Welcome to Gaia! ::

Loyal Wolf

looks promising nice artwork good cover all around it looks like a good comic just a few miss spells but hey it happens to the best of em smile

Virtuous Saint

1,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
Crono Neko
looks promising nice artwork good cover all around it looks like a good comic just a few miss spells but hey it happens to the best of em smile

thanks, glad you like it. ma i really got to look into these miss spells. sweatdrop blaugh

Virtuous Saint

1,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
[cherry-tree]
Victory-Neo
bump

yeah i bumped, wanna fight about it?! blaugh rofl wink

Bumping is not allowed in this forum. Things tend to move very slowly here, so please only bump if your thread leaves the first page.

epic bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol i actually have an update victory issue 4 is finished so come on down and check it out!
and of course, let me know what you think.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Something about the art really bothers me. I'm not sure what it is -- it's a little stiff and something is just strange about it. Are you using reference?

Virtuous Saint

1,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
Fansub
Something about the art really bothers me. I'm not sure what it is -- it's a little stiff and something is just strange about it. Are you using reference?

sometimes i use reference. but, can you tell me a specific issue that made you feel that way?

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Victory-Neo
Fansub

sometimes i use reference. but, can you tell me a specific issue that made you feel that way?

It's everywhere. The figures just look very stiff, I think, sort of lifeless.

Dapper Genius

8,525 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Invisibility 100
Victory-Neo

You should consider putting a few pages in gaiazine. if interested, message me

Virtuous Saint

1,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
just to let everyone know. pages for issue 5 are up. so, come on and check'em out. and as always, let me know what you think.

Virtuous Saint

1,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
issue six is now up! wow six issues under my belt. that's a personal best for me.

Virtuous Saint

1,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
So, how do you like the story so far? let me know what you think.

Virtuous Saint

1,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
here's a page from the comic:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Virtuous Saint

1,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
preview to #7:
User Image
Something you can do to help with the stiffness of the drawings is like 10 min of gesture drawings before you start working on each page.

http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php
http://www.lovecastle.org/draw/

I'm gonna try to give some advice I didn't see anyone else give.

- Some panels are kind of wordy. Sometimes it feels like, "I hope this character has time to take a breath in between all these words!" Try to say people's dialog in a single breath. If it's tough to do it or it feels like they would naturally breath in a certain place, maybe make a new panel.

The other problems I noticed are both color theory problems. It seems like you've got a decent natural ability for choosing colors, but there are some things you can do to improve.

- Lots of different hues. Narrow range of values and saturation. For example, almost all of the colors are either at full intensity or are almost gray. There's a lot of room in the middle! Also most of your colors are around the same value. Differences in value come only from shadow. But, sometimes something is just a darker value than the objects around it regardless of lighting. Of course the shaded areas on such objects will be even darker. Don't be afraid of contrast.

A good book about colors in general is "Color and Light" by James Gurney. It's focused on realistic painting, but what he says about color is applicable to any style.

If you don't have time or money for a book, here is a good tutorial:
http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art/How-I-See-Color-A-Tutorial-184642625

- No harmony between colors. A lot of the time you are ok with color harmony, but sometimes you just throw a color out there that clashes with everything else. Unfortunately it looks kind of bad. The solution here is to mix all of the colors you use out of the same 3 primary colors. You can also use tints and shades of the palette you create. This will prevent you from picking a color that ruins the image.

Here is a tutorial on how to mix a palette in Photoshop. In the beginning, she is talking about making a palette using a color wheel. If you want to skip ahead, she gets to mixing colors at around 5:45. The specific brush she is using for blending is (I believe) the smudge tool with scattering turned on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slm9uZQ4mqQ

Something that I like about your comic is that it is very diverse. Something I usually don't like about super hero comics is that everyone is the same weight, the same age, and the same race.

I hope this post was helpful for you.

Virtuous Saint

1,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
devilyoudont
Something you can do to help with the stiffness of the drawings is like 10 min of gesture drawings before you start working on each page.

http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php
http://www.lovecastle.org/draw/

I'm gonna try to give some advice I didn't see anyone else give.

- Some panels are kind of wordy. Sometimes it feels like, "I hope this character has time to take a breath in between all these words!" Try to say people's dialog in a single breath. If it's tough to do it or it feels like they would naturally breath in a certain place, maybe make a new panel.

The other problems I noticed are both color theory problems. It seems like you've got a decent natural ability for choosing colors, but there are some things you can do to improve.

- Lots of different hues. Narrow range of values and saturation. For example, almost all of the colors are either at full intensity or are almost gray. There's a lot of room in the middle! Also most of your colors are around the same value. Differences in value come only from shadow. But, sometimes something is just a darker value than the objects around it regardless of lighting. Of course the shaded areas on such objects will be even darker. Don't be afraid of contrast.

A good book about colors in general is "Color and Light" by James Gurney. It's focused on realistic painting, but what he says about color is applicable to any style.

If you don't have time or money for a book, here is a good tutorial:
http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art/How-I-See-Color-A-Tutorial-184642625

- No harmony between colors. A lot of the time you are ok with color harmony, but sometimes you just throw a color out there that clashes with everything else. Unfortunately it looks kind of bad. The solution here is to mix all of the colors you use out of the same 3 primary colors. You can also use tints and shades of the palette you create. This will prevent you from picking a color that ruins the image.

Here is a tutorial on how to mix a palette in Photoshop. In the beginning, she is talking about making a palette using a color wheel. If you want to skip ahead, she gets to mixing colors at around 5:45. The specific brush she is using for blending is (I believe) the smudge tool with scattering turned on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slm9uZQ4mqQ

Something that I like about your comic is that it is very diverse. Something I usually don't like about super hero comics is that everyone is the same weight, the same age, and the same race.

I hope this post was helpful for you.

thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff