• Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
meta-madness
Atomic Octopus
meta-madness
Atomic Octopus
meta-madness

So i,ll give her the proper respect back unlike anyone gave me.

meta-madness
First off I would like to say this is my drawling style and my idea's.Fansub was being a troll and a jerkweed(I seen it coming) so she asked me too post it here.

Calling someone that gave you helpful feedback a troll and jerk weed is proper respect?

Wait.....When did I call her a jerkweed or a troll?
That's my question to you.

You wrote it in your op in the thread you started in promotions. Except it seems you've edited the op to remove it. rolleyes

Oh well. Not a big deal, just try to have a bit of a better attitude next time.

1 problem bro
I never edited it but like you said
No big deal.

I had a feeling that's what you would say. I guess I just pulled that quote out of thin air? Grow up and accept some responsibility. The first line of your promotions thread is still there anyway.

Arguing with you is going to give me a pulmonary embolism, so I think I'm going to have to stop here. Good luck with your comic.

7,350 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Noob wrangler 100
Atomic Octopus
meta-madness
Atomic Octopus
meta-madness
Atomic Octopus

Calling someone that gave you helpful feedback a troll and jerk weed is proper respect?

Wait.....When did I call her a jerkweed or a troll?
That's my question to you.

You wrote it in your op in the thread you started in promotions. Except it seems you've edited the op to remove it. rolleyes

Oh well. Not a big deal, just try to have a bit of a better attitude next time.

1 problem bro
I never edited it but like you said
No big deal.

I had a feeling that's what you would say. I guess I just pulled that quote out of thin air? Grow up and accept some responsibility. The first line of your promotions thread is still there anyway.

Arguing with you is going to give me a pulmonary embolism, so I think I'm going to have to stop here. Good luck with your comic.

I do have responsibility's that I take care of oh and thank's man I needed it.

Invisible Regular

you can always just keep your comics between you and your friends.
Madame Royale
you can always just keep your comics between you and your friends.

This.

Because I can tell you now that's as far as your comic will ever go. It'll be just between you and your friends because you are so reluctant to take the advice some of these artists have left for you. All of it is great advice for making comics. I sure do hope you don't intend to make a career out of this because you are going to get nowhere.

[hachiro]'s Widow

lol drawling

Hygienic Garbage

Fansub
meta-madness
Fansub
This needs so much work, it's actually really hard to crit.
First of all, you need to read this book.

Second, the art is just not good at all, I'm sorry. Take a step back from making comics for now and draw from life for a few months before you try to tackle comics. You're just not ready.

Sorry to say but I've been making comic's for year's so that's one thing im never gonna give up.

Unless you have something else for me to involve drawling and putting it into a story then just stop.

I also noted that this is my drawling style so don't come and tell me to draw the same like everyone else in the world does I want my art to be seen as a cartoon.(some people comment it as anime)

But thank you for your reply too bad it was'nt possitive.

And this, folks, is why I don't post crits in the art forums anymore. Every time I try, I get "it's my style".

You didn't even read the thread that I linked you to. You didn't read a word of it.

Whatever. Just keep drawing like this and asking yourself why no one cares about your comics then. Not my problem.

You both need to learn to take critique. Fansub, while Scott McCloud's Making Comics book is a fantastic resource, your critique was extremely condescending and the advice that someone is "not ready" to make a comic is so counterproductive. You are never "not ready" to make art. Sure, he has a lot to improve on as far as readability and composition, and I completely agree that he could become more familiar with the human form (never write off life study just because you "do comics", meta-madness) but if you're so frustrated with how people on here take your critiques, maybe you should reconsider how you write them.
Though it does not technically count as necro posting, was there really any value in coming back after the main issue of the thread was resolved to chastise the tone of a critique? Take it up with her privately, but don't bump up threads that are pretty much over with for something that really wasn't germaine to the main thing being discussed. Not that I don't think your motives are good, but it encourages people who won't read far enough into the thread to see the issue resolved to add their two cents to what is now a non issue.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Leaf Collector
You both need to learn to take critique. Fansub, while Scott McCloud's Making Comics book is a fantastic resource, your critique was extremely condescending and the advice that someone is "not ready" to make a comic is so counterproductive. You are never "not ready" to make art.

Thank you for your feedback, I'll be sure to consult with you next time I want to write something. I want to make sure that all my posts are up to your superior standards, God forbid I let Leaf Collector down again with my insensitive remarks, goodness me.

The world is full of people who are not ready to draw comics. Either you have the skill or you don't, and if you don't, you are not ready to put your work out there. If you do it anyway, then this will happen. You will hear things that you don't like and then you will freak out on the internet.

Hygienic Garbage

Fansub
Leaf Collector
You both need to learn to take critique. Fansub, while Scott McCloud's Making Comics book is a fantastic resource, your critique was extremely condescending and the advice that someone is "not ready" to make a comic is so counterproductive. You are never "not ready" to make art.

Thank you for your feedback, I'll be sure to consult with you next time I want to write something. I want to make sure that all my posts are up to your superior standards, God forbid I let Leaf Collector down again with my insensitive remarks, goodness me.

The world is full of people who are not ready to draw comics. Either you have the skill or you don't, and if you don't, you are not ready to put your work out there. If you do it anyway, then this will happen. You will hear things that you don't like and then you will freak out on the internet.

Learning to give good critiques is just as important as having a good art piece. Not only will people receive your advice more readily, it will also help you as an artist to fine-tune your own work.

Hygienic Garbage

-2o
Though it does not technically count as necro posting, was there really any value in coming back after the main issue of the thread was resolved to chastise the tone of a critique? Take it up with her privately, but don't bump up threads that are pretty much over with for something that really wasn't germaine to the main thing being discussed. Not that I don't think your motives are good, but it encourages people who won't read far enough into the thread to see the issue resolved to add their two cents to what is now a non issue.

The issue didn't appear to be resolved from how I saw it. Though my comment was mostly directed towards the critique, it was also in benefit of the author because, honestly, I think it's advice that's good to learn from, but you don't want to listen to good advice if it's given to you poorly. I don't understand this attitude that the people who give out the critiques are always right. People who post their artwork put themselves up in a place of vulnerability, and it frustrates me how counterproductive some of the critiques on here are. It frustrates me more that people (Atomic Octopus) defend the critique, and treat the artist as if they are being unreasonable if they are anything less than thrilled to receive the "advice". And that is what's going on here, so to take it to private message would defeat the purpose.
Leaf Collector
-2o

The issue didn't appear to be resolved from how I saw it. Though my comment was mostly directed towards the critique, it was also in benefit of the author because, honestly, I think it's advice that's good to learn from, but you don't want to listen to good advice if it's given to you poorly. I don't understand this attitude that the people who give out the critiques are always right. People who post their artwork put themselves up in a place of vulnerability, and it frustrates me how counterproductive some of the critiques on here are. It frustrates me more that people (Atomic Octopus) defend the critique, and treat the artist as if they are being unreasonable if they are anything less than thrilled to receive the "advice". And that is what's going on here, so to take it to private message would defeat the purpose.

Oh for ******** sake. You are bumping a thread for which an OP has left to argue tone?

This is the first thing she said, it was direct, but it absolutely wasn't rude:
fansub
This needs so much work, it's actually really hard to crit.
First of all, you need to read this book.

Second, the art is just not good at all, I'm sorry. Take a step back from making comics for now and draw from life for a few months before you try to tackle comics. You're just not ready.

It's not condescending to state that he isn't ready, comic making is a skill apart from both drawing and writing, and if you are not good enough at one to the point where your art suffers from basic clarity issues, you are not ready. It's not an insult, it's not a horror he needs to be defended from. It was neutral in tone, and you are bumping a thread for no goddamn reason. I know you think you are helping, but really, stop. This is silly.

e: this is how their conversation ended:

meta-madness
Okay okay I will it make me feel redimmed and feel better. I,ll post another comic here next week but I want to see if it is okay if I pm you it first too see if it's okay because I think you should be my comic checker.

And it would be nice to have you as my checker since you forgave me.(Peace of me anyone who ever does not forgive me I become obsessed and literally beg for forgiveness)

It will make my style much more better.

Yeah he sounds like he was traumatized bro, better come in and protect him from fansub, despite the fact he thanked her in the end.

Critics are absolutely not always right, but this one was.
Leaf Collector
Learning to give good critiques...will also help you as an artist to fine-tune your own work.
This might hold water if you were talking about whether a critique was apt with respect to the material being considered, but you're not; you're talking about the delivery (tone) of critiques. It doesn't follow that using a tone more people will be receptive to will have any effect on one's ability to make comics.

Quote:
I don't understand this attitude that the people who give out the critiques are always right. ... It frustrates me more that people...treat the artist as if they are being unreasonable if they are anything less than thrilled to receive the "advice". And that is what's going on here....
What you're confused by and frustrated with are your own inventions. There is no requirement to be thrilled with the advice one gets here or to agree completely with the critic. It's not like the OP merely disagreed with the critique and gave intelligent reasons why. It's not like he simply said he'd hoped for a little more encouragement. No, he admitted he only wanted positive feedback, whined about things Fansub never even said, brought in a buddy to whiteknight for him and repeatedly discounted anything anyone said to him, including attempts to point him to a forum that would give him what he seemed to want. In other words, the OP was both wrong and unreasonable in this case. If you want to prove that your complaints have some merit, then find examples that actually support what you're talking about.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
I just don't understand where the whole idea that you must be nice on a critique even came from. I understand not being an a*****e on your critiques, but I will never, ever understand why people think you're supposed to be nice. I have had people tell me, multiple times, that I'm only blunt because it's the internet and I would never crit like this in real life. They refuse to believe that yes, I actually do crit like this in real life. And it's not because I'm rude -- this is uh, what a crit sounds like in art school and in the professional world. It just boggles my mind that young artists these days are so out of touch with reality. Are art classes in high school really that bad? Do they all get compliments and hugs because they are all unique snowflakes? Damn.

This whole thing reminds me of this article, specifically this part:
Quote:
[...] one of the greatest fallacies inherent to the Internet that I see repeated, over and over again, from all sorts of people, is this:

“In real life, people don’t say nasty things about your work like this to you directly.”

And to that I have to go “whuh?” because, unlike most of the people who say this, I have a stack of rejection letters. From Asimov’s and Fantasy and Science Fiction and lots of other non-genre magazines and publishing houses. From script agents, from script competitions, from producers. I started submitting in my teens, under the mistaken assumption that I was the next Gordon Korman. (Go figure, I wasn’t.)

These are professional assessments, and let me assure you, not all of them are nice. Most of them are, because I when I submitted them I was in that category of “very rough, but there’s promise,” and editors tend to be pleasant to that level of talent (if for no other reason, because someday they might need a favour from you). But they aren’t all nice. A sample of a few of the less nice ones:

There is no way I can call this anything other than derivative dogshit.

Step one towards getting me to consider your submission: proper formatting. Step two: not copying the stylistic quirks of [writer] in a manner so blatant it’s frankly embarrassing.

You are, at present, years and years of bad writing away from even being tolerable.

I have one word for you to consider: accountancy.

It was obvious to me that no one had bothered to tell the OP the truth about his comics, and someone had to, because otherwise he would have never known how to improve. That's what a crit is. It's not supposed to make you feel warm and fuzzy.
i actually love simplistic art n comics, and i do like the vibe i get from your work. what i would suggest you working on, is maybe make the art even more simple n clean! n leave space between them panels, as to not have the page seem as cluttred(also making it easier to navigate n less confusing/tiring on the eyes) + having them lines sorrounding the panels/boxes be another thickness than the lines of the art.

i think you should keep drawing!n experiemnt with style n page-layout(which i personally think is the HARDEST thing when putting together a com).. again: KEEP DRAWING!: D

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff