Right 0.70833333333333 70.8% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 24 ]
1 2 >

Sparkly Fatcat

9,050 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
My sister and I are writing/drawing a web comic for a project and are debating between a cartoon style (Left) or more realistic(Right).
Which of the two do you guys prefer? emotion_kirakira

User Image

Due to this and that, I had to throw on some stickers emotion_dowant

Sparkly Fatcat

9,050 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I can't decide D:
I normally love the cartoony style more...but then the realistic one is lovely! GAH! I can't rightly decide either. Maybe if you disclosed a teeny bit of the story? I mean, depending on the script, a more serious comic would call for the realistic style, and a comedy would flourish with the cartoon one. (or that's what I'd think anyways)
Honestly I'd just figure out a way to use them both because I can't pick.

And I know that was incredibly unhelpful...

Sparkly Fatcat

9,050 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
kittiko
I normally love the cartoony style more...but then the realistic one is lovely! GAH! I can't rightly decide either. Maybe if you disclosed a teeny bit of the story? I mean, depending on the script, a more serious comic would call for the realistic style, and a comedy would flourish with the cartoon one. (or that's what I'd think anyways)

It did help a lot! Thank you! As for now, the story's really choppy, but I think it'll be more on the fantasy/comedy side!

Shadowy Phantom

I think for something that's more comedic, the cartoonier style would work better. You'd also be able to get away with more exaggerated expressions.

Sparkly Fatcat

9,050 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Does anyone know any programs or app for the ipad for line art and coloring?

Shadowy Phantom

Sketchbook Pro is pretty nice.
However, unless they've perfected capacitance pens for the iPad, I don't recommend doing your comic on it. The precision just isn't there. You can do good work on it, but it's a headache. It's wonderful for sketching and thumbnailing, though!

Sparkly Fatcat

9,050 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Kyousouka
Sketchbook Pro is pretty nice.
However, unless they've perfected capacitance pens for the iPad, I don't recommend doing your comic on it. The precision just isn't there. You can do good work on it, but it's a headache. It's wonderful for sketching and thumbnailing, though!

I'll look into it, thank you~!

Devoted Miko

It really depends on the type of story you're writing.
If it's more of a comedy/adventure, I'd say go with the style on the left.
If it's a serious/dramatic story, go with the style on the right.

Also, I love your choice of stickers. emotion_awesome

Sparkly Fatcat

9,050 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
purplemonkeys227
It really depends on the type of story you're writing.
If it's more of a comedy/adventure, I'd say go with the style on the left.
If it's a serious/dramatic story, go with the style on the right.

Also, I love your choice of stickers. emotion_awesome

Thank you emotion_awesome I like to have my characters stylin' and profilin' emotion_dowant
kittiko

I like right it was best

Fashionable Explorer

I think it's less about what type of story you're writing and more about what kind of a mood you want to create in your work.

For example, both Up! and Maus are stories with plenty of heart-wrenching/serious moments, but they're done in very simplistic, cartoony styles. In both cases, it was entirely on purpose, and they would read like different stories if they were done in a more realistic style (or, in the case of Up!, were live-action movies... forgoing some of the more cartoony elements).

Likewise, comedic, light-hearted stories can be told with more realistic characters and they will be read entirely different from a comedic, light-hearted story done in a super-exaggerated, cartoony style.

So... It's kind of something you need to decide when it comes to your story - which will serve as the best vehicle to deliver your ideas.

(I've given this a lot of thought, hah. Sort of faced a similar problem myself, though I've pretty much decided on what I want to use)

Sparkly Fatcat

9,050 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Piperita
I think it's less about what type of story you're writing and more about what kind of a mood you want to create in your work.

For example, both Up! and Maus are stories with plenty of heart-wrenching/serious moments, but they're done in very simplistic, cartoony styles. In both cases, it was entirely on purpose, and they would read like different stories if they were done in a more realistic style (or, in the case of Up!, were live-action movies... forgoing some of the more cartoony elements).

Likewise, comedic, light-hearted stories can be told with more realistic characters and they will be read entirely different from a comedic, light-hearted story done in a super-exaggerated, cartoony style.

So... It's kind of something you need to decide when it comes to your story - which will serve as the best vehicle to deliver your ideas.

(I've given this a lot of thought, hah. Sort of faced a similar problem myself, though I've pretty much decided on what I want to use)

Thank you! I love everyone's opinion, and I just love you sig D: It's so... cute!

Fashionable Explorer

Undesirable Rooder
Piperita

Thank you! I love everyone's opinion, and I just love you sig D: It's so... cute!

Thank you. biggrin

It was a sketch I did trying to resolve this same style problem.
I like your realistic style

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces