Welcome to Gaia! ::

Does anyone know what brand of paper is good for making manga? I know i can't ask 'where' cuz in the hick town i live in, there may not be the suggested store. So anyone suggest a good brand of paper that they use? Anyone?
Depends, what media are you working with?

For normal pen and ink, I would recomend smooth bristol paper.

There are web sites that will try to tell you that you can't draw manga without their special "manga paper." They're lying. Don't waste your money.
all i ever use is the computer paper with those peel of things on each end.
I just use Letter size paper. I'm going to get A4, though.
Rylioun Cage

There are web sites that will try to tell you that you can't draw manga without their special "manga paper." They're lying. Don't waste your money.

But Deleter paper is manga paper, & it's way cheaper then that Bristol stuff. sweatdrop www.Deleter.com (Aah, what happened to their site? @_@.;; hope it's back up soon.. they're a popular brand, it won't die I'm sure sweatdrop ) get type B, it's thick (smooth too) & be sure it's the kind with lines. :3 If there's a Kinokuniya bookstore in a city near you, they should carry it. ^-^.
Guacamole-kun
Rylioun Cage

But Deleter paper is manga paper, & it's way cheaper then that Bristol stuff. sweatdrop www.Deleter.com (Aah, what happened to their site? @_@.;; hope it's back up soon.. they're a popular brand, it won't die I'm sure sweatdrop ) get type B, it's thick (smooth too) & be sure it's the kind with lines. :3 If there's a Kinokuniya bookstore in a city near you, they should carry it. ^-^.

www.akadotretail.com since www.deleter.com is down.

Rylioun Cage is partially right. You do NOT need speacial pre-printed margin comic paper to do comics (Comics: western and japanese); however, for beginning artist, they should buy manga paper.

It's not too much more expensive than Bristol...actually, it's cheaper than double ply Bristol paper. Single ply Bristol and 'card stock' 9x12 paper is far cheaper than pre-printed margin comic paper...I use the cardstock stuff.

Rylioun Cage, the only problem that new artist has....as you can see from all the insanely basic question on these forums.... is they don't have a clue of 'proportion'. Where you and I can rule and margin our own paper with our understanding of proportion, new people need their 'hands held' in the beginning of their learning.
well, i like to use DELETER because it is "manga paper" and it comes with the margins and stuff. this paper is really smooth and black lead erases REALLY well-blue lead is the...well, not the devil, but it can suck.
i find the margins to be really helpful; especially when i want to line up the frames correctly. right now i use B4-i figured the bigger, the better. i was not necessarilly right. sometimes it is hard to draw big enough-you get so much space. i think that i might go down to B5. if it is JIS standard, it should only be a little smaller. i have yet to try out I.C. brand, yet.
I know, all that suff i just said is probably foreign to you but if you go to sights like www.akadotretail.com, they will lead you through the "process".
anyway, best of luck and all that other stuff.
P.S.-lots o' money is recommended xp
I personally use plain paper, esp the printing type xp I've used several Deleter papers once, and I found that it burnt a hole in my pocket.

Not to scare you away or anything, Kinokuniya is probably one of the best art supply store if you're looking to start a manga 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff