The story 0.86206896551724 86.2% [ 25 ]
The publication (label) 0.03448275862069 3.4% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 29 ]
1 2 >

5,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Trader 100
Just curious on what draws people in. I'm considering a new project, but I'm not entirely certain what I want to do just yet.

Also, when you vote, please tell me your reasoning in a post below. I'd love to hear your opinions!

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Art draws me in, story makes me stay. I can't read any comic that is drawn too incoherently or in a style too disagreeable with my aesthetic preferences, but I can't stick to a comic where the story is bad.

Though good blurbs help too. I don't care how nice it looks if the author summarizes their comic like their goal is to unironically hit every major cliche possible.
Art will be what gets my attention, but story is why I will read it again. You can't have one without the other in a good comic.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Art and story are both important, and an attractive presentation in its publishing helps too.
A good cover will draw me in; a good story will make me stick. See: Planetary.

Familiar Businessman

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Timid 100
The story and art. The story matters, mainly because if there isn't a good storyline it makes it boring. The reason the art slightly matters is that no one wants a comic of stick men or roughly drawn characters.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
The art tells the story through body language, scenery, and 'camera' angles. You don't have to make pretty drawings, but you need to have CLEAR ones.

5,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Trader 100
That Slender Man
The story and art. The story matters, mainly because if there isn't a good storyline it makes it boring. The reason the art slightly matters is that no one wants a comic of stick men or roughly drawn characters.

But what about the case of comics such as Cyanide and Happiness, where the comic is roughly drawn and is more about the text? (I'm not attacking your opinion, but I'd like you to expand please)

Thank you everyone for your opinions! You're being very helpful heart

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Azistanya Lysette
That Slender Man

But what about the case of comics such as Cyanide and Happiness, where the comic is roughly drawn and is more about the text? (I'm not attacking your opinion, but I'd like you to expand please)

Thank you everyone for your opinions! You're being very helpful heart
Different strokes for different folks? I personally don't like C&H, but the simplistic art is all that's needed to convey the humor. Comedy strips don't require labor-intensive artwork, in general. But it all comes down to how you want your comic to be presented. Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes both choose a simplistic, appealing cartoony style that masks some of the mature-themed messages behind the humor.

When it comes to comics with a long-running story, artwork tends to get weighed in more.

Space Detective

19,940 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I think the most important thing that draws me into a comic and keeps me there is the design. I can and often forgive bad art. Hell, I can forgive a bad story for awhile. But if I can't read your comic, or if the way you lay it out is off-putting, I'll move on without a second thought. Story comes in a really close second.
I will read, bookmark and stick with a well-written comic with sub-par art.

A pretty comic with no plot will hold my attention for a handful of pages, after which I will wander off and never return.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Good quality art and good quality story. If either is lacking, I won't read it.

Aged Codger

The art initially, and then the story. There was a comic I was reading that had a good story, but the art had really ugly inks so I couldn't stand to keep reading it. Also I tend to check out a comic if I'm already familiar with the artist.
Personally,for me,it's the art the attracts me the most. I can usually get through a bad story as long as the art is good,although if the story is absolutely horrible I wont even bother. However,I do not commit to actually buying a comic for my collection unless the story is good as well. 3nodding
I'm pretty much with Ironspike, "sub-par" art can keep me depending on where exactly the art is lacking. Art that is all over the place where no where to focus is a no go because I have attention issues. It's why I can't read the majority of black and white comics that have heavy inks when done incompetently. Swivel waist ruins immersion. Also, I tend not to stick around if anatomy is bad past a certain point or if it's a talking heads issue.

As for writing, I cannot stand when a comic is subject to info dumping. I will drop it. I will drop it so fast the earth will shake. I also do not read long "in the beginning of the world blah blah blah" sort of intros either. You'd have to be ******** amazing as a writer to pull that s**t, and even then, I want my comics to function as comics, I don't want prose cluttering up half the page. You can express complex thoughts in few words.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff