Welcome to Gaia! ::

LostPriestess
It doesn't hurt that I don't think I have yet heard a good artistic reason for it other 'that's what they do in Japan.'
Which is moronic because "what they do in Japan" is write the whole thing in Japanese, and while I've come across several people using Japanese language SFX, none of them are putting Japanese text into the bubbles. (The occasional かわいい mixed into the English doesn't count.)

Quote:
And this isn't just about amateurs doing web comics, when I'm reading comics that have been translated, I prefer that the art be mirrored as well, so that the words and the pictures go together.
I don't like mirrored art for a number of reasons, but I'm also not a big fan of how reading in opposition to the page's orientation messes up the flow. I'd put up with the latter over the former in translated comics if I still had to worry about it, but there's no excuse at all for doing that to a comic that's originally in English.
Kaxen
JungleYaoi
Yeah,I had explained that to them,but I guess they were too blinded by the thought of actually creating a manga to listen. XP

Well, I guess there's no hope for changing their minds, for the time being at least. @_@

Seems like it. I should send them over here sometime,maybe one of you guys can talk some sense into them. XD
I actually prefer to plan my pages in right to left. It's not so much that I want to be japanese, it's more that it was an appealing aesthetic feature I've always appreciated. I had difficulties at first, but after practice I'm finding it harder and harder to detect flow issues. Don't know whether that's a good thing or not but we'll see ;D

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
If I see a webcomic that reads right to left I roll my eyes and dismiss it completely. It's just such a weeaboo thing. And I've been seeing people draw "manga" that reads right to left AND has Japanese sound effects with translation notes and everything. Like... what?

e: of course if the comic is translated from Japanese that's a whole other thing.
[~Ramble.Corset~]
I actually prefer to plan my pages in right to left. It's not so much that I want to be japanese, it's more that it was an appealing aesthetic feature I've always appreciated. I had difficulties at first, but after practice I'm finding it harder and harder to detect flow issues. Don't know whether that's a good thing or not but we'll see ;D

It is quite nice,just now well liked unfortunately. XD
I love comics by exoticism-worshiping westerners that read right to left.

That lets me know right away I shouldn't bother to read it.
IronSpike

Eh,to be quite honest that seems a tad harsh,or maybe it was just how you worded it. I don't really think reading from right to left should automatically discredit someone or put them in the category with honest to god Japan-oholics. I personally rather like that format,but due to the fact that none of the stories I write have anything at all to do with Japan I'd never consider using it for them if I were to undertake making a comic. *shrugs*
There isn't any reason for doing it other than mimicking translated Japanese comics, so why is it too harsh to call it what it is?
JungleYaoi
IronSpike

Eh,to be quite honest that seems a tad harsh,or maybe it was just how you worded it. I don't really think reading from right to left should automatically discredit someone or put them in the category with honest to god Japan-oholics. I personally rather like that format,but due to the fact that none of the stories I write have anything at all to do with Japan I'd never consider using it for them if I were to undertake making a comic. *shrugs*

Honestly, though it wont be an automatic dismissal for me, I too put automatic marks against an english language comic (that hasnt been translated) that reads right to left. It doesnt look any better than its more sensible counterpart. In fact, many times it looks worse since native english speakers tend to draw pages that 'read' left to right but stick speech bubbles right to left. if not about a slavish devotion to japanese comics, what is it about? I'll read right to left for translated comics because there are good reasons not to flip the art, but not if its just some kid mindlessly copying translation artifacts.
-2o
JungleYaoi
IronSpike

Honestly, though it wont be an automatic dismissal for me, I too put automatic marks against an english language comic (that hasnt been translated) that reads right to left. It doesnt look any better than its more sensible counterpart. In fact, many times it looks worse since native english speakers tend to draw pages that 'read' left to right but stick speech bubbles right to left. if not about a slavish devotion to japanese comics, what is it about? I'll read right to left for translated comics because there are good reasons not to flip the art, but not if its just some kid mindlessly copying translation artifacts.
devilyoudont

When I had read the comment,I thought it was meant towards people who just read right to left (Which I realize while re-reading it is completely wrong,sorry,stressful day and I'm tired. XD ),hence these:

Quote:
or maybe it was just how you worded it

Quote:
reading from right to left should automatically discredit someone

Either way though,if someone can pull it off successfully I see no reason why they shouldn't,regardless what it's used for or who the audience is. Again,I wouldn't consider it for any of mine but I wont knock someone who chooses to.
devilyoudont
There isn't any reason for doing it other than mimicking translated Japanese comics, so why is it too harsh to call it what it is?
an artist is allowed to use what they feel is a good idea to use as their page layout, whether or not it has been overused in another culture and thus considered 'mimicing'

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
IronSpike

I think Spaiku-chan does not understand the superiority of right to left layouts.
[~Ramble.Corset~]
...whether or not it has been overused in another culture...
Ah yes, it's those silly, silly Japanese who are totally overusing the right-to-left page orientation.
[~Ramble.Corset~]
devilyoudont
an artist is allowed to use what they feel is a good idea to use as their page layout, whether or not it has been overused in another culture and thus considered 'mimicing'

Japanese people are not overusing this page layout, they have damn good reasons to do their comics that way. Incidentally, those reasons are the same reasons why an English language comic should be done left to right.

If you use this kind of page layout in an English comic, it is transparently mimicking Japanese comics. The comic may have other redeeming features, but that element is simply a form of cargo cultism. Hope this helps.
Amentar
[~Ramble.Corset~]
...whether or not it has been overused in another culture...
Ah yes, it's those silly, silly Japanese who are totally overusing the right-to-left page orientation.
well like our 'manga' artists in english, the 'comic' artists in japan are entitled to use left to right if they choose, that doesn't mean they're trying to mimic and be english, so it doesn't mean we're trying to mimic and be japanese

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff