Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I noticed that some speed lines from panels to panels vary in thickness. and it is a perspective thing. how do I do that?

thanks a million.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
I'd also like to know this.

I've just been using the line tool and various graphs and guidelines to sort of keep them even. Unfortunately I can't alter the thickness of the lines, unless I do two lines in a triangular... thing... and then fill in the space between them... and argh, it's so time-consuming.

I totally cheated with my cleanup on a page that looked absolutely awful, though. I had an array of white lines, layered over a darker surface, making the dark surface look like the speed lines focusing on the center location. Which was better than whatever bizarre star pattern I was doing that wasn't even speed lines. emotion_awesome

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
What medium are you looking for? I only know how to do it with Photoshop.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Kaxen

H-how do you do it with Photoshop? Would it work with Elements? Because I saw a tutorial and was confused because I'm pretty sure it was CS# and mine is like...

It's like how you got the luxury cars, tricked out with all the spiffy s**t, and then you've got the bare minimum model with no GPS, no autopark, no camera rear-view, no fingerprint recognition, not even four-wheel drive, and I'll honestly be lucky to have cup holders, because I should just consider myself lucky I get to have the damn thing.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Xiam
Kaxen

H-how do you do it with Photoshop? Would it work with Elements? Because I saw a tutorial and was confused because I'm pretty sure it was CS# and mine is like...

It's like how you got the luxury cars, tricked out with all the spiffy s**t, and then you've got the bare minimum model with no GPS, no autopark, no camera rear-view, no fingerprint recognition, not even four-wheel drive, and I'll honestly be lucky to have cup holders, because I should just consider myself lucky I get to have the damn thing.

As I haven't used Elements in a long time, I wouldn't really be able to say.

Well anyhow...

Get the basic circle brush. turn off all the settings except the one for messing with the opacity and make it random.

User Image

Make a horizontal straight line of dots with the brush on a new layer. Free transform the layer taller.

User Image

Should have something like this after finalizing the transformation.

User Image

Futz with line with various Distortion Filters (polar coordinates, sheer, wave, etc) or the Perspective Transform to make speedlines of speediness. If wanting less gray, merge the layer on something White and use Image > Adjustments > Threshold.

Example with polar coordinates (kind of rough around the edges, but eh.)
User Image

Alternatively, you download speedline brushes for photoshop and then distort those. I can't remember where the hell I downloaded my speedline brushes...

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Kaxen
Xiam
Kaxen

As I haven't used Elements in a long time, I wouldn't really be able to say.

Well anyhow...

Get the basic circle brush. turn off all the settings except the one for messing with the opacity and make it random.

User Image

Make a horizontal straight line of dots with the brush on a new layer. Free transform the layer taller.

User Image

Should have something like this after finalizing the transformation.

User Image

Futz with line with various Distortion Filters (polar coordinates, sheer, wave, etc) or the Perspective Transform to make speedlines of speediness. If wanting less gray, merge the layer on something White and use Image > Adjustments > Threshold.

Example with polar coordinates (kind of rough around the edges, but eh.)
User Image

Alternatively, you download speedline brushes for photoshop and then distort those. I can't remember where the hell I downloaded my speedline brushes...

I seem to have found some sort of list of options, but they're pretty minimal and look nothing like that... but you lost me at "straight line."

Do you mean the straight line tool? Because I'm pretty shitty even with that...

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Xiam
I seem to have found some sort of list of options, but they're pretty minimal and look nothing like that... but you lost me at "straight line."

Do you mean the straight line tool? Because I'm pretty shitty even with that...

Straight line using the brush tool. Hold shift down while you draw the line and it'll be perfectly straight.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Kaxen
Hold shift down while you draw the line and it'll be perfectly straight.

Wh--

WHAT? All this time, I...

Holy s**t, I can probably do it with this alone. :O All I need to do is know where the hell I should be placing the lines. I always draw them too... well-patterned.

Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
overall I think hand-drawn is a lot better. using photoshop to draw speedlines is a bit...artificial.

Shadowy Phantom

QueenTroll38
overall I think hand-drawn is a lot better. using photoshop to draw speedlines is a bit...artificial.

Speed lines drawn in PS can look as natural as ones done in ink on paper. The key is not being lazy and drawing the lines yourself, instead of using the filter technique above. The technique above does have its uses though, and looks particularly good in very clean, technical art styles, though.

When drawing the lines yourself, it's important to vary the weight and spacing of the lines. This makes them look like speed lines rather than a static pattern.
I only use a ruler (traditional) and the shift+click (Photoshop) for very long speed lines, for shorter ones, I draw them freehand, since it's faster and gives more natural-looking results. It takes quite a bit of practice to learn to do straight lines and uniformly curved freehand, but it's worth it, especially if you do comics that require a lot of speed lines.

Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Kyousouka
QueenTroll38

Speed lines drawn in PS can look as natural as ones done in ink on paper. The key is not being lazy and drawing the lines yourself, instead of using the filter technique above. The technique above does have its uses though, and looks particularly good in very clean, technical art styles, though.

When drawing the lines yourself, it's important to vary the weight and spacing of the lines. This makes them look like speed lines rather than a static pattern.
I only use a ruler (traditional) and the shift+click (Photoshop) for very long speed lines, for shorter ones, I draw them freehand, since it's faster and gives more natural-looking results. It takes quite a bit of practice to learn to do straight lines and uniformly curved freehand, but it's worth it, especially if you do comics that require a lot of speed lines.

cool tips.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces