Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Gekko

So I am COMPLETELY unfamiliar with making comics. But when I see some like these, I get so many ideas, but if I make my own frame, I know it will become poorly aligned, and I'd have a perfectionist attack. lol
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Does anyone have any tips or advice to pass onto this soon to be rookie comic writer..?
Thank you in advance~!

Shadowy Phantom

What sort of tone and look are you going for? One-off comedic strips work a bit differently from narrative-based comics, and this affects their panel layouts.

In this strip, the uniform panels work because no one panel is more important than another, but in some cases, you might need to vary panel sizes and shapes to get the effect you need. If that worries you, I recommend reading up on the theory behind it.

Also, perfectionism anxiety is something you should work on. It can and likely will hinder you in producing good comics in a timely manner. Gut feelings are important in making comics (and any kind of art). There's no formula, so there's no perfection.

Magnetic Gekko

Kyousouka
What sort of tone and look are you going for? One-off comedic strips work a bit differently from narrative-based comics, and this affects their panel layouts.

In this strip, the uniform panels work because no one panel is more important than another, but in some cases, you might need to vary panel sizes and shapes to get the effect you need. If that worries you, I recommend reading up on the theory behind it.

Also, perfectionism anxiety is something you should work on. It can and likely will hinder you in producing good comics in a timely manner. Gut feelings are important in making comics (and any kind of art). There's no formula, so there's no perfection.

Thanks for your advice. I really do gotta work on it. And I'm not all that sure what you meant about tone. Is there any websites that you know of that I can read more about comic making?

Shadowy Phantom

By tone I mean how dark/light, serious/comedic, etc your story is.

I highly recommend you pick up Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud (your local library might have it!). It's a good place to start, and it'll help you "speak the same language" as other comickers. By that, I mean you'll have a better idea of what you actually want to do.

I'm loath to give you links to specific articles/tutorials because I'm afraid of giving you expectations/ideas that don't actually work with what you intend to do. In particular, you seem to be going for comic strips, but everything I have is for narrative srs bsns stuff.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff