Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello. To be honest, I haven't posted on here in years but am trying out all of my resources. I'm completely surprised I even remembered my password. heart

Anyway, to the dilemma! I have been working on a graphic novel for about a year now and am finally ready to apply ink and start the final draft. I was wondering if anyone knows the publication requirements for the format? (space between panels, etc) I believe I have already figured out the border requirements, but feel free to post advice concerning this as well.
I have asked numerous people who replied with "I'm not sure" and am beginning to wonder if it's up to the artist rather than the publisher. If you know this option to be true, please say so. I don't intend to give up on this and will keep searching for the answers.
I was also wondering if anyone has any good ways they would like to suggest adding text to a hard copy. I've been thinking of adding the dialogue digitally and have a dear friend who is an inker and has made suggestions towards type, however would love to hear more advice! 3nodding
Different publishers have different specs. Ask the publisher that you intend to go to. If self-publishing, look up the website of the printing service you intend to use.

Different publishers/ printers even have different specs for the bleed space/ borders...

There is no requirement for the gutter space (the space between panels). The way you use it, however, can affect the impact of your work greatly, so just be mindful of how you use it.

If you get the bleed space/ paper width/height proportions wrong, that's going to be a huge pain in the neck to fix afterwards. Ask them!
keiiii
Different publishers have different specs. Ask the publisher that you intend to go to. If self-publishing, look up the website of the printing service you intend to use.

Different publishers/ printers even have different specs for the bleed space/ borders...

There is no requirement for the gutter space (the space between panels). The way you use it, however, can affect the impact of your work greatly, so just be mindful of how you use it.

If you get the bleed space/ paper width/height proportions wrong, that's going to be a huge pain in the neck to fix afterwards. Ask them!

Thanks! I'll have to look up the publishers I'm sending it to. 3nodding

13,665 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conventioneer 300
What Keiiii said on the publishers.

As far as lettering, you can go digital or traditional. Again, though, think of the publisher's you're looking at. What is the main way of lettering in their comics. Usually the more mainstream publishers go for digital lettering, and the more 'indie" ones go for more traditional (This is not always true, of course)

However, also thing of what goes well for your art. Some artists will do hand drawn bubbles and digital letters, and some other will do hand-letters with digital balloons.

If you go traditional, an ames lettering guide is used. They are pretty inexpensive, and are easy to use once you learn how to use them.

Digital (as your friend might have told you), look through all the fonts and be sure that they are a.) easy to read, and b.) fit with the art of the story. If your art style is very organic, than you may not want a very technical font, and if your art is very technical, then you may not want a loose font.

Good luck to you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces