Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Prophet

8,175 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I have this idea for a Steampunk based manga series. But I'm not that good at story telling, so I was wondering if I could get some ideas for a plot just to get my creative juices flowing. This is what I have so far in terms of synopsis:

The main character comes from an aristocratic family who just ran out of money and has a hard time adjusting to the new industrial age. So he resorts to stealing and pick-pocketing because he's basically a disenfranchised youth. He doesn't fit in with the rest of his eccentric family, who are having trouble finding work and when they do find work, they're always odd jobs that most people don't want (and they never last very long).

I really don't know where to go from there. I want the story to have a moral because I believe every good story should have one. Any ideas?

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
I can not give you more direct examples due to the forums rules,but I can help you figure things out yourself.

There are two things I'd recommend you to spend thinking about.

1) What is my message for my readers to get, what are thoughts and feelings I want to provoke in them?
For example, steam punk is usually basing itself off first industrial revolution and Victorian Era. And people were frightened of mechanization, there is also huge inventor spirit and enthusiasm which you can explore by maybe reading up some biographies of prominent and some less prominent scientists back then. Dig into history to find themes and morals. It does not have to be super complicated and deep.

2 ) How do you want it to end. This is very important to have in mind and it will help you direct your story once you get stuck.

Also, I have bookmarked this tumblr post about steam punk few days ago, where you can find some things that might inspire you.

Liberal Prophet

8,175 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
The Zorya
I can not give you more direct examples due to the forums rules,but I can help you figure things out yourself.

There are two things I'd recommend you to spend thinking about.

1) What is my message for my readers to get, what are thoughts and feelings I want to provoke in them?
For example, steam punk is usually basing itself off first industrial revolution and Victorian Era. And people were frightened of mechanization, there is also huge inventor spirit and enthusiasm which you can explore by maybe reading up some biographies of prominent and some less prominent scientists back then. Dig into history to find themes and morals. It does not have to be super complicated and deep.

2 ) How do you want it to end. This is very important to have in mind and it will help you direct your story once you get stuck.

Also, I have bookmarked this tumblr post about steam punk few days ago, where you can find some things that might inspire you.

Thanx!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces