Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Noob

Rabbit Alchemy
GomBear
User Image I've always wanted to participate on making a comic but never really started one.
my skills are not so well but here are my drawings
New DA
Old DA
User Image (...)

Ah! Are you kidding me XD your art is adorable! I love your style. heart if you're up for it I think we could make a fun web comic together! emotion_yatta

User Image I would be glad to work together on one ////
GomBear

User Image I would be glad to work together on one ////

*dances* great! Feel free to PM me whenever and we can brainstorm. 4laugh

I love your llama emoties, are they from Kakao Talk or? They look familiar xP
I want in!

heres my art blog and DA

I want to practice making bg and anatomy and I think a webcomic would help! I don't have a lot of writing experience though, but I have a bunch of ideas.
Sentaidash
I want in!

heres my art blog and DA

I want to practice making bg and anatomy and I think a webcomic would help! I don't have a lot of writing experience though, but I have a bunch of ideas.

omigosh I lurrrve your art! That's pretty much exactly why I want to do a webcomic as well as connect with other like-minded artists by building a fun little network of doodlers and to provide a creative outlet not just for myself but other artists as well. Working with others really motivates me to keep learning and trying new things.

My ultimate goal is to recruit 1+ artists to contribute to the webcomic. It will be a fun light-hearted comic, nothing too heavy of course. Something easy anyone can just jump into at any stage of the comic. It could potentially have possible elements of fantasy, paranormal, scifi, etc. I won't know for sure though until I've officially set the tone by publishing the first few pages which I want to do once i've signed on at least 1 other artist. A little brainstorming with whoever is interested will hopefully help decide the tone of it all.

It will essentially be an improv comic where anyone interested is free to contribute as little or as much as they want so there isn't any overwhelming obligation to participating. I want it to be something fun not a chore. And I want it to help everyone involved to better hone their abilities be it with backgrounds, complex poses, anatomy, character development, writing, sequential art, etc.
Rabbit Alchemy
Sentaidash
I want in!

heres my art blog and DA

omigosh I lurrrve your art! That's pretty much exactly why I want to do a webcomic as well as connect with other like-minded artists by building a fun little network of doodlers and to provide a creative outlet not just for myself but other artists as well. Working with others really motivates me to keep learning and trying new things.

My ultimate goal is to recruit 1+ artists to contribute to the webcomic. It will be a fun light-hearted comic, nothing too heavy of course. Something easy anyone can just jump into at any stage of the comic. It could potentially have possible elements of fantasy, paranormal, scifi, etc. I won't know for sure though until I've officially set the tone by publishing the first few pages which I want to do once i've signed on at least 1 other artist. A little brainstorming with whoever is interested will hopefully help decide the tone of it all.

It will essentially be an improv comic where anyone interested is free to contribute as little or as much as they want so there isn't any overwhelming obligation to participating. I want it to be something fun not a chore. And I want it to help everyone involved to better hone their abilities be it with backgrounds, complex poses, anatomy, character development, writing, sequential art, etc.

That sounds perf! I've been looking for a group of people who would want to be in a comic circle, which is basically everything you just wrote.
Sentaidash

That sounds perf! I've been looking for a group of people who would want to be in a comic circle, which is basically everything you just wrote.

Yeah! Exactly, that's the phrase I was looking for.

Now it's really just a matter of figuring out what genres interest the initial artists the most so better to set the mood to something everyone could really get into :p

I also want to, as an attempt to financially help out all artists involved, place Project Wonderful ads on the site once it's launched to provide monetary incentive XD because as much as we love to draw, i'm sure we love to eat more ;A; and a community that's there to not only help each other network and grow our skills but to provide financial support as well is something the art community really needs more of.

I'm still writing up the "rules" of how it'll all work out but it's all fairly simple. Basically, for example, let's say any given artist contributes 1 page a week. For the entire week (or days) that their page remains the latest page they will receive 80% ad revenue (remaining 20% will be reinvested in promotion, merch, hosting, maintenance, etc.) It may just be extra change for some at first but it's something!

I figured I'd mention that because I saw your RLC site and thought it would add extra intrigue :p

But yeah I'm working hard on putting all this together. I know it's one thing to talk about it, and another thing to actually do it. But I really think this will be a fun and refreshing approach to it all emotion_kirakira

I'm also working on providing materials for the artists to work off, like panel templates. They can do anywhere from 1-6 panels a page. Totally their choice. All pages will come out to the same resolution anyway.
Rabbit Alchemy

How many artist are interested in doing this?

Yes it is important to find a genre that all artist will enjoy doing if it's a long series, unless of course the comics are a collection of short stories. Like for every month it would be a different genre just so we get the feel for other genres.

Financial help would be amazing. With regards to the short stories, they can be printed into issues that could be sold (if this becomes successful) as another source of revenue and as well as getting the artist art out there.
Sentaidash

How many artist are interested in doing this?

Yes it is important to find a genre that all artist will enjoy doing if it's a long series, unless of course the comics are a collection of short stories. Like for every month it would be a different genre just so we get the feel for other genres.

Financial help would be amazing. With regards to the short stories, they can be printed into issues that could be sold (if this becomes successful) as another source of revenue and as well as getting the artist art out there.

Including you I've had 5 so far show interest, though 3 of them seem to have lost interest or don't seem quite ready to really commit to anything just yet which is understandable.

I haven't quite settled on the exact formula to follow. I want it to be fluid and consistent in whatever we do settle on but until we do that I'm not really sure how it will be approached. It really depends on the artists, I'm keeping this vague for now so there's room to negotiate and come up with something that's agreeable for everyone involved.

I do know that for it to be successful and gain loyal readership the overall story/world should stay consistent as opposed to a bunch of stand alone short stories. I'm thinking it would be best to create a shared world, with vague and flexible mythologies that any artist can inject their own OC into or continue telling the story with previously established characters or even a conjunction of the two which would probably be best. Ultimately it's up to the artist, save for the few "ground rules" I will establish to help eliminate disconnected storylines/pacing.

For example a world like "The Land of Ooo" from Adventure Time where tons of fans/artists have been inspired to create their own OCs and continue telling their own stories by adopting the universe to foster their own ideas. Except the world we create will be specifically unique to this comic circle and not one borrowed from another fandom.

Eventually if this project proves successful and I'm sure eventually it will once we get the ball rolling I do hope to branch out with the merch. I'm a hobby screen printer (so making custom printed Tee's would be a breeze) and I have experience working with manufacturers who produce plush/vinyl figures. So that can also create a really fun alternative source of revenue for the participating artists. Similar to that of Threadless/Patch Together. I'm also currently studying computer animation so my ability to make 3D models of all the characters will prove useful and translate very well to action figures.

The main reason I'm mentioning this so heavily is because I've seen far too many (and in my naive years joined many that ultimately failed) hopeful projects similar to this that don't take into consideration the amount of hard work and time that goes into donating one's time and skills to things this. Which is why 99% of them attract artists that opt to flake out, lose interest, or get snuffed out before the original idea gets off the ground.

Who knows maybe this could blossom into an open team of new media artists and we could have a booth at cons XD

Enough day dreaming though, I don't want to get ahead of myself. I'm just trying to illustrate how this project could become something more than it is now. Which is just an idea. But also, to show how dedicated I am to this, and that it's not just a fluttering thought. I know how frustrating it is to get excited over propositions like this one only to be disappointed when the original creator poops out before even attempting to follow through.

So what genres are you interested in? Are there any webcomics that inspire you?

Sorry for the TL;DR btw, I tend to ramble =X
Rabbit Alchemy

lol it's okay (I tend to talk too little hehehe)

I see your point on the genre issue. In that case these are the three main genres I'd like to draw.
- slice of life, comedy, gag time of comics not really romance unless there's a twist.
- supernatural, mystery the setting could be in modern time or it could have a more historical feel to it.
- fantasy, adventure. Kind of like the rpg stuff or even in a far away land type setting.

I read a lot more different genres but I could see myself drawing something like along the lines of that. The webcomics that are my favorites right now are strays, the fox sister, hell's kitchechen,and some BL webcomics. I read a lot of manga too so yeah.

Wow that's really cool! Hopefully this project does become successful I really want custom shirts >w<

I see. It would be nice to get a least 3-5 people in a group. I think if there was more than 5 it would be really hard to organize.
Sentaidash
bananas.

That's cool! We can probably work with that emotion_dowant maybe we can do something like a small fictional town where weird supernatural/paranormal things happen. Similar to Nightvale, Gravity Falls, Sunnydale, Haven, etc. and then pretty much inject our own OC(s) into the town and let things play out like that. Just brainstorming though XD

Once we've settled on a general concept I can launch the site and start putting everything together. The rules, the templates, other materials etc. I'll be working on all that this weekend. But I don't know what to actually call it yet =X knowing the general premise of the comic will help loads on determining that though. 4laugh
Rabbit Alchemy

I freaking love Gravity Falls (I can't wait till the second season comes out.) I heard of Nightvale but i haven't gotten around to it yet. But anything along those lines would be perfect!
Sentaidash

I freaking love Gravity Falls (I can't wait till the second season comes out.) I heard of Nightvale but i haven't gotten around to it yet. But anything along those lines would be perfect!

Yay! emotion_brofist a Gravity Falls fan! Yeah that show is pretty brilliant. emotion_yatta

Well that settles it then! I'll probably start working on putting some things together tomorrow to officially get this party started. emotion_dealwithit I already have some possible character ideas for my OC bubbling in my brain.

Is there anything specific that you can think of that maybe we should cover before we get started? I'm pretty sure I've come up with most of what we need to do, but I just wanna make sure I don't miss anything XD
Rabbit Alchemy
Sentaidash

Yay! emotion_brofist a Gravity Falls fan! Yeah that show is pretty brilliant. emotion_yatta

Well that settles it then! I'll probably start working on putting some things together tomorrow to officially get this party started. emotion_dealwithit I already have some possible character ideas for my OC bubbling in my brain.

Is there anything specific that you can think of that maybe we should cover before we get started? I'm pretty sure I've come up with most of what we need to do, but I just wanna make sure I don't miss anything XD

That show is godly! So much secrets.

okay, ah I guess just a general plot of what it's going to be about.
Sentaidash

That show is godly! So much secrets.

okay, ah I guess just a general plot of what it's going to be about.

Right now I'm working on fleshing out the general setting. Like what the town will look like, etc. As well as what to dub it XD I want it to be something cool like Gravity Falls.

Aside from that I've been fiddling around with some sketchy storyboards for possibly the first 6 pages to help establish the town itself and act as an introduction. If you have any suggestions or ideas we can always brainstorm through PMs otherwise I'll just wing it. I'm keeping everything pretty vague in the beginning so there's a lot more room for the other contributing artists to add their own brand of creativity to the story's universe.

Once I've established the name of the comic I'll probably launch a Tumblr for it or something, so we have some place more official than the Gaia subforums :p

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff