Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Loiterer

For years I've been using the free Smooth Draw program, but with their newest version I've been having problem after problem. Everything is jittery and I can't get a smooth line for the life of me.

So, I figured its time for a change. I've heard lots of good things for both Photoshop and Manga Studio 5, but I'm not sure which one is really better for my purposes.

I'll mostly be using it for inking and coloring my comic book.

Feral Loiterer

I would also like to be able to sketch on whichever program I end up using. The only reason I'm not right now is because Smooth Draw can't handle it.
what the hell is smooth draw?

can't you use both?

ever hear of paint tool sai?

photoshop - more functionality (spellcheck, filters, other photo editing options etc)

manga studio (or clip studio whatever you wanna call it) - cheaper, better for drawing

i suppose you could get lazy nezumi but personally i think the stabilizer in mangastudio works better

Intellectual Mage

9,750 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: KO 200
For comics, I prefer Manga Studio (MS) over Photoshop (PS). It already gives you pre-made sizes so it saves you the time in trying to figure out what size is standard (along with the guidelines for bleeds and stuff), plus the fact that it's a lot cheaper than PS. I think if you go straight to the producer's website (Smith Micro), they should (hopefully, I haven't checked it in a while) have MS on sale for 60% off, which is something even Amazon or Ebay could not match. If you can, get the Pro/Ex version because it has more to offer and definitely worth the price. If they don't, subscribe to their promotions. I get one at least once a week and they often have their products on sale, something you'd only normally know about if you subscribed to them.

Another reason I like about MS better than PS is because the pen tool is SO MUCH better than PS's. I can never get a sharp enough line as I would get with MS or Sai (Sai has the sharpest by far) and if that's something that is important for your comic, then definitely MS is what you'd need, not to mention the fact that MS's pencil's rendering feels and looks much more real. I'd know. I've sketched all my life and I like MS's the most (even Painter or ArtRage did not come close to satisfying that texture you'd only get with real pencil and paper).

Anyway, I could talk a little more about the differences between the programs, but since I'm not sure what you really need, I'm limiting it to this much info. If you're still not sure, download the trails, too, and play with it until you can decided. Hope that helps.

Feral Loiterer

Neil_Whitehorn
what the hell is smooth draw?

Its basically a free drawing program akin to Paint on you computer, but with some of the coloring tools and brushes you get with Photoshop. The first generation of the program was alright, I didn't have any issues with lines, but this new one is a pain to even bother. I can't do any finer detail work with it anymore. Its free, so yah know....for not paying anything it worked alright for a while, but I'm ready for something better.

Neil_Whitehorn
can't you use both?

No, I can't afford it. I would get both if I could since I'm basically torn between the two.

Neil_Whitehorn
i suppose you could get lazy nezumi but personally i think the stabilizer in mangastudio works better

I've heard about it but I'm not particularly interested. Thanks though!

Feral Loiterer

C e r u l e a n

That was exactly what I was looking for! I'll probably go with Manga Studio given everything you've told me and everything I've looked up, but I'll definitely get those free trials before I put down any cash. Thanks mate!

Intellectual Mage

9,750 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: KO 200
defineunique
You're very welcomed! Glad I could of help. 3nodding

Noah Sanderson's Girlfriend

Floppy Kitten

14,975 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Bookworm 100
I have Manga Studio 5 however for outlining i use Easy Paint Tool Sai. It has vector lays with line tools that allow you to have smooth lines and adjust them after your finished drawing them, its also easy to use with a mouse.I use Manga Studio to color and Photoshop to add final effects. But it really depends on how you want your art to look with the style you use and the coloring methods. You could try to experiment a little with different programs and see which ones work best for you and your art. Hope i helped a little. 3nodding

Feral Loiterer

Neko Akashi

Thanks! I'm in the middle of writing a novel, so my comic is on the backburner for a little bit. But, I plan on taking advantage of a s**t ton of free trials for all those programs to see what they are best for.

3,875 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
I love manga studio 5. It feels more real then drawing on Sai IMO.
My signature that I drew was drawn on Manga studio in little to no time.

Feral Loiterer

Kamemi
I love manga studio 5. It feels more real then drawing on Sai IMO.
My signature that I drew was drawn on Manga studio in little to no time.

Welcome to the after party! mrgreen

But thanks for commenting anyway. I still haven't gotten around to downloading it, but I think I will within the week. Nice sigi, by the way. Smooth lines.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff