Only if its a manga I can buy in store. 0.023255813953488 2.3% [ 1 ]
One or more options in poll, if so, state what your opinion is. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes:[ 43 ]

7,000 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
Hello!

I'm thinking of drawing a pokemon comic/manga and I'm not sure if I finish it, should I go to Nintendo and see if I can get it published. (I know they already have a wide variety of books, manga etc etc.) Or just make it into a webcomic. I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but I have never had the chance too. But soon I may have much more time to work on this. Any thoughts?

~SuperSaiyanNeo

Aged Codger

No. I don't tend to read fanworks because they're usually made by weeaboos, or written by terrible writers. So basically you get a bad fanfic in comic form. The only time I'd read one is if it was a giant parody or poking fun at the fanbase and subject material, like Buttblow GT.
Honestly,never much liked Pokemon. If I didn't read the original, I'm not going to read a comic about it.
I'm iffy on fancomics usually. If you put effort into the story and the art, I would check it out but wouldnt guarantee that I would like to keep up with it.
I wouldn't read a Pokemon comic in any form, except maybe to laugh at it if it's uniquely and unusually awful.

Fan comics tend to be Mary Sue showcases, self-aggrandizing self-insert stories where a thinly-veiled avatar of the author saves the day and wins the love/admiration/jealousy/etc. of the entire principle cast, flaccid attempts to make the property "edgy" or "more adult," uncomfortable attempts by the author to work through issues with their own sexuality, or just plain boring and badly-executed. And when I witness the rare event of a well-done fancomic, I just consider it a waste of time and talent.

If you enjoy Pokemon this much and feel you have a Pokemon fan-story in you just bursting to get out and be told, by all means, don't let me stop you. Go for it. But you asked me if I'd read it, and nope, I wouldn't. And don't make it under the illusion that Nintendo would potentially ever have anything to do with it, ever. They likely have their own Pokemon comics, with editors wrangling authors and artists to tell company-approved stories that fit established canon.

Invisible Kitten

9,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
My sentiments are similar to Happy Pyro. Only if I was sure that I wasn't wasting my time in reading the fan-made thing, which is also why I refuse to read fanfiction (a lot of it is bad, that is unarguable).
Thooouuugh if I were you, at your current skill level I'd develop more before offering my work to a big company (and their policies might also stop them from taking your stuff). Webcomics are good trial runs because you can ask for feedback and stuff.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Personally, no. However, never let popular opinion dictate whether you should do a certain subject or not. Do what you're absolutely passionate about, put in all your effort, and those who are interested in Pokemon or whatever subject you choose will find your work and adore it.

5,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
I love pokemon, but I've never read the manga. I'm sure it would be pretty cool.
No I wouldn't.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
User Image

If you're comic is good enough, then I think the company itself would approach you, like what happened with Bungie and Red vs Blue. Also, seeing as there are official Pokemon comics that have never been released out of Japan, it's doubtful that yours will become licensed. Additionally, Gamefreak and Creatures have ownership too and Gamefreak actually makes the games.

Don't let that deter you. There are a lot of nice fan comics out there. That being said, if the plot and/or art is good, I will read it. I read a lot of Pokemon webcomics that make me laugh, like Rare Candy Treatment, or ones with nice plots, like Mokepon.

Aged Codger

Tenko72
User Image

If you're comic is good enough, then I think the company itself would approach you, like what happened with Bungie and Red vs Blue. Also, seeing as there are official Pokemon comics that have never been released out of Japan, it's doubtful that yours will become licensed. Additionally, Gamefreak and Creatures have ownership too and Gamefreak actually makes the games.

Don't let that deter you. There are a lot of nice fan comics out there. That being said, if the plot and/or art is good, I will read it. I read a lot of Pokemon webcomics that make me laugh, like Rare Candy Treatment, or ones with nice plots, like Mokepon.

To be fair the guys who did Red vs Blue were a bunch of writers/actors/directors who had done a bunch of short films and stage work before they ever did RvB, so they had skill and experience on their side to help them get noticed.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
Annie Felis

To be fair the guys who did Red vs Blue were a bunch of writers/actors/directors who had done a bunch of short films and stage work before they ever did RvB, so they had skill and experience on their side to help them get noticed.
I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me! biggrin

3,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I would for sure read a pokemon comic, but why not just make something original. It's a lot cooler.
I just want to point out that even though most of the people here say they wouldn't read a Pokemon fan comic, they all seem to do okay on Smackjeeves. Maybe Gaia is just full of partypoopers? x3

What I mean to say is if you want to do it, go ahead and do it. SOMEONE will read it, even if these guys won't. Promote it on Pokemon fan sites or something. It doesn't even have to be exceptional; if it's halfway good and updates regularly, it'll have readership in no time. I wouldn't hold my breath for a publishing contract with Nintendo, though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff