Welcome to Gaia! ::

High-functioning Punching Bag

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
QueenTroll38
This is going to be my character- Badger the Roger

Kinda-needless to say, I am also excited about this design and your art skillz--but I'm mostly curious if there's a story behind the word order in his name. Is his species actually called Rogers and unaware of its resemblance to an earth mammal? Was he named after his tendency to hound people to do what he wants?

Blessed Friend

4,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Timid 100
That's an interesting looking key.

Fluffy Genius

4,425 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
oddlyalli
Princling
oddlyalli
(Did we decide you're just spitballing with us on the major plot devices, since you don't want to draw?)

Wasn't it like, Crie was supposed to help people figure out their plots?
And he could create a character (like, name, backstory) and I would make that character one of my Space Marines?

Sounds good to me.

Here's my preliminary design for my key piece--I'm thinking it's basically a key card for a specific alien species, fits their "hands" perfectly. The other pieces/key cards can be anything we want; our modern credit card types, thimbles, whatever. It depends what we're unlocking, of course, but it could have been designed for a specific multi-race team.

Also by the way, is it okay if we actually call the Space Marines Space Marines in-universe? Because there are jokes to be made with that. But it might require that there still be Earth Marines.

Anyhoo:
Deviantart Key Drawing

Sure dude, whatever you'd like whee heart

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
Crie_Skies
That's an interesting looking key.

Thank you! I like your idea for a clumsy/kleptomaniac/able-to-fight-things-while-fixing-others space pirate.

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
Princling
oddlyalli
Also by the way, is it okay if we actually call the Space Marines Space Marines in-universe? Because there are jokes to be made with that. But it might require that there still be Earth Marines.

Anyhoo:
Deviantart Key Drawing

Sure dude, whatever you'd like whee heart

Yay!

Cuddly Browser

redface
Well, hello there.

I think that laziness to draw humanoid characters made me make this choice.
My character is something like smoke(?), from a family of shape shifters, however for some reason it can't materialize into anything, so it stays like smoke :/
Instead of showing it's story, I'll just explain somehow how it got to the um, place where all meet up.
Since it doesn't have a face, emotions and expressions will be shown through, ugh, like body language (of smoke) sweatdrop , most likely will depend if we shade, color, or black&white.
Its name is *insert something random here*, they call it Augustine.
Oh, congratulate it, the first thing it will be able to materialize is the key!

Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
oddlyalli
QueenTroll38
This is going to be my character- Badger the Roger

Kinda-needless to say, I am also excited about this design and your art skillz--but I'm mostly curious if there's a story behind the word order in his name. Is his species actually called Rogers and unaware of its resemblance to an earth mammal? Was he named after his tendency to hound people to do what he wants?

His name is Badger and he came from a place from a different dimension called "The Roger".
The Roger is a zone where you dump all the most dangerous criminals from around the galaxy. The Roger is ruled by a Space Pirate King whose role is to "steal" evil (which is represented by the most notorious criminals from world to world) so the galaxy can be more "pure".

Tonight I'm going to start drawing my character's story. By the end of the chapter my badger will find the "key" to escape The Roger.

So yes, my character will be anti-hero.

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
Echo Is Gone
redface
Well, hello there.

I think that laziness to draw humanoid characters made me make this choice.
My character is something like smoke(?), from a family of shape shifters, however for some reason it can't materialize into anything, so it stays like smoke :/
Instead of showing it's story, I'll just explain somehow how it got to the um, place where all meet up.
Since it doesn't have a face, emotions and expressions will be shown through, ugh, like body language (of smoke) sweatdrop , most likely will depend if we shade, color, or black&white.
Its name is *insert something random here*, they call it Augustine.
Oh, congratulate it, the first thing it will be able to materialize is the key!

Interesting...I'd like to see some kind of visuals to that backstory, not just text, because the creativity you'd have to use would be great; but if you really think that's the best option, we can probably make it work.

Development questions: Is Augustine's problem terminal/usually terminal? What would you like your key to look like?
When will Augustine turn into it? Will it be an old fashioned keyhole where Augie only has to partially insert himself when he reaches the place, try really hard to be solid against the tumblers, and spin? Or will he have seen an illustration of a key, seen it fall into a sun, or, I dunno, dreamed about it, before discovering he could take that specific form?

I work best in color, though I don't know yet whether we're coordinating that (Queen Troll working with lovely b&w lines, etc.). But, of course, changing smoke's color is an easy way to express emotions--if you have someone nearby at the start who knows the color associations of Augie's race. {Random idea: it could have been a curse/poison to remove his ability to hide emotions, if he embarrassed a love interest by rejecting her after she bared her heart to him.}

Color would also provide a way of showing if he's further weakening (if his problem is an illness)--when he starts losing the ability even to change his color, you know his condition is worsening, but a touch of color would be the first signs of hope. He could even do the rage recovery thing more dramatically: if someone threatened someone/thing he loved when he's depleted to a pool of pale grey mist, he could rise off the ground while blushing the anger color (say, orange), begin accelerating toward the threat as he got brighter, and impact with the threat's face as something solid (say, a snarling tiger).

These are all (or most of) the thoughts I had in response to your character design. It's a good idea; don't use it as a laziness crutch, make the most of it.

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
QueenTroll38
oddlyalli

His name is Badger and he came from a place from a different dimension called "The Roger".
The Roger is a zone where you dump all the most dangerous criminals from around the galaxy. The Roger is ruled by a Space Pirate King whose role is to "steal" evil (which is represented by the most notorious criminals from world to world) so the galaxy can be more "pure".

Tonight I'm going to start drawing my character's story. By the end of the chapter my badger will find the "key" to escape The Roger.

So is the Roger's warden kind of a Space Privateer King, hired by the...Parliament of the Galaxy, or something like? In which case, is this a government-made pocket dimension, or is it a full-fledged universe that someone discovered? Or is SPK touched in the head to do good, or just removing the competition? Lots of questions about a side character/origin, sorry. But he sounds fascinating.

It is to be unexplained why Badger has the same name as his Terran look-alikes? Fine with me. "Came from" meaning he was born in the Roger, and is very dangerous because of his parents and/or environment, or meaning he was detained there some amount of time ago? Do you mean for his key to be unrelated to the rest of them or dual purpose? And by anti-hero do you mean you're setting him up to be a/the villain, or an anti-hero, which is kind of a bad/normal guy who happens to be working with the heroes for his own reasons?

Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
oddlyalli
QueenTroll38
oddlyalli

So is the Roger's warden kind of a Space Privateer King, hired by the...Parliament of the Galaxy, or something like? In which case, is this a government-made pocket dimension, or is it a full-fledged universe that someone discovered? Or is SPK touched in the head to do good, or just removing the competition? Lots of questions about a side character/origin, sorry. But he sounds fascinating.

It is to be unexplained why Badger has the same name as his Terran look-alikes? Fine with me. "Came from" meaning he was born in the Roger, and is very dangerous because of his parents and/or environment, or meaning he was detained there some amount of time ago? Do you mean for his key to be unrelated to the rest of them or dual purpose? And by anti-hero do you mean you're setting him up to be a/the villain, or an anti-hero, which is kind of a bad/normal guy who happens to be working with the heroes for his own reasons?

to be honest, I haven't got to that deep of a detailed development yet. those are good questions and I probably cannot include all that in the first chapter, but sure will be in the chapters to come.

I plan to par the badger character with a human partner, probably a girl since that is the trendy match for most bad-a**/goody-two-shoes pairs in pop media (Bioshock 3 would be a great example for references) About his personality? He's a cold-hearted killer with no intends to do good. However, he's not willing to owe anyone any favs. He always repays his debts.

Blessed Friend

4,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Timid 100
Wow you guys are so talented and smart. O.o

Cuddly Browser

oddlyalli

Interesting...I'd like to see some kind of visuals to that backstory, not just text, because the creativity you'd have to use would be great; but if you really think that's the best option, we can probably make it work.

Development questions: Is Augustine's problem terminal/usually terminal? What would you like your key to look like?
When will Augustine turn into it? Will it be an old fashioned keyhole where Augie only has to partially insert himself when he reaches the place, try really hard to be solid against the tumblers, and spin? Or will he have seen an illustration of a key, seen it fall into a sun, or, I dunno, dreamed about it, before discovering he could take that specific form?

I work best in color, though I don't know yet whether we're coordinating that (Queen Troll working with lovely b&w lines, etc.). But, of course, changing smoke's color is an easy way to express emotions--if you have someone nearby at the start who knows the color associations of Augie's race. {Random idea: it could have been a curse/poison to remove his ability to hide emotions, if he embarrassed a love interest by rejecting her after she bared her heart to him.}

Color would also provide a way of showing if he's further weakening (if his problem is an illness)--when he starts losing the ability even to change his color, you know his condition is worsening, but a touch of color would be the first signs of hope. He could even do the rage recovery thing more dramatically: if someone threatened someone/thing he loved when he's depleted to a pool of pale grey mist, he could rise off the ground while blushing the anger color (say, orange), begin accelerating toward the threat as he got brighter, and impact with the threat's face as something solid (say, a snarling tiger).

These are all (or most of) the thoughts I had in response to your character design. It's a good idea; don't use it as a laziness crutch, make the most of it.

The reason why I plan to use body language, is because, well the readers nor I are supposed to know their language. If I put bubble texts on its back story, I would most likely put some symbols or whatever there.
The thing is, their actions should be understood.

About the key, it will like... encounter a random ruin o something like that, and find a carved stone with a pattern, it will try to touch it, and notice it is like... a switch... and (something happens here), it materializes the key. *This part is more likely subject to change.

The problem with Augie(you got it a nick already, lulz), is that he can make shapes but it can't make itself solid. I think... I want it to die at the end. Tragic hero! So, his problem won't be solved.
The reason being, that shape shifters have two ways to die, one is to never materialize, so in a certain span of time, they will like smoke, dissipate. The other way is materializing in something that is mortal, let's say an animal, if the shape shifter stays too long in one shape, it loses its self-being (like, forgetting it is a shape shifter), thus stays being an animal, until it dies like animal do.

Another note: I refer it as it, because, well it doesn't have a gender, so I am not sure how to address it.

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
QueenTroll38
oddlyalli

to be honest, I haven't got to that deep of a detailed development yet. those are good questions and I probably cannot include all that in the first chapter, but sure will be in the chapters to come.

I plan to par the badger character with a human partner, probably a girl since that is the trendy match for most bad-a**/goody-two-shoes pairs in pop media (Bioshock 3 would be a great example for references) About his personality? He's a cold-hearted killer with no intends to do good. However, he's not willing to owe anyone any favs. He always repays his debts.

Well, thanks; I hope you get a chance to answer them, at least in your head. More questions: How did a goody-two-shoes get in the Roger? Is she actually well-behaved, or more just the cheerful one you have to watch out for? You know you don't have to keep with the trendy, but it's looking like having a girl partner might help even out our gender representation.

And I didn't so much wonder about Badger's personality, but the role he'll play in the comic. Will he be an antagonist, or are his goody-two-shoes going to walk him on the straight and narrow? (Thanks for the info, though.) And about timing; our first plan was for each of the characters to be unlocking, as a group, one large thing at the end of the first chapter. You have Badger just entering the same dimension as the rest of us then. I think it could work quite well if we have two or three short sections before everyone meets, but that's something that does need to be planned and decided as a group of artist/writers.

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
Echo Is Gone
The reason why I plan to use body language, is because, well the readers nor I are supposed to know their language. If I put bubble texts on its back story, I would most likely put some symbols or whatever there.
The thing is, their actions should be understood.

About the key, it will like... encounter a random ruin o something like that, and find a carved stone with a pattern, it will try to touch it, and notice it is like... a switch... and (something happens here), it materializes the key. *This part is more likely subject to change.

The problem with Augie(you got it a nick already, lulz), is that he can make shapes but it can't make itself solid. I think... I want it to die at the end. Tragic hero! So, his problem won't be solved.
The reason being, that shape shifters have two ways to die, one is to never materialize, so in a certain span of time, they will like smoke, dissipate. The other way is materializing in something that is mortal, let's say an animal, if the shape shifter stays too long in one shape, it loses its self-being (like, forgetting it is a shape shifter), thus stays being an animal, until it dies like animal do.

Another note: I refer it as it, because, well it doesn't have a gender, so I am not sure how to address it.

Blushing is part of body language; and, as I said, different colors do mean different things to different people, so it could be just as delightfully confusing to everyone as staying the same color if Augie (yes; Augustine was just so formal to use multiple times in a paragraph...) turned seemingly random colors in reaction to things. If s/he stuck around long enough, the other characters would eventually get acclimated to the "language" like reading someone's face or picking up phrases while staying in a foreign country.

What do you mean by the end? When they unlock...whatever, or when they reach the end of that implied quest, or in some kind of afterward...? I think you said in your first character comment that you didn't want to do any of the story of him/her getting to that key pillar--have you changed your mind? Because it could be not much of a heroic sacrifice; we need to get attached, and allow the characters to, for Augie's passing to be more than a bit of smog clearing up.

I understand, but gendered pronouns are so much easier to work with...may I please call it "him" (in comments, not the comic) for simplicity's sake, or would it really throw off your cloud characterization?

Cuddly Browser

oddlyalli

I meant that I plan to make Augie's death at the end of the quest, or slightly before the end, or maybe in the climax of the adventure.

Yes, i also think like blushing and such will help, however when all meet up at "the dimension",
well, Augie can speak English or whichever language is common for all the characters.

But, I wanted to make its expressions a bit more rich by adding body language. That's all.

I think I was misunderstood on the first post about Augie, I mean that in the individual chapters, where we are supposed to tell a bit of our characters motives, qualities, story, etc. I just want to make it short by showing how he went to the world, and what is his main problem, while keeping other plots details that might reveal, well... something I will write apart to PM you guys, since I think this topic is public? D:

Oh, yes, you can call him er... he or she or he/she, doesn't matter ATM.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff