Total Votes:[ 11 ]
This poll closed on April 10, 2013.
No longer accepting new votes.

Blessed Vampire

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Edward 100
Here is the situation! Authors surely know the problem - your head is full of ideas but your time is limited and you have to choose the project you want to work on. After studying at university and working for all kinds of companies I finally admitted to myself that office work is not for me and I want to get back to my career as artist. In the past I published several comic books and during my university time did some IRL commissions on the side (which meant juggling 2 to 3 jobs from time to time), so I was not completely out of the business. Right now I am considering concentrating on my career as an illustrator but doing comics is like a drug I can´t kick (though my problem with drugs concerns only caffein mrgreen ) and would like to do a webcomic "on the side". I think of it as a great stress relief and a good way to promote my other stuff.

So the question is what story to do... While working for publishers I developed several project ideas that are dear to me, for which I have character designs, plots and even comic pages all ready (ranging from 10 to 30 pages). But I have real real REAL trouble deciding which to do as each one has its merits and each one differs from the others a lot. Perhaps you could help me decide?

As a reader, which of the following stories you would like to read?

Story 1:

A comedy in which a Japanese guy comes to Europe as an exchange student and ends up in a household of manga and anime fanatics. The story deals with his everyday live and his relationships with the family daughters - while one is a socially awkward, the other one is batsh*t crazy. (By the way, here a page for the project that I did 3 years ago... I will have to re-do all the pages as am not content with it anymore and my style changed with time... And yeah, the text is in German...)

Story 2:

A historic yaoi based in imperial Russia of the late part of the 19th century dealing with the forbidden relationship between the brother of Cathrine Dolgorukov (long-time mistress of the Tsar and his morganatic wife) and his servant (who gets involuntarily involved in one of assassination attempts on the Tsar).

Story 3:

This one is a bit hard to describe. It is a sequel to a project I did for one of my publishers where an angel of death falls in love with a human boy (and tries to save him) and where the boy sacrifices his own life in order to save the angel. The sequel deals with his afterlife where (due to the strange factors of his death) he is reborn with the force of either save or destroy the universe.
(By the way, here is the cover. In case you are wondering, I have the permission of my publisher to do a sequel as a webcomic, so no legal problems here.)
__________________________________________________________________________________

As you see, the stories differ quite a lot from one another. And while every one of them has its difficulties (for example the third story has to be told in a way that those who did not read the original comic know what happened while those who did read are not bored to death) all of research that goes into the stories is already done. For the first story I could use the knowledge I acquired in my Japanese studies while the second story is easy for me to do due to me being half Russian and speaking the language freely.

PS: Sorry for my weird English. It is neither my first language nor second but third and I sometimes tend to mix it up with other two.

Shy Smoker

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star....

Story 1 could do well if you don't make it to the extreme of weeaboos.
Story 2 kinda seems intersting?
Story 3 seems Gary Stu 2: Respawn with godlike powers

...Why Must You Be So Far?

Shadowy Phantom

Basically what Moogle said.

Story 1 sounds like it could be really enjoyable as long as you play with the stereotypes instead of taking them seriously, and as long as the characters are fleshed out as people rather than caricatures.

Story 2 sounds interesting as well, but the romance bit seems extraneous. It sounds like the story could stand well enough without it. If you go with this story and keep the romance, I hope it'll really matter, meaning that the relationship causes some of the major conflicts, and that it's affected significantly by your setting and the conflicts.
I recommend saving #2 for later, when you're a better writer.

#3 is the reason I think you should set #2 aside until you've become a stronger writer :/

I think you should do #1 for now, since it's fun, fairly straight forward, and it should offer you ample learning opportunities as far as writing and research go.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
Are you German? I could see #1 being interesting if it's set where you live, because I honestly can't think of any other story I read set there about weeaboos.

Otherwise, I think #3 sounds most interesting.

Blessed Vampire

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Edward 100
Tenko72
Are you German? I could see #1 being interesting if it's set where you live, because I honestly can't think of any other story I read set there about weeaboos.

Well, I am German AND Russian. wink The first story would take place in Germany as I am most familiar with the weeaboo-culture there.

@Moogle: Thanks for the feedback! smile

@Kyousouka: Judging from the feedback it seems that I have to go with the first story. wink By the way, is my English writing that bad? O_O; I can´t judge it myself as I don´t have anybody to compare to in my daily life.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
JD-Ayane
Tenko72

Well, I am German AND Russian. wink The first story would take place in Germany as I am most familiar with the weeaboo-culture there.

@Moogle: Thanks for the feedback! smile

@Kyousouka: Judging from the feedback it seems that I have to go with the first story. wink By the way, is my English writing that bad? O_O; I can´t judge it myself as I don´t have anybody to compare to in my daily life.
Thanks for answering.

I can't actually tell how good or bad your writing is, since on the forums, even people who have English as their first language write badly. If you're worried about it, then you can get people to proofread it for you. There're a lot of people available to do it here or in the Writer's Forum if you have a script, instead of a finished comic.

I look forward to reading it.

Shadowy Phantom

JD-Ayane

I wasn't talking about your English (which seems fine to me, by the way).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff