are awkward"), which is not helping anyone, and reads just like almost every other portrayal of periods in media.

Take what I said with a grain of salt, since I did have trouble following/understanding the story, like I said. I may have everything entirely wrong.

Shadowy Guildsman

7,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I found the comic to be a slice of life.
One day or another, girls get their surprise visit from aunt Flo, and are embarrassed about it.

The comic you drew is simply showing what happened, when it was figured out by a guy friend.

Of course he is gonna laugh it off as periods are awkward. Guys just really don't know what to say or do in situations such as those. Being the good friend he is though, he did go spend his allowance on tampons for her. He didn't have to, but he did to help her out.

There is also the underlying theme that perhaps her mother is abusive and her father is wishy washy and perhaps afraid of the girls mother.

I looked at both comics and liked the second one better.
The first one made me not think of menstral periods, but of a possible love triangle thing. or something.

I think if you work out your ideas a bit more, you should continue with what you got. It's looking good.

Sparkly Hunter

Nah, it's not creepy. Though I'd like to know about the bigger picture you had in mind..? The story of these three (or in the latter two) friends and their relationship?
what do you suppose would make a good cover?

Feline Shapeshifter

4,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Neil_Whitehorn
A while ago I made this comic

http://imgur.com/a/mTqVb#0

It was supposed to be about these 3 friends and the nature of their relationship with each other. That they can rely on each other and trust each other fully and what not.

One of the replies I got to it thought that this was … something else …
But it got me thinking, what if I did do a comic about that?

I've seen this come up here and there on TV and in manga and in anime
even seen this come up a couple times in web-comics like in 'Misfile' or 'Cheap thrills'
it kinda got me wondering how something like this would be received by a general audience?

So I ended up doing something like this:

http://imgur.com/a/639Rs#12

Im just worried that it might be weird or creepy or offensive or something

amaizing!!!

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
I actually kinda liked it, I think there should have been a clue for the raeder as to what happened to the 3rd friend...

and I didn't find it confusing however I think you could use color or heavier lines in some places to differentiate the spaces Px I don't find it creepy at all???

when I read what you posted I was assuming you meant they were in a polyamorous relatinoship

Fluffy Wolf

14,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Team Edward 100
I liked the idea, but I thought it was unlikely that the girl would know exactly what type of product she should use if her mom and dad are so unhelpful about the subject. Periods are such a tricky subject in any circle you hang around in, unless you're a bunch of girls. In that case it's a relief because they don't get grossed out like most guys do, which is frustrating as a girl.

Anyway, if you wanted a more believable first time period, maybe reading up on irl stories from actual people would help. I know for myself I could not relate to the girl's point of view at all. I can see many guys reacting like the boy would though.
daydreamer_girl
I liked the idea, but I thought it was unlikely that the girl would know exactly what type of product she should use if her mom and dad are so unhelpful about the subject. Periods are such a tricky subject in any circle you hang around in, unless you're a bunch of girls. In that case it's a relief because they don't get grossed out like most guys do, which is frustrating as a girl.

Anyway, if you wanted a more believable first time period, maybe reading up on irl stories from actual people would help. I know for myself I could not relate to the girl's point of view at all. I can see many guys reacting like the boy would though.

well the idea was for them to not know and only figure things out through internet research and trial and error

i attempted to do a little bit of research on the subject
(feeling somewhat awkward while at it)
but somehow doesn't feel like it came out quite right

hmmm ... yeah ... I'm not particularly suited for this
probably need a girl to write this story for me -_-;;

Shadowy Phantom

Neil_Whitehorn
hmmm ... yeah ... I'm not particularly suited for this
probably need a girl to write this story for me -_-;;

No, what you need is to ask many girls about their experiences on their first period, and write it yourself (if you're interested in pursuing this idea further). It's research, just not the kind of research that's easy to do through google (but you can get started with google;, lots of people have shared their period experiences online, thanks to the perceived anonymity of the Internet). You shouldn't rely on any one person's account unless you're specifically writing a biography of that person, and you shouldn't shy away from a story just because you don't know enough to write it, because ignorance is not a barrier to learning.

Relentless Bibliophile

12,865 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Waffles! 25
It's not creepy at all, most girls have "embarrassing" stories about their periods, it's just a part of life. It does seem like just a piece of the story though, like a side story. You could definitely expand the before and after rather than trying to cram all these details into this little slice.

Conservative Explorer

I thought it was cute, and Dan is a really sweet guy not to run for the Holy Water and silver bullets. I don't find it unlikely for her not to know it was the "wrong one". Kids talk. Boy, do kids talk... And the more "taboo" or "mature" the topic, the more they talk. She might have heard some girls talking about what they use and she made an estimate on what she needed.

Feral Loiterer

0_o Why would you think this is creepy?

I thought there was gonna be some seriously twisted s**t.

When her stomach started hurting I thought she had been raped because I went in there prepared to be disturbed.

Humbug.
wow, i can't believe im still getting replies to this thread

it's been like a month

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out