Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Noob

3,900 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
I once downloaded a trial of Manga Studio Debut 4, but ended up owning it permanently. There are things that I love about the program, but I'm very bothered by how pixelated the lines of the ink tool look. Playing around the preference settings and working with a 1200 DPI color canvas seems to have improved the lines a tad, but it's still annoyingly pixelated. D=

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

My Mom got me a copy of the program on CD for a Christmas present before I realized that I already bought the program, so I figured that it could just be a problem with the program I downloaded. Are the pixel lines a fluke with the program I downloaded and the CD might be better or is this normal?

Thank you! =)

Shadowy Phantom

This is normal, but can be changed.

The default B&W mode is designed for working for print, the pixelated lines allow the image to be printed very sharply. If you work at resolutions suitable for print, it shouldn't be noticeable that it's pixelated once the work is seen at its final size.

If you want smooth lines (such as if you're not working for print, or plan to colour your pages so the sharp black lines won't be of use anyway), set your layers to be Raster layers in Gray or Color mode.

Aged Noob

3,900 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
I see. So far this is the settings I've been using and what the ink looks like.

It's not perfectly smooth especially when zoomed in on 100%, but better.

Thank you!

Shadowy Phantom

Does it look like that when you export the page as Grayscale (not Monotone)? If it looks smooth when exported, then check your Preferences. You might have the preview set to Speed instead of Quality.

Aged Noob

3,900 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
I exported the file as a Photoshop file and it looks the same to me I also have the preference set in high quality.

Aged Noob

3,900 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
Problem fixed. The ink lines are smoother when I export the file as a png. Thank you! smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff