Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
oddlyalli
QueenTroll38
oddlyalli
So is the Roger's warden kind of a Space Privateer King, hired by the...Parliament of the Galaxy, or something like? In which case, is this a government-made pocket dimension, or is it a full-fledged universe that someone discovered? Or is SPK touched in the head to do good, or just removing the competition? Lots of questions about a side character/origin, sorry. But he sounds fascinating.

It is to be unexplained why Badger has the same name as his Terran look-alikes? Fine with me. "Came from" meaning he was born in the Roger, and is very dangerous because of his parents and/or environment, or meaning he was detained there some amount of time ago? Do you mean for his key to be unrelated to the rest of them or dual purpose? And by anti-hero do you mean you're setting him up to be a/the villain, or an anti-hero, which is kind of a bad/normal guy who happens to be working with the heroes for his own reasons?

to be honest, I haven't got to that deep of a detailed development yet. those are good questions and I probably cannot include all that in the first chapter, but sure will be in the chapters to come.

I plan to par the badger character with a human partner, probably a girl since that is the trendy match for most bad-a**/goody-two-shoes pairs in pop media (Bioshock 3 would be a great example for references) About his personality? He's a cold-hearted killer with no intends to do good. However, he's not willing to owe anyone any favs. He always repays his debts.

Well, thanks; I hope you get a chance to answer them, at least in your head. More questions: How did a goody-two-shoes get in the Roger? Is she actually well-behaved, or more just the cheerful one you have to watch out for? You know you don't have to keep with the trendy, but it's looking like having a girl partner might help even out our gender representation.

And I didn't so much wonder about Badger's personality, but the role he'll play in the comic. Will he be an antagonist, or are his goody-two-shoes going to walk him on the straight and narrow? (Thanks for the info, though.) And about timing; our first plan was for each of the characters to be unlocking, as a group, one large thing at the end of the first chapter. You have Badger just entering the same dimension as the rest of us then. I think it could work quite well if we have two or three short sections before everyone meets, but that's something that does need to be planned and decided as a group of artist/writers.

the girl will lead him straight.

hmm, i have a really good idea about the character development now, let me post the first chapter here and see if you guys like it. i would probably need about a month to get it start.
but to see if you guys like my format and art style i will do a random sample page first.

also, about the charity thing, how would that work? would people pay to read our project?

Fluffy Genius

4,425 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
QueenTroll38

also, about the charity thing, how would that work? would people pay to read our project?

I can collect all of our pages together into a book, and publish it as a comic. And we'd sell the book online. And then all the proceeds from that would be donated.

High-functioning Punching Bag

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
Princling
QueenTroll38

I can collect all of our pages together into a book, and publish it as a comic. And we'd sell the book online. And then all the proceeds from that would be donated.

Is it okay if I make my pages viewable on DeviantArt? I don't have the links, but there is documented proof that webcomics sell better than unknown works only available for pay, besides the fact mine will mostly only be teasers for the rest of the story.

Also, about this template: link
Does any ink print in the margin area? If I want the edges of my panels to remain exactly as I paint them, do they have to be another margin in from the margin area? (EDIT: I reread the template with my full sleep meter and it made sense this time.) I just frankly don't know anything about printing a comic, so, if you have any knowledge to share, please do. Or are we even printing this, vs. going for a kindle-esque publishing route? Also, if you're planning to print, where exactly will you sell these?

Also also, if we find our comic actually has a moral/theme (which it should, frankly, to be an effective story), is it alright if we vote on a different, directly-applicable charity to which our proceeds could go? Is there a specific reason you want to support The Random Act?

Fluffy Genius

4,425 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
oddlyalli
Princling
QueenTroll38

Is it okay if I make my pages viewable on DeviantArt? I don't have the links, but there is documented proof that webcomics sell better than unknown works only available for pay, besides the fact mine will mostly only be teasers for the rest of the story.

Also, about this template: link
Does any ink print in the margin area? If I want the edges of my panels to remain exactly as I paint them, do they have to be another margin in from the margin area? (EDIT: I reread the template with my full sleep meter and it made sense this time.) I just frankly don't know anything about printing a comic, so, if you have any knowledge to share, please do. Or are we even printing this, vs. going for a kindle-esque publishing route? Also, if you're planning to print, where exactly will you sell these?

Also also, if we find our comic actually has a moral/theme (which it should, frankly, to be an effective story), is it alright if we vote on a different, directly-applicable charity to which our proceeds could go? Is there a specific reason you want to support The Random Act?

Yes, you can put teaser pages on DeviantArt. I'd wait a little bit, until just when we have the book ready to publish, so then you could post the pages, and immediately be able to link them to the book.

I use Ka-Blam. They'll be printed as a physical book - like a graphic novel, in black and white (unless we decide color). But we can do kindle as well, if you'd like smile

Mostly sell them online, and possibly conventions. I can hit up the local place and see if they'll carry it, because some local places are willing to do that sort of thing - especially so if it's for charity.

I want to go with Random Acts for a few different reasons.

First, because it's not run by a corperation, it's run by this guy called Misha Collins. And when Misha was a kid, his family was homeless, and there was this gentleman who saw them and took them out to eat, and he was so astounded by the kindness, that some guy they didn't even know would do that, that it stuck with him. And that's why he started the charity. To spread that sort of kindness.

The way it works, is that any person can contact them, put forth a plan (like, this is what needs help, this is why, this is how much we need) and then Random Acts funds their plan. A friend and I found out about a small population of people living in the storm drains beneath Las Vegas and put together a plan to help them - give them sleeping bags, flashlights, etc - and Random Acts funded us, so we could purchase the supplies we needed.

There's also a project they're doing right now, where there is this American ex-Military guy who lost his legs in Afghanistan, and hurt his arms, and his wife is disabled, and they're living in his dad's refurbished garage with their two kids. And Random Acts is secretly building and furnishing them a house.

So yeh. It's a good, really good, organization.

Sparkly Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Sounds interesting. I'm looking to get some more work experience in that area. Here's a link to my gallery, Links to some of my favorite pieces I've done and some picture samples.

Full Gallery

Frank and Carly Comic

Sherlock and Watson

Korean Webtoon Style Demo

I just like this one

User ImageUser Image

Fluffy Genius

4,425 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
filigree hummingbird
Sounds interesting. I'm looking to get some more work experience in that area.

Yes of course you can join us smile
You'll probably be the last, we don't to get overwhelmingly full! heart

Welcome whee heart heart

Sparkly Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Wow cool. I'm kind of excited now biggrin heart

Princling
filigree hummingbird

Welcome whee heart heart

Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
filigree hummingbird

Princling
filigree hummingbird

Welcome whee heart heart

welcome. you will be a great addition to our team.

so what do you have in mind? what kind of character would you draw? animal? human?

Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
hey guys, do I really have to keep my work PG13? can I please put some ultra-violence and partial nudity into my project? cause that would suit my art style better. i'm going for retro style and i'm hoping to use above devices to attract more adult viewers.

Sparkly Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
I've mostly have worked with human characters up until now but I've gotten really into drawing animal type characters lately. So I can do both really.

QueenTroll38
filigree hummingbird

Princling
filigree hummingbird

Welcome whee heart heart

so what do you have in mind? what kind of character would you draw? animal? human?

Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
filigree hummingbird
I've mostly have worked with human characters up until now but I've gotten really into drawing animal type characters lately. So I can do both really.

QueenTroll38
filigree hummingbird

Princling
filigree hummingbird

Welcome whee heart heart

cool, so you can start right away. what you need to do is to create a set of characters, write/draw a single chapter worth of story, set 1 protagonist who would travel to another dimension using the "key" by the end of that chapter, and we are good to go.

you will have complete freedom over this project except by the end of the chapter, our individual characters will meet up on the last page.

I have already started the project and have finished about 1/5 of the story.

Good luck. biggrin

Sparkly Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Where do we send it once we're done?

QueenTroll38
filigree hummingbird

QueenTroll38
filigree hummingbird

Princling
filigree hummingbird

Welcome whee heart heart

cool, so you can start right away. what you need to do is to create a set of characters, write/draw a single chapter worth of story, set 1 protagonist who would travel to another dimension using the "key" by the end of that chapter, and we are good to go.

you will have complete freedom over this project except by the end of the chapter, our individual characters will meet up on the last page.

Good luck. biggrin

Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
filigree hummingbird
Where do we send it once we're done?

QueenTroll38
filigree hummingbird

QueenTroll38
filigree hummingbird

Good luck. biggrin

to our boss, in this case, the OP.

Cuddly Browser

Hello there,
I kinda got a draft of what I am doing, but I wanted to ask, um, have we come to terms about which style of art to use, colored or just lines, etc.? I think I disregarded this area when drafting and I believe I must make some adjustments :/

Fashionable Raider

3,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
Cool, can I join?

This is my sample art:

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff