Welcome to Gaia! ::

Well heres the story, sometime I would like create a manga of my own probably almost like everyone else in this forum. I am currently in the character design stage so I'm not going to explian the plot right now because this could change a great deal, but now that I'm starting to ramble off like I always do I'll cut to the chase.

What do you look for in a manga?

I'm talking about if you look at the art work, story line, characters ect. Also what ticks you off. (I'm not talking about gernes, but an overall manga)

This would be a great help to me! Thank-you! biggrin
For me, art happens to be a bigger factor than I would like it to be =.=;

If I don't like the art, no matter how epic the story happens to be, I would stop reading it after the first two issues.

But you can't satisfy everyone when it comes to art styles, so sometimes preferances are out of your control.

Then there's the story and characters.

I read scans of DNAngel and thought the characters driving the story were too weakly characterized, so I decided to buy a book just to look at the art.

That's basically how I pick and choose comics, but everyone has their own opinions and areas they look at.
As long as the story is good and the characters are interesting I'll read most anything. For artwork I'm partial to sort of shoujo styles or more realistic art.

I will generally avoid manga that have random japanese words scattered through out for no reason, especially if I can tell the japanese grammar or word order is wrong. I'll also usually stay away if there are a lot of glaring grammatical and/or spelling errors in the dialogue.
The first think I look for is a cool title and what the story is (via the blurb on the back) Then I look at the art. There are just some art styles I don't really like. Then I read the first few pages getting a feel for the pacing and storytelling.

What ticks me off about some manga are uber-hentaiish ones. Love hina and chobits for example. I wouldn't mind them if there wasn't so much sex/ refrences to sex.
Neither Love Hina or Chobits are hentai. The proper term would probably be ecchi -- there's a lot of sexual innuendo and humor, fan service, and the like, but no on-page sex (well, I've not read all of LH, but I can say that much for Chobits). I'm more forgiving on ecchi content if I like the other elements of the series, though something that's pervy for perversity's sake will get tossed.
There's no on page sex in Love Hina, no uncencored nudity either actually. I actually like both Love Hina and Chobits a great deal. So some ecchi content is no big deal for me, provided I like the rest of the story.
Overall: something interasting.

Good art is a very big plus. I'll put up with sub-par art provided the story is really worth it. (Provided it's not so bad that I can't tell what's going on.) But I'm much mroe likley to keep reading something if the art is good.

If I find random Japaneese words thrown in, japaneese names for no reason, etc, etc, I usualy stop reading right there.

Unique characters. we've all see way too much of the dark mysterious guy; the whiney little girl; the generic abusive parents; and, of course, teh Mary-Sue. Avoid them. Make characters interasting.

I'll admit that it's pertty damned near impossible to come up with a story that hasn't been done in some way or another. The trick is giveing an old idea new twists.

Personaly, I'm a big fan of science fiction and modern fantasy type stuff, but I'll read just about anything if it catches my attention and I like teh story.
hmm, well the art is the most obvious thing and the first thing i notice. If it looks like the artist did not spend enough time to make it as convenient and pretty as possible for the reader, I will not bother trying to read it. However, a good plot line does make up for a drawing style I'm not exceptionally fond of. The characters should have depth and the plot line should be well formed and unique. I like to see the individuality of the artist shine through thw work
My number one thing that grabs me and holds me: A unique style of art.

I can't stand cookie cutter art, ultra generic, big eyed shojo work. Everyone can and should put their own twist on a common style.

After I've picked up something that catches my eye, I like a good storyline that keeps me interested. If you spell out that it's an epic quest for a powerful sword to fight evil, in the first volume. Yawn. I like things that change and surprise me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff