Welcome to Gaia! ::

Think of it this way. You've been hired as a consultant in an OEL manga producing company. One of an editor's artists has asked him whether he should go for an authetic translated-from-japan manga feel or comic-with-manga-influences- feel on a particular issue. a.k.a. the sound effects in japanese or english and he has asked you on your opinions.

Would you, if you were in this professional position, start claiming the other members are full of s**t, swear up and down the room, demand evidence while providing none of your own, call the others liars, etc.? I would certainly hope not, as it does not lead to an informed decision, nor would it help the editor that has to give an answer to his artist.

You are able to identify areas that manga is lacking in. Please consider revising appropriate methods to discuss/argue with others because it is an issue you are lacking in.
[~Ramble.Corset~]
Wait so because you feel the original user used it as a perjorative and I came up with an alternative form of interpretation it means I was using it as a perjorative?
ROFL. That's one hell of a logic and reading comprehension fail. I gave you my argument in the form of a syllogism, for ******** sake! You should thank me for suspecting you of massive dishonesty because the alternative is that you're a complete moron. I mean, just... LOL.
you think she used it as perjorative and I thought she used the incorrect term to describe the behaviours I believed she was intending. Therefore somehow leading you to believe I see I defend perjoratives. That isn't a comprehension fail that's just an inability to understand your view. That someone is unable to understand your 'logic' on this issue may mean you aren't conveying it correctly, not that the other person is a 'moron' for not agreeing. Please see the above post on this page -__-
You're either a troll or a total ******** idiot, [~Ramble.Corset~]. Either way, I'm done with you. But thanks for the lulz.
you either don't know the definition of troll or are just - actually I won't stoop to your level. Thanks for your contribution to the thread, whatever may be gained between your cynicism and attacks on other discussing members. I too was beginning to feel we were getting off track and if you feel you have nothing further to say on whether japanese or english sound effects are more appropriate to use in an OEL then that is probably for the best.

Dedicated Gawker

7,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Amentar

Okay, this really is going nowhere.

I'm not going to repeat myself to you over and over, so this post pretty much applies to anything else you have to say on this subject:
I've already said everything I have to say, I've already given you facts and figures to back up my statements, so disregard them if you'd like, but if you're ignoring what I have to say and disregarding my statements, there is no discussion to be had.
I'm pretty certain all you want is a childish argument, and I'm not not willing to have one.

One is entitled to change their minds, especially in the context of a discussion, where a point may be brought to their attention that had not been considered before (such as that maybe your view is limited only to one particular market, such as otaku? Yes I think I learnt that from this, yet you'd see it as a bad thing). The point of a discussion is for this to happen, otherwise you're just telling each other your opinions to no effect.
The point is to 'enlighten' one another to a perspective they may not have had.
If you don't gain any knowledge from a discussion, it's not worth having.

Calling it contradicting myself is fine, but your attitude suggests that one shouldn't do that, and should always stick to their original story. Never learn. Never expand. Never grow.
I refuse to never change my mind like that.

I'm not even going to go in to how paranoid you seem to be that everyone around you is lying and making things up. A liar, if you will, and it takes one to know one, they say, but I don't think I'll be reflecting on that.

Also, I know you like to have authority, but you really have none here. I thought I'd let you know.
When the conversation has clearly been about one particular subject, to exclude another obvious subject is fine.
You 'don't get' to tell me that I 'don't get' to exclude obvious points.

When I present facts to you, and quote the specific statement you made that the facts relate to, you 'don't get' to then refer them to a different point and tell me that they don't mean anything to it. Of course they don't, they were relating to a specific point.
If you're not able to follow a simple discussion, where points are quoted one by one and responded to, so they are easily readable, then what good is having this discussion with you?

You are refusing to have a reasonable discussion with me, so I refuse to continue this with you from this post onward.
You can accuse me of backing off because I'm 'wrong' or something like that, but that's fine, I don't expect anything other than utter dishonesty from you anyway.

Besides the point that we are off topic, and have been for a number of posts now, so there is really no reason for us to be continuing.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
I'm gonna talk on the grounds of a reader here. If I were to pick up a comic of American/western origin and it was full of Japanese sound effects, I would be very much inclined to put it down. It's not a total repellent, but chances are good that I won't care for what I'm reading, because I'm not part of this demographic.

When you use Japanese SFX, you're catering to a certain demographic and restricting it for others. Basically, who, as a writer/artist, do you want reading your comic? If you're publishing it in English, but there's Japanese SFX and it's read right-to-left, your readers will most likely be other anime/Japanese culture fans, which isn't a big market to start with. It probably wouldn't be popular enough for publishers to make a gamble, translate it to Japanese, and bring it to Japan. You would be putting your own comic in jeopardy just because you prefer certain aesthetics that aren't well received in its place of origin.
Hoshimi Ritsuon
I've already given you facts and figures to back up my statements, so disregard them if you'd like, but if you're ignoring what I have to say and disregarding my statements, there is no discussion to be had.
If you'd ever provided an alternative explanation for why manga are published the way they are, I wouldn't have ignored that, but you never did. As for the rest of what you've been saying, you're always welcome to point out what I supposedly disregarded, but I sure hope you're not thinking that disagreeing with what you said is the same as disregarding it.

Quote:
One is entitled to change their minds, especially in the context of a discussion, where a point may be brought to their attention that had not been considered before (such as that maybe your view is limited only to one particular market, such as otaku? Yes I think I learnt that from this, yet you'd see it as a bad thing).
Oh, where to even start? Changing your mind isn't a bad thing by itself, but acting like you're an authority on X and then claiming to have really been talking about Y when you're told you're wrong about X is dishonest. That's not an idle or paranoid accusation. You should always have a clear idea of who or what you're talking about when going into an argument! I would expect to lose all credibility if I was in a general discussion with someone about, say, car engine performance and midway through, after getting called out for making a bunch of false statements, decided that I must only be talking about four-cylinder engines. That's not the sort of "enlightenment" one learns from; it's the sort of "enlightenment" one reaches for to cover one's a**.

As for the rest of what you're babbling about, I have no clue what you're referring to. You're completely incoherent now that you're no longer even loosely basing what you say on statements either of us have made. But then, I don't really expect someone like you--who is too focused on being "nice" and "civil"--to be good at argumentation. Your type goes out of your way to avoid practice. I sincerely (yes, really) hope you'll gain some skill before you have to write and defend a thesis, because absurd excuses like "I guess I didn't know I was talking about something else" is going to get you laughed out of academia before you even make it in.

Dedicated Gawker

7,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
snacks_ex_machina
User Image
XD ILU

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff