Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am not even sure anyone will reply, so here it goes. I am an author-to-be, and I came up with an Idea that would work out best as a manga. I would want an example of your work, and would want to be able to contact you via e-mail. Please ask any questions that you would like.

Heart Hunter

12,100 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
You should write at least short version of story(details are not important, and no one will be able actually to steal your idea if you give out few lines about story itself, so don't worry), how long will the story be (chapter-wise) and give samples of your writing.
Gives you more chance of finding someone to work with you.
or maybe set up a test. like post a section fo your story for artists to illustrate and reply
Seele Kindern
I am not even sure anyone will reply, so here it goes. I am an author-to-be, and I came up with an Idea that would work out best as a manga. I would want an example of your work, and would want to be able to contact you via e-mail. Please ask any questions that you would like.

How much are you paying?

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Khymichi
or maybe set up a test. like post a section fo your story for artists to illustrate and reply
I doubt that'll get many takers. There's a reason why both artists and writers have samples and portfolios.
ninitan
Seele Kindern

How much are you paying?

Gaia gold or items. Not really sure.
Protagonist: Mai- vampire warrior (extremely bitter, hates humans) who's entire life is fighting, then she looses use of her four limbs(all were severed at varied lengths during explosion), and seemingly her entire lifestyle.
Supporting character #1: Taisuke- engineer (annoyingly upbeat, always wears goggles and a leather apron) with a crush on Mai. After she looses her limbs, he invents mechanical prostetics so she can have her life back.
Jist of story: Mai nearly dies in a bombed building, but is rescued before she can die completely. The doctors save her life, but not her limbs, which were to mangled to save. Taisuke hates seeing Mai depressed, so he makes her a new body (basically) and he helps to attach it to her. Drugs don't work on her, so she feels everything. Once she recovers from the surgery, she breaks Taisukes leg as payback for what she had to endure.

Draw up a character sketch of either character.
Seele Kindern
ninitan
Seele Kindern

How much are you paying?

Gaia gold or items. Not really sure.

No thanks then.
Seele Kindern
Protagonist: Mai- vampire warrior (extremely bitter, hates humans) who's entire life is fighting, then she looses use of her four limbs(all were severed at varied lengths during explosion), and seemingly her entire lifestyle.
Supporting character #1: Taisuke- engineer (annoyingly upbeat, always wears goggles and a leather apron) with a crush on Mai. After she looses her limbs, he invents mechanical prostetics so she can have her life back.
Jist of story: Mai nearly dies in a bombed building, but is rescued before she can die completely. The doctors save her life, but not her limbs, which were to mangled to save. Taisuke hates seeing Mai depressed, so he makes her a new body (basically) and he helps to attach it to her. Drugs don't work on her, so she feels everything. Once she recovers from the surgery, she breaks Taisukes leg as payback for what she had to endure.

Draw up a character sketch of either character.

So, is this the background, or is this the main plot of the story?
Seijaku_Ishida
Khymichi
I doubt that'll get many takers. There's a reason why both artists and writers have samples and portfolios.

that could be true, but everyone has to adapt when they are working with others. So a portfolio can't always showcase the exact style that'll be produced
Khymichi
Seijaku_Ishida
Khymichi

that could be true, but everyone has to adapt when they are working with others. So a portfolio can't always showcase the exact style that'll be produced

That's how professional artists work all over the world. They have a portfolio and that's it. No one is going to draw a couple of pages as a test for a job.

You don't hire an artist based on style, you hire them based on skill. A skilled artist can work in any style they want anyway.
I'm beginning to think there should be a template for writer-seeks-artist requests. But you asked nicely.

The thing is, drawing a story takes about 20x the amount of time it takes to write it, so you'd kindof need to offer something rewarding enough to convince an artist to do that amount of work for/with you. Publication on a website or magazine is another possible reward. It might also help if you could estimate how many comic pages the story would span. If it's 10 to 20, there is a chance you'll find someone who will do it for the fun of it and it shouldn't take much more than half a year to draw in one's spare time.

Good luck.
So, is this the background, or is this the main plot of the story?

Backround. Still working on main plot.
This work would basically be a "Just for fun" type deal. I am trying to get published and am inching closer. IF I did ever get published and my employers wanted this story as well, I would personally seek out whoever did the art and tell them as such.

As for pay, I would pay you in Gaia gold, with the rates for Japanese Mangakas. 100-500 a page, depending on quality and if you stick to the story.
Seele Kindern
As for pay, I would pay you in Gaia gold, with the rates for Japanese Mangakas. 100-500 a page, depending on quality and if you stick to the story.

Japanese mangaka make $27 - $40 per page, which is at least 2.7 to 4 million Gaia gold per page.

No one even mildly competent is going to agree to draw a comic for Gaia gold, and if by some miracle someone does agree, they will want a lot and I mean a LOT more than 100 to 500 gold per page.

e: it's also highly unlikely that an American or European comic artist would be willing to work for mangaka rates even in real life money.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff