Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm writing a comic about a yaoi couple..one boy who writes comics and reams of becoming famous from michigan and a famous writer moved too new york..they fall in love by the writer's guidance and thus the story advances...If you're interested in drawin ill send the first script
That's not really "yaoi." "Yaoi" specifically refers to fanworks...ie, two characters that are not yours and were not specifically shown as boinking each other on the show that boink each other in your story. Original m/m is more accurately described as "june," though many people in the US have taken to referring to it as "Boys Love" these days.

So, is this supposed to be an explicit work or what? It sounds kind of like Gravitation, except with "comic artist" replacing "rockstar" as the escapist fantasy du jour...or perhaps that was what you were going for.
DefiantDrifter
That's not really "yaoi." "Yaoi" specifically refers to fanworks...ie, two characters that are not yours and were not specifically shown as boinking each other on the show that boink each other in your story. Original m/m is more accurately described as "june," though many people in the US have taken to referring to it as "Boys Love" these days.

So, is this supposed to be an explicit work or what? It sounds kind of like Gravitation, except with "comic artist" replacing "rockstar" as the escapist fantasy du jour...or perhaps that was what you were going for.

Never heard of gravitation...but maybe i should look for it if my comic idea sound sabit to close..and i was unaware of that yaoi tidbit..hee hee..All i've even heard aside from it meaning m/m couplings is that is it an acronym..meaning something i do not know...I suppose i should stick within my own english dictionary and say homosexual comic then...

Wel that about covers what I have teh say..Anyways yeh..if anyone is interested still despite my stupid wording Then I still wanna do it..and you mr smart stuff (no offense intended) maybe you would like to read it and tell me if it is too similer to this 'Gravitation'?...cause i really cant afford to buy any more movies sweatdrop
Yaoi isn't always fanwork. It doesn't have a real plot; it's just sex xp
Unless they have a whole lot of sex, maybe you should say shounen-ai instead...
Originally it referred to fanwork, very much the Japanese equivalent of the western fanfiction term "slash," which sort of grew out of the Kirk/Spock fiction movement. I can't help it if people want to cuse it to refer to something different. You probably COULD call anything just involving two male characters, whether it had sex in it or not and whether it had anything to do with manga or not, "yaoi" and get away with it because most people don't know any better.
DefiantDrifter
Originally it referred to fanwork, very much the Japanese equivalent of the western fanfiction term "slash," which sort of grew out of the Kirk/Spock fiction movement. I can't help it if people want to cuse it to refer to something different. You probably COULD call anything just involving two male characters, whether it had sex in it or not and whether it had anything to do with manga or not, "yaoi" and get away with it because most people don't know any better.

Well that's fine and dandy but I'd rather know what the heel I'm talking about So I'll go with your correction of "june" was it?...Before I do though..do that have any particular rules to it as well? Or does it just mean m/m pairings?
The correct definition of yaoi IN AMERICA IS:
Manga containing relationships between two men, with sex.

The correct definition of yaoi IN JAPAN IS:
Doujinshi (fan manga) containing (often explicit) sex (but not always with sex at all) between two male characters that are not your own.

The correct definition of shounen ai IN AMERICA IS:
Manga containing relationships between two men, without sex.

The correct definition of shounen ai IN JAPAN IS:
Manga made between the 1970's and 1980's characterized by series such as Kaze to Ki no Uta, not necessarily containing sex but highly dramatic and in general ending in tragedy.

JUNE is an out of date term referring to comics emphasizing beauty above all things, named after a magazine in which such series ran. More an aesthetic title than content title.

BOYS' LOVE, BL, boy's love, ect is the current blanket term for all manga containing m/m relationships, reguardless of whether or not there is sex/you're using your own characters/ect.

A lesson for you all. ^.~ (Thank you Aetheticism.)
There are professional publications in Japan that publish yaoi; it's not just on the doujinshi scene. Most of them are in josei magazines, though, I think.
...This was not the point of this thread..does anyone want to draw it or even know waht it is or not? >.<
I'm guessing that Aestheticism updated its list of terms?

Though, Aestheticism pisses me off, because I really don't want to physically mail them a copy of my driver's license just so I can look at their site.

Quote:
...This was not the point of this thread..does anyone want to draw it or even know waht it is or not? >.<

I'm working on my own comics, sorry.
I'd say yeah, but I don't want to do Gravitation 2...

Yeah, that pisses me off, too. Otherwise it's a great site, though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff