Welcome to Gaia! ::

i was just wondering
what if you wanted to post some sample pages somewhere
just to see what the general response to it would be without actually officially doing some sort of official webcomic

is there a way to do that?

i suppose i could post them here, but are there any other places i could post something like that?

Shadowy Phantom

That depends on what you want out of the whole experience. Do you want critique from fellow comickers? Then post them here, and/or on other comic creator forums.

Do you just want to share with a general audience, but without any commitment to make more? In short, like stand-alone artworks that just happen to be formatted like comic pages? Put them up on dA or whatever site you use to share your other artwork.

Do you want general feedback from people who like comics, but again, without the commitment of making a webcomic? Make something like a short story/experimental collection "webcomic" on a webcomic host like SmackJeeves, and upload your pages by the story (upload multiple pages at a time, rather than one at a time), and state in the "comic's" description that it's just a repository for your experimental pages and will not be updated regularly.
Smack Jeeves - user-friendly and easy to customize layout of your comic, popular place for comics, has a tendency to be yaoi-centered but regular comics can get a fair amount of attention as well
The Duck - popular place for comics, I'm personally not a fan of this site but if you like it then go ahead
Manga Magazine - no customization features, popular place for comics, people are very willing to give reviews/critique

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Uh... just... Photobucket? *shrug*

Not sure why you wouldn't want to just upload to a comic hosting site though.
im just worried about posting something that's so bad i end up getting black listed for it
end up becoming known as the person that does that work which is really bad

Shadowy Phantom

Neil_Whitehorn
im just worried about posting something that's so bad i end up getting black listed for it
end up becoming known as the person that does that work which is really bad

Don't worry about it. It's unlikely you'll build up a significant reputation so easily, even if it's for poor quality. Also, as long as you keep improving, people will notice that, no matter how bad your earlier work was.

The only thing that can permanently mar your art reputation online is not taking critique gracefully. If you're defensive, refuse to improve, or take critique as personal attacks, no one will want to help you, work with you, or look at your work (which likely won't improve with that attitude). If you've got a healthy attitude towards your art, then you shouldn't have to worry about your reputation.
Kyousouka

The only thing that can permanently mar your art reputation online is not taking critique gracefully. If you're defensive, refuse to improve, or take critique as personal attacks, no one will want to help you, work with you, or look at your work.

nah, im more the type of person that'll sit around sulking about how much i suck and then get a reply in a forum that says something like:

"not this again, can't you create one thread without it turning into a pity party?"

with me replying "ha ha, yeah I do seem to have some kind of a problem now don't I" sweatdrop

Fluffy Genius

4,425 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Neil_Whitehorn
Kyousouka

The only thing that can permanently mar your art reputation online is not taking critique gracefully. If you're defensive, refuse to improve, or take critique as personal attacks, no one will want to help you, work with you, or look at your work.

nah, im more the type of person that'll sit around sulking about how much i suck and then get a reply in a forum that says something like:

"not this again, can't you create one thread without it turning into a pity party?"

with me replying "ha ha, yeah I do seem to have some kind of a problem now don't I" sweatdrop

But sucking at something is really good though!
It's a challenge! A chance to become awesome!

Think of it like, you are currently Artist Level 2. The more you practice, the more time you put into your art, the more experience points you get, until you level up. And, gain skills along the way, getting the "Just Finished Perfect Perspective!" Buff, that will enhance your mood for the next three hours.

You'll be Artist Level 30 before you know it biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces