• Friendly 100
General Jerk Behaviour

Please ignore this.

Fashionable Ladykiller

11,550 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
Number 1 question... How will you be compensating the artist? Working for free on someone else's brainchild does not a steady commitment make.

It also brings up: If there is no compensation, how long you are willing to wait for free work and how 'disrespected' will you feel when an artist puts your project behind their own?

Blessed Prophet

5,750 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Abel_Wilson
take it as a clear warning that if I sense disrespect or an attitude of not taking this work seriously, I will terminate any agreements with you.

Relax and don't be a tight-butt over things. =

LMAO These two lines are so contradictory.

Fashionable Ladykiller

11,550 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
Abel_Wilson
Catanaition N. D.
Number 1 question... How will you be compensating the artist? Working for free on someone else's brainchild does not a steady commitment make.

It also brings up: If there is no compensation, how long you are willing to wait for free work and how 'disrespected' will you feel when an artist puts your project behind their own?

I guess I should have been clearer in my original post. I'm sorry, this is my first time here so I figured it was naturally assumed that I wasn't talking about free work.

I mean to make money out of this, so I'm making this a collaboration with an artist.
We'll probably draw up a contract splitting sales and what not?
I'm looking for a partner, not an employee. Haha

Future money is not the same as providing compensation. You have no idea if this collaboration will or won't sell so until you put money in the artists hands they are working for free and you need to understand that.

Money in the future doesn't put money on the table now is what I'm trying to say.

Fashionable Explorer

Word of advice... If you want an artist who is passionate and committed to your idea, working with no promise of compensation, you're going to have to go out of your way to make them interested. It's entirely possible to start a project that's initially just a labour of love and then eventually turn it into a way to make profit for all parties involved. But I have NEVER seen a single one of these collaborations with no compensation occur between two individuals who weren't close friends working together on a story they, at least in some way, co-authored.

Here's the sticky bit: I think the VAST majority of artists have their own ideas swirling around in their head. What you essentially need to do is convince them that your idea is more worthy of their time than their own brainchild. Yes, this is going to be just as hard as it sounds. It's not impossible, but... I don't think you're going to get a lot of people interested the way you want them to be interested if you phrase it like a job proposal with no compensation. If all you can offer them is the satisfaction of working on your idea, then you need to make sure that it's all that they would ever want.

I have, in the past, succeeded in getting other artists interested in my story ideas. It took many months of talking to them about my characters and my ideas, getting them drawn into the world and attached to the characters (We were friends enrolled in the same courses... I wasn't necessarily trying to get them to care, I just did what I normally do when I make friends - yap away). I never got to the point of collaborations though, because I'm a massive control freak and I prefer to work solo. It probably would've taken longer than those few months to actually get them interested enough in a permanent collab - and it would've taken significant concessions on my part because whether I liked it or not, they had their own ideas on the paths the stories/characters took, and I didn't always like them. That's something else you have to consider.

Dapper Bloodsucker

3,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Abel_Wilson

xD The funny thing about this was that I actually got PMs trying to nit pick on my conditions than actually ask about the story or why they should consider this project.

Sorry, I'm saying this to try and help, but why should they ask about your story or want to consider it? Your conditions were self entitled. What incentive did they have to want to help you? You might want to try and "sell" your story better. I mean, why should you be the one to see their art, if it's "annoying" for a potential artist to expect and see your script, to see if it's something up to their standards. You're the one who has the most to gain, but are expecting to have your would be artist do even more.

Also, that's not really a social experiment.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff