Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been thinking of doing a comic strip series, and I'm not quite sure how big to make the strips. I want it to be a 3 panel structure.
Can someone give me suggestions(I use Photoshop)?

Shadowy Phantom

The important things to consider:

- Fitting on the screen. Minimise scrolling if you can't avoid it entirely. Horizontal scrolling is a big no-no. Remember that your comic's website layout also contributes to scrolling.

- Comfortable reading. The human eye reads best in narrow columns because it requires the eye to move less. For standard comic pages, it's best to stick to 6-8" wide on a typical screen, you can get away with something wider for a horizontal strip comic, but don't go too much wider.

- Readability. Your text and art need to be clear and easy to read. Keep your final display size (and print size, if that's a concern) in mind when doing your art and lettering. Text in particular needs to be large enough to read, but if it's too large, it's uncomfortable to look at. The optimal size depends highly on your font choice and line spacing as well as several other factors, there's no magic number.

It's important to know your final size, but you should work much larger than that. That will make it possible to print the strips later, to use the art for other purposes, and it'll make it easier to hide mistakes like wobbly inking. It'll also let you draw as detailed or as loose as you want without forcing you to work at the pixel level.
Kyousouka
The important things to consider:

- Fitting on the screen. Minimise scrolling if you can't avoid it entirely. Horizontal scrolling is a big no-no. Remember that your comic's website layout also contributes to scrolling.

- Comfortable reading. The human eye reads best in narrow columns because it requires the eye to move less. For standard comic pages, it's best to stick to 6-8" wide on a typical screen, you can get away with something wider for a horizontal strip comic, but don't go too much wider.

- Readability. Your text and art need to be clear and easy to read. Keep your final display size (and print size, if that's a concern) in mind when doing your art and lettering. Text in particular needs to be large enough to read, but if it's too large, it's uncomfortable to look at. The optimal size depends highly on your font choice and line spacing as well as several other factors, there's no magic number.

It's important to know your final size, but you should work much larger than that. That will make it possible to print the strips later, to use the art for other purposes, and it'll make it easier to hide mistakes like wobbly inking. It'll also let you draw as detailed or as loose as you want without forcing you to work at the pixel level.

Oh wow, thanks biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces