Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Personally, I revere Ken Akamatsu's works over any manga I've ever read up until now. ^^ For those not familiar with his name, his works are (In order of publishing):

1) A.I. Love You (Ai Ga Tomaranai)
2) Love Hina
3) Negima! -Magister Negi Magi

I have a space in deviantart.com that exhibits my works:

http://negi-magic.deviantart.com

I'm working on developing his drawing style, and I would like for you all to rate my work, if not by the website, then by here, if you will. ^^
... I really don't think this belongs to the Comic Creator's forum. Nevertheless, I will voice my opinion on your choice of style.

Why in the world are you trying to copy another person's style?

It's one thing to have your artwork influenced by the guy, but to copy his style line-for-line just reeks of a mind lacking in creativity.

Looking at your art, I sat that you also need to draw more than just head-shots. Practice drawing whole figures, especially hands and feet.
I agree with Fanartist. Why copy it exactly? Most of it appears to be directly copied from the manga, and while much of it does look pretty close to the original drawings, copying well is a far cry from drawing well.
there's nothing wrong with emulating somebody elses style, especially if you are a doujinshi artist. but good luck ever trying to be as good as the original. ;_;
You're actually doing a pretty good job. But I do agree with everyone else, but not to the degree that they're saying it. I think that it's okay to copy a certain style... at first. I think after you get good at it, it would be wise to branch off a bit and get your own version of that style. That way, you won't be considered a "copycat". But like I said before, I think you've got some good work going on there ^_^

4,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
(After a few years...)

OKay, people, ease up the stirrings and allow me to explain... *Shakes hands in front*

First than everything: My intention is not to copy Ken Akamatsu's style of drawing line for line. I'm not trying to sound like someone ungrateful, and I do appreciate the comments I've received on those drawings up there *Points at link.*

Second: I'm already in the phase of branching off his own original style of drawing and creating one of my own. Of course, I'm just a beginning drawer, which would explain how my drawings are mostly copies and tops.

I admit it. I'm not good at drawing originals. But everyone has to begin somewhere, right? The purpose I created this thread is because I want to *meet* people who want to do the same I want to do, to learn from Ken Akamatsu's style of drawing and branch off from there to create their own style. I also want to meet people who want to create doujinshis and fanarts based on his works, hence why I put this thread in the Comic Creators forum in the first place.

It might sound as if I'm scolding these Gaians for critizicing my work, but I'm not. Why should I? That's exactly what I wanted, after all. Why get mad at them for them being honest with their replies? I thank these 4 people who have replied before this post comes up. Really, thanks for that. ^^ *Exhales.* Phew, this was long...
Very nice work! It really does look like some of his work. I especially like tama-chan ^^ but I have a problem with some of them. They don't seem... "alive" for lack of a better word. There's something missing that tells me that this is a character/person not just a drawing despite their clean well drawn manner... Maybe that's the problem. It's too slick? I don't know percisely.

The way I learnt was to take a look at someone else's work and draw what I liked from them, ie. eyes and keep on drawing that feature until I drove myself insane. Then I drew a entire face, then proceeded to different views, and now I'm on the body... But what you're doing is a start. Keep going ^^ and try drawing originals without reference at all and see how you're going.
Why Ken Akamatsu of all people... stare I'm not going to go all art snob on you -- I hate those people. But I think that although you're copying his surface style (the eyes and stuff), it's very obvious that you're not getting the vitality Ken Akamatsu puts into his drawings.

In effect, your drawings look rather dead.

I think you're under the impression here that cartooning is the process of making pretty pictures. It's not. It helps if your drawings are totally awesome-looking but that's not the point. Okay, you draw a happy person. Sure, she's smiling and stuff but does she really look happy? Or did you just take the reccomended facial features and stick them on the drawing?

In my eyes, cartooning is the process of making something that is fundamentally exaggerated and unrealistic look alive. Almost every single popular artist out there has this ability, and it is grossly ignored because people assume that it comes with raw drawing skill. I believe it is something you have to learn yourself, and it's actually a lot more important than this 'style' thing people are always talking about.

And as someone who works with iconic art, you really have to look into it.[/rant] ninja
You copied someone elses style and expect to magicly branch off of it even though you lack the creativity and skill to do so... You dont seem to realise you have probably just F*ed yourself for the rest of your artistic life.
Oi. surprised You must be a big fan of his.

4,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
To the people who replied after my second post:

I'm still learning. I suppose you know this means that there's still room for improvement?

Thanks for being honest, though. whee
Dude, you're more or less stealing someone's style. You're just asking for unwanted criticism here.
Quote:
Dude, you're more or less stealing someone's style. You're just asking for unwanted criticism here.

I see no problem.

The guy who drew naruto did the same thing with copying Akira Toriyama, and look where it got him. I mean, I have no idea what his name is. But they made an anime from his creation, and a loyal following of wai wai fanboys and girls too.
Quote:
Quote:

I see no problem.

The guy who drew naruto did the same thing with copying Akira Toriyama, and look where it got him. I mean, I have no idea what his name is. But they made an anime from his creation, and a loyal following of wai wai fanboys and girls too.

Documented evidence they copied Akira Toriyama is... where?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see no problem.

Documented evidence they copied Akira Toriyama is... where?

In his own manga, in which he said so.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces