Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do you use for texture and design?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 1, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

Ano...I keep hearing more and more about screen tones. I don't have money for them, so I draw my own (it's hard and uses a lot of ink). My friend has an awesome program that does them digitally. What do you like to use?
i do them digitally on Photoshop ^^ It's actually better to buy screentones and apply them traditionally though.
I use a lot of cross hatching & stuff like that, tones are just such a huge pain. ^^; I do use them sometimes tho. razz once or twice a page maybe. Never used photoshop ones, but I dun really like how they look, there's usually too much gradient ickiness going on, instead of the skritchy look you get when you.. skritch the tones. ^^;
Janane
i do them digitally on Photoshop ^^ It's actually better to buy screentones and apply them traditionally though.

Why do you say that?
Quote:
Janane

Why do you say that?

Well, I guess it's because traditional tones, when used decently, look nicer. Or so they do in the manga I have (comparing it of course to web-comics. Maybe that's a bad comparison to make).

Screentones are used to reduce the cost of printing (color prints = expensive), so it's not something that's vital to creating a good manga.
But to answer the question, I use digital screentones, simply because it's free/cheap.
i use pen, i've never used digital or screens before...though i would like to try screens sometime...
Miser Bellatrix
Well, I guess it's because traditional tones, when used decently, look nicer. Or so they do in the manga I have (comparing it of course to web-comics. Maybe that's a bad comparison to make).

Screentones are used to reduce the cost of printing (color prints = expensive), so it's not something that's vital to creating a good manga.
But to answer the question, I use digital screentones, simply because it's free/cheap.

I would argue that digital screentones, if made and used properly, can look as decent as "traditional" screentones. And, in addition to being cheaper, I'd have to point out that when used properly they are not subject to some of the limitations of physical screentones, such as air bubbles, tearing, sticking little bits of eraser you forgot to brush off of the paper, bringing out faint pencil lines you forgot to erase...

In fact, in some more recent manga I've seen, it's evident many people are using digital halftones and patterns in their work. Probably the advent of programs like ComicWorks is contributing to this...
Quote:
Ano...I keep hearing more and more about screen tones. I don't have money for them, so I draw my own (it's hard and uses a lot of ink). My friend has an awesome program that does them digitally. What do you like to use?

There is a usefull tutorial on how to use scanned screen tones in photoshop CS or Elements (free download from www.adobe.com)

http://psychobob.xepher.net/screentonez/
I prefer digitally screentoning. It's free and if I make a mistake, I can simply just undo.
Traditional screentones are expensive and if you're not that good at using them, they'll end up looking crappy anyways. blaugh
I use digital screentones, and the program I use has some thing that lets you kinda "make" your own. I don't use them much, but when I experiment with them it's always digital, seeing as the only thing that I've drawn that has been printed out is a stick figure.

I've never used them on paper (I don't draw stuff on paper anymore) O_o Aren't there sheets that you can cut out and paste for paper? (isn't that expensive?)
heh, plz will someone explain what screen tones are? sweatdrop
Quote:
heh, plz will someone explain what screen tones are? sweatdrop

Screen tones:

Tones = as in gradiant or grades of lightness or darkeness. "grey tones" as in differnt shades of grey.

Screen = as in a screen...like the insect screen in your window shade.

In the printing industry, a printer (real ink, like they use to print your news paper), photocopier, laser printer; these types of machines can NOT print grey very well.

So, in order to print grey, the greys must be broken up into DOTS.

Look at a copy of your japanese manga....when you see patterns of DOTS, that's what gives the art "texture"

GO HERE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
TONES!!! >>> http://psychobob.xepher.net/screentonez/

Go there, look at the differnt patterns. If you're intersted, down load all the patterns. Save all the instructions and information. Use it in the future...experiement with it, learn about it...check it out.
wow thanx very much I've saved it to my favourites I'll take a look later cos I've got to go out and find school shoes stare which is pure hell may I add. stressed

Enduring Elder

14,675 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100
I stick with doing screen tones via Photoshop 3nodding

Doing it by hand can be frustrating at first and it takes a while to get used to. The cost of screen tones can add up after a while as well.
I have a strong dislike of screentone in general. But If I had to pick one or the other, I'd say digital. At least with digital ones you can make your own, thus you can manipulate them and get the tones to look exactly how you want. With The 'traditional' ones you have to hope you can find something close enough with what someone has already created to stick down.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff