Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think someday America will allow publishing of what Japan calls "Doujinshi", or amateur fan-made manga based on an already created manga/show? I haven't heard many people speak up about this, and I think they should. A lot of people could find personal interest and ways to sell their works this way. It may not pay the best, but it would all depend on how popular the doujinshi is. It wouldn't seem like you'd have to find a big compant to show it off, more so just a way to get people to notice it.
Well you see, there's always this problem about Copyrights, and Americans are very law-suit happy.
Quote:
Well you see, there's always this problem about Copyrights, and Americans are very law-suit happy.

Yeah, I figured that much. It's really a shame. Maybe I'll just save up, learn Japanese, and move to Japan someday.
There have been fanzines of various American properties from time to time. And at US conventions, artists often do the equivalent of "fanart" for money. But do I think the US will ever have a doujinshi industry as strong as Japan does? Not likely.

Part of US copyright law demands a vigorous defense of one's copyrights - that is, if you don't actively try to keep other people from using your copyrighted material, it's possible that your copyright becomes weakened. I think American companies would draw the line at mass-produced and professionally-printed comics based on their ideas.
Quote:
There have been fanzines of various American properties from time to time. And at US conventions, artists often do the equivalent of "fanart" for money. But do I think the US will ever have a doujinshi industry as strong as Japan does? Not likely.

Part of US copyright law demands a vigorous defense of one's copyrights - that is, if you don't actively try to keep other people from using your copyrighted material, it's possible that your copyright becomes weakened. I think American companies would draw the line at mass-produced and professionally-printed comics based on their ideas.

That's a good point, as usual. I will try to go to a convention next year and examine it. If I do see other's selling a doujinshi, I might consider selling a couple myself.
Quote:
Do you think someday America will allow publishing of what Japan calls "Doujinshi", or amateur fan-made manga based on an already created manga/show? I haven't heard many people speak up about this, and I think they should. A lot of people could find personal interest and ways to sell their works this way. It may not pay the best, but it would all depend on how popular the doujinshi is. It wouldn't seem like you'd have to find a big compant to show it off, more so just a way to get people to notice it.

Here was one thread a while back that already talks about doujinshis. It has a brief insight to what I think about doujinshi.

More doujin info.

I am all for a doujinshi world in America but lets clear up some confusion. Not all doujinshi are based on manga or anime shows though it may seem that way to an outsider of this particular genre. Not all are hentai or yaoi either. A doujin can be best looked at like a website but in a book format. So it would be a bit stiffling and limited to just think as doujins as mearly a book about manga or anime shows when the concept of a doujinshi is to be a representation about anything as far as the eye can see. Hope you can make one some day. It's one of the coolest experiences an artists cuold ever take on and it sets you apart from those who talk and those who do.
Quote:
Quote:

Here was one thread a while back that already talks about doujinshis. It has a brief insight to what I think about doujinshi.

More doujin info.

I am all for a doujinshi world in America but lets clear up some confusion. Not all doujinshi are based on manga or anime shows though it may seem that way to an outsider of this particular genre. Not all are hentai or yaoi either. A doujin can be best looked at like a website but in a book format. So it would be a bit stiffling and limited to just think as doujins as mearly a book about manga or anime shows when the concept of a doujinshi is to be a representation about anything as far as the eye can see. Hope you can make one some day. It's one of the coolest experiences an artists cuold ever take on and it sets you apart from those who talk and those who do.

Yes, you have a good point. I realize they aren't all manga/anime-based, or hentai/yaoi/yuri/whatever, but most generally are based from already created characters, right? It's just that the creator of the doujinshi has developed a whole new idea, style, and plot. Not necessarily anime. Basically whatever they want to do. It really would be fun to make one. ^^
Quote:
Yes, you have a good point. I realize they aren't all manga/anime-based, or hentai/yaoi/yuri/whatever, but most generally are based from already created characters, right? It's just that the creator of the doujinshi has developed a whole new idea, style, and plot. Not necessarily anime. Basically whatever they want to do. It really would be fun to make one. ^^

The ones that are based on manga or anime have some premeditated reasons behind them. Doujinshis based on shows, especially the popular ones, could be taken as- the artists has a huge devotion the the story and characters, or the artists knows this is a fastest way to gain recognition. They know many publishers use Comic Market Place as a fishing ground for new talent and styles. A busy table at Comiket may tell a passing headhunter that this artist or artists may be worth looking into. Clamp is a great example of a doujinshi circle that made it big. But over here is a different story because, as one mentioned, there are copyright laws that can't be ignored. Why, in Japan, they can do this is because fans and industry people have an unwritten agreement they must honor. No fans can profit from books based on copyrighted character or shows. You're only allowed to print and sell enough books that covers all the expenses that went into producing it. Here in the US you can almost get away with it if you keep below the industry radar. But if you're caught, don't be surprised.
Quote:

Some people are publishing doujinshi...but on a smallest of scale just to not be noticed by the copyright holders. whee It's never worth it to go after a fan that makes a few things to 'share' amung other fans. xp
There might be a chance, right? If one gets extremely popular and a company thinks it will be a success.
copyrights: maybe it'll be better in China... they already have lots of copyright issues (one of my favs was lord of the rings 4, the CD rom game.... not that I like it, I just think the idea is cute.)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff