• Dressed Up 200
God-the-almighty
Corner of the Universe
God-the-almighty
Corner of the Universe
God-the-almighty
Perspective.
One point perspective

Perspective also helps when drawing people or any object. Your number one lesson should be actually looking at what you are drawing instead of drawing your idea of what you are drawing. People are better than you because they have practiced and studied longer. No one is instantly good, it takes time to learn. Also computers don''t make you better than what you can do.

I know I try my best if you can tell I'm not that good but I try and I do want to become a good artitst one day and try my best on drawing anime. That's my passion for now. I've been inspired anime since I was like what two year's old. And my dream was to be eather a artist that is with real life, or with anime. I love to draw and I would love to keep on going with my art. Even thou people may hate it. I still think I can improve with the background's; yes you can see that I'm not really good with angle's and such (xD) but I dident have a rule at the time.... >.< I might redraw it some day but now it's just pratice.
It's not an either or thing, the foundations work for any kind of art even anime.

I would like to learn how to do background's and shading first.
One thing that will put you ahead of a lot of people is to think of it as a whole, your characters and the setting belong together, they are in it. Another thing to remember is light sources. If you have to draw a line in pencil from the light source to your object and imagine the light on them. later on you can worry about reflected light, right now work with a direct light source. it's going to take a while. It's worth it though.

Edit: BTW the foundations apply to backgrounds and shading too. It just means the basic things you need to learn to improve.

Ok right now I might just need to learn how to do land scapeing. So if there's any other's that I should work on first just let me know.

Enduring Gaian

Corner of the Universe
God-the-almighty
Corner of the Universe
God-the-almighty
Corner of the Universe
God-the-almighty
Perspective.
One point perspective

Perspective also helps when drawing people or any object. Your number one lesson should be actually looking at what you are drawing instead of drawing your idea of what you are drawing. People are better than you because they have practiced and studied longer. No one is instantly good, it takes time to learn. Also computers don''t make you better than what you can do.

I know I try my best if you can tell I'm not that good but I try and I do want to become a good artitst one day and try my best on drawing anime. That's my passion for now. I've been inspired anime since I was like what two year's old. And my dream was to be eather a artist that is with real life, or with anime. I love to draw and I would love to keep on going with my art. Even thou people may hate it. I still think I can improve with the background's; yes you can see that I'm not really good with angle's and such (xD) but I dident have a rule at the time.... >.< I might redraw it some day but now it's just pratice.
It's not an either or thing, the foundations work for any kind of art even anime.

One thing that will put you ahead of a lot of people is to think of it as a whole, your characters and the setting belong together, they are in it. Another thing to remember is light sources. If you have to draw a line in pencil from the light source to your object and imagine the light on them. later on you can worry about reflected light, right now work with a direct light source. it's going to take a while. It's worth it though.

Edit: BTW the foundations apply to backgrounds and shading too. It just means the basic things you need to learn to improve.

Ok right now I might just need to learn how to do land scapeing. So if there's any other's that I should work on first just let me know.
The big first step is actually studying what you are drawing. Perspective is also important to know when drawing landscapes.

7,050 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
God-the-almighty
Corner of the Universe
God-the-almighty
Corner of the Universe
God-the-almighty

The big first step is actually studying what you are drawing. Perspective is also important to know when drawing landscapes.

Ah, see this is why I should take classes when I go to college next year... eek I'm sorry but I don't really understand all of this stuff your trying to teach me. I'm.. Not really a good learner at thing's first handed.. I have a learning disabilate and it help's if someone show's me how to do it then speaking me to it...I don't know if that make's any since to you.

Enduring Gaian

Corner of the Universe
God-the-almighty
Corner of the Universe
God-the-almighty
Corner of the Universe
God-the-almighty

Ah, see this is why I should take classes when I go to college next year... eek I'm sorry but I don't really understand all of this stuff your trying to teach me. I'm.. Not really a good learner at thing's first handed.. I have a learning disabilate and it help's if someone show's me how to do it then speaking me to it...I don't know if that make's any since to you.
Yeah I do, I have several learning disabilities including dyslexia. It's your learning style. I tend to see things in patterns myself.

Familiar Member

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Corner of the Universe
So I desided to draw a manga and see how far I can go with my art, I know I'm not really good but this is this pratice it's not the real thing. I was hoping that maybe one day I can get a program that can let me draw in manga style so yeah. And no it's is not like vampire knight this is a demon/vampire/angel manga. I know I'm not really good at feet, hand's, or other stuff that you might fined very bad drawing but still. Like I said before this is just pratice.
The main person is the girl in the middle called Remey and I don't know what to call the two guy's yet. I will deside that later in the progress. I hope you will enjoy my art and wish me luck. My dream is to be an manga artist.
User Image
1) User Image
2) User Image

So this is this is my first page of my manga took me three hour's to do, well it felt like it xD. So this is just a dream that she's having and her hair is curled. I'm not really good at drawing curled hair but this is just pratice and hope to go furether. Vampire Knight inspired me to draw a manga and so did all anime that I love. She is having a dream that a vampire or someone murdered her family right in front of her.
So this is the second page of the manga that I'm working on. As far as I can tell that she's in a living room sitting by the fire looking frighten beacuse someone was murdering her family in front of her and then I tried to draw blood (I'm not really good at that LOL) but it's worth a shot at drawing it. Now I'm not really good at drawing far and near so yeah you can tell by the photo itself. So I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I do. I will be drawing every day and see how much I can draw and imangin of the manga. So thank's for vewing.

You need a lot of work. First of all, your background for your cover is blank, not even color. If it's going to be no color at least at a background scene. I wouldn't give u because my art grew better thanks to my perseverance. You just start drawing your characters and that's not good, you need to start off drawing your characters with joints and then flesh add then add clothes. That's why your characters look ******** up. Real manga artist draw by hand and when they are skilled enough then they use programs on computers but I hate those because they take up too much time, You need to make your main character stand out more by making her stick out more and push the other two characters in the back. If there are demon/vampire/angel characters why don't I see tails, wings, fangs, and that type of stuff. Make them look realistic but still manga. You need to read more manga books. As for your characters, the girls arms need to be drawn straight down by her sides if that's what you are trying to do. You need to finish the guy one the right, his legs and draw him in closer. Also, your panels are WAY off. If you look a manga books, then you can copy their panels but yours are uneven, you should use a ruler or straight edge. The last picture, the one with the girl in the castle or whatever, you need straighter lines. It looks messy and out of place. Your drawings look like a eight year old. You need to make your background more visible because I am assuming it's a castle but I shouldn't have to assume, I should just look at it and know. It seems like you scribbled underneath the girl and I do not know what that squiggly stuff is around her. You need to fix your spelling and make your words more visible. If you are drawing just your character's face on a page your need to take up the WHOLE page. Or if you don't think your writing is bad you could always type out what you want and glue them to your page. It needs A LOT of work and you have a long way to go but keep drawing and you will evolve.
For the first time making a comic, its not bad.
not me at my first time drawing a comic. (a bunch of stick dudes actually.

Rainbow Pusher

Your goal should be to put up pages that you do not need to have a written explanation for (like having to explain to us that she's in a living room, and scared, and her hair is curled).

Real life is a very good resource to copy from, but if you're only doing this as an amateur and don't have all that much perseverance (I myself was quite guilty of that when I was younger), you can also try copying from your favorite artists. Try different expressions and poses based off manga that you yourself enjoy reading.
I began by mimicing the manga artists that I thought had great art. Over time, I developed my own art style and realized how important drawing from real life was. The slow transition between cartoon focus and real life focus kept my interest up. It probably also helped that the easiest artistic reference you could probably ever have is your own body. Over time I got too lazy to google the exact image and point of view I wanted and began simply posing in a mirror. I find it also helps me get the mood of a picture better.
i love homemade comics!! ecspecially manga! i have a to do or how to do manga book at home and i love it!!

Blessed Fairy

Well, the art could be, admittedly, so much better like how you need to color in the blood. Yet, if you take time to improve on what you did it should be very beneficial to you if making a manga is something you really want to do. 4laugh
If you care about this comic, if this is a story you genuinely feel excited about, then keep going. Power through it, work hard, and don't be lazy.

It might not be pretty, but you'll learn a ton from it.

What I found doing my own little comic projects is that it forces you to grow. It's about telling a story, and that story's gonna need backgrounds. It's gonna need hands and feet and people in all sorts of positions with all sorts of facial expressions.

But again, you can't be lazy about it. It's gonna be hard work.

Don't like drawing hands? Tough. Draw the hands anyways. How else are you going to get better at them?

If the pose doesn't look right, go stand in front of a mirror and take the pose yourself. See what your body does in that shape, where the balance is, what is in proportion to what. If you have a camera with a timer, take a picture. Look and see what the difference is between your drawing and the reality. Reference isn't a bad thing, if you have some photos, use them!

Your first page has gigantic heads and iddy biddy bodies. Go stand in front of the mirror. See how big your head is in comparison. Using your head as a measuring size, how many heads tall are you? How many heads down to the waist? The chest? If you start all your drawings with a stick man, you can plan everything out and make sure it's in proportion before you spend hours on tiny details. It's better to have a bunch of scribbles under your drawings than an amazing detailed eye that looks horribly out of place.

If you're serious about being a manga artist, you really should look into life drawings. Drawing naked people is an amazing way to learn, there's a reason art schools across the globe do it. But if you can't do that, just sit with a sketch book and try to draw real people as they actually are. Draw people on the bus, in a coffee shop, whenever you're standing around bored. They'll be quick scribbles for the most part, but over time you'll get faster and you'll get more and more into each drawing.

Keep going because you love the story and do your best to try to do it justice. It will be frustrating and it will be hard work, but if you do your very best each page you will improve.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games