Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi! I have started doing a comic, which I post mostly on tumblr. My style is not traditional by any means...

I draw them with using a mouse, in the fresh paint for windows 8 app.

I have gotten good feedback on tumblr so I thought I would share them here redface

Go ahead and give me harsh critique if you want, but I'm probably just going to continue on with what I'm doing aha whee

you can read them here: 1 & 2 & 3

I can tell that people have looked at this because of my IP tracer, and yet, no one has commented.
Oh well. stare

Anxious Lunatic

Heeey, gotta give people time. No disappointment just cuz you don't get a comment right away, this forum's pretty slow in general.

I'm not really sure what to say though about this comic. It just seems like three strips of people who are very sad. If they're all an extension of the other, I can't really tell. They all seem to stand on their own and, even on they're own, I'm lost other than they are all very sad and not dealing with this depression in healthy methods. I think that, if you really wanted to send a deep message, a different medium might express this message much more effectively.

For example, the second comic, of the green girl with the cigarette. I don't... empathize with your comic. Sure, I realize she is sad, and trying to ease it with smoking, but why is she sad? Why is she in her underwear? It doesn't speak much. I can sense there might be a story behind it but, with your current artistic skill, this story is not clear and in the end, I just glaze over it, unaffected. But there are other alternatives out there to comics that would be much more effective in giving life to your message. Photography, a short film, or even just story writing. It's awesome that you made a comic and posted it for others to see, and this might just be me looking too far into it, but your art isn't expressing anything to me other than, 'Yup, sad, vury sad.'

The point I'm getting to is before asking for others opinions, you should be aware of what you're trying to get out of it. If you had specifically asked for advice on how to improve, then I would have said something about the panelling and art and give you just that, tips on what to do to become better at comics. And I'm sure others would have also done the same. However, your post is basically telling me 'Say something about my comic, anything! I'll probably not listen though~' Which is more a cry for attention than anything. Only further evidenced by your comment under about the IP tracer, that's just... really butthurt. Sure, some people will look and not say anything, but they may just be exercising the phrase 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.'

Just... yea.

If you insist on comics, keep practicing, but if you're trying to express something more than 'sad person', you might find a different medium would express your meaning better and result in a better understanding of your content.

I gotta say though, that program you are using emulates paint extremely well. I honestly thought they were painted until I read the description with more focus.
Kenny Cappuchino
Heeey, gotta give people time. No disappointment just cuz you don't get a comment right away, this forum's pretty slow in general.

I'm not really sure what to say though about this comic. It just seems like three strips of people who are very sad. If they're all an extension of the other, I can't really tell. They all seem to stand on their own and, even on they're own, I'm lost other than they are all very sad and not dealing with this depression in healthy methods. I think that, if you really wanted to send a deep message, a different medium might express this message much more effectively.

For example, the second comic, of the green girl with the cigarette. I don't... empathize with your comic. Sure, I realize she is sad, and trying to ease it with smoking, but why is she sad? Why is she in her underwear? It doesn't speak much. I can sense there might be a story behind it but, with your current artistic skill, this story is not clear and in the end, I just glaze over it, unaffected. But there are other alternatives out there to comics that would be much more effective in giving life to your message. Photography, a short film, or even just story writing. It's awesome that you made a comic and posted it for others to see, and this might just be me looking too far into it, but your art isn't expressing anything to me other than, 'Yup, sad, vury sad.'

The point I'm getting to is before asking for others opinions, you should be aware of what you're trying to get out of it. If you had specifically asked for advice on how to improve, then I would have said something about the panelling and art and give you just that, tips on what to do to become better at comics. And I'm sure others would have also done the same. However, your post is basically telling me 'Say something about my comic, anything! I'll probably not listen though~' Which is more a cry for attention than anything. Only further evidenced by your comment under about the IP tracer, that's just... really butthurt. Sure, some people will look and not say anything, but they may just be exercising the phrase 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.'

Just... yea.

If you insist on comics, keep practicing, but if you're trying to express something more than 'sad person', you might find a different medium would express your meaning better and result in a better understanding of your content.

I gotta say though, that program you are using emulates paint extremely well. I honestly thought they were painted until I read the description with more focus.

Thank you for your insight. For my target audience, these seem to speak volumes. When people can identify with the subject matter (which of course is mostly being sad and coping w/ it in their own way or not) it really hits home.

I'm aiming more for a zine sort of comic. Teen angst et all in a nut shell.

But I do appreciate your comments and I'm glad you like the painted effect because I think it's really unique and quite fun. Something fresh and kind of different. I'm working on expanding the stories a bit but for the most part they are just going to be short strips with the cohesive theme of sadness and perhaps reoccuring ''people'' / colour schemes.

Like you said though, you don't quite understand it because you cannot empathize w/ the feelings. The audience my comic or whatever is reaching gets that, so. I guess it's just a matter of how you deal w/ life (or not.)

(About your comments about me being butthurt etc. I don't see anything wrong with trying to get people to see this, I think it has artistic value and is worth a look so w/e. Thanks anyway)
I really can't tell if you're trolling or not. Seriously, don't be bitter if people don't like your artwork, your comics, or 'don't get you', sour grapes won't improve any of those issues. In addition don't be afraid to take critique on your work. not everyone will 'get it' but that's not the reader's failing, it's the creator's. If your market is sad people it will be very hard to market. if they're permanently sad people it'll be even harder to find a market.
People prefer DRAMA over ANGST

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces