Welcome to Gaia! ::

High-functioning Punching Bag

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
QueenTroll38

Oy, come back! I don't want to be alone here! (Your ideas sounded promising, and this won't happen without at least one other person than me and Princling.)

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
Princling
oddlyalli
Alright; yay! Then let's pretend that the weekend I was referring to was this now upcoming weekend, and allow me to say I'm possibly going to be out of town for it. (I did have legitimate excuses for the last two weekends, but it's still ridiculous that my free time seems to be self-cannibalizing.)

What kind of main world were you picturing for the comic? The parts-of-a-key to open something fantastic sounds like straight up fantasy (like LotR or D&D), but if you're picturing something more urban fantasy, or sci-fi (which includes everything from thatgamecompany's Journey to Firefly), those would also come with interesting slants to the quest.

Is there some way we could weave in the different art styles being exactly what they look like? Like if it is somehow or partially in the characters' heads, so we're seeing the way each of them sees the world? In which case, I vote my key fragment becomes a crazy person. Because that would be a hoot to illustrate.

Just thoughts.

PS: Your having quoted me didn't show up immediately, so sorry if it happens again; I'll try to check this thread whenever I'm on Gaia, but no guarantees that'll be more than once a week.

I was thinking the keys idea if we got a bunch of people, but looks like it just might be you and me ^.^;

But that's cool, and it opens up a ton of different possibilities! biggrin

We could do liiike... if your character was a teenager with military training (part of an elite program or something), but escapes, and my character is a special agent type trying to track them down? Or, my character is a soldier part of a barracks trying to militarize a post-apocalyptic city, and you character is a freedom fighter sort who lives in the city ruins and hates the military? Stuff like that. Just toss out ideas, I'm pretty open to whatever biggrin As you can see, I'm a fan of characterizing the men'in'uniforms wink

I'm a huuuge fan of urban fantasy, and steampunk stuff.

Let me know what you like? smile

Sorry, if it really is just you and me, I'm not gonna do it. I wanted to be some support, not half of a team, so keep recruiting (it sounds like a long-term project; don't worry about it taking a little longer to set up).

The way I tell stories does not work well with this sort of project UNLESS I'm just doing those relatively calm interludes that I talked about in my first post, following something specific that isn't human. Take my word for it; I've done character-based round robin before, and it crashed and burned. I can have a character or two who show up repeatedly and coincidentally, if you and the team approve of it, but they will not be the camera's focus.

I love the military (as people and protectors--so, if you make them a faceless evil, I'll use my pages to remind readers they're just a bunch of humans), and since the point of this for me would mostly be art practice, any setting you want is good with me. I'm not all that great with architecture, therefore urban fantasy or steampunk would be a challenge, with steampunk at least allowing me to use my imagination...My only real limits are that it be rated E - T (ie: the clothing stays on).

Friendly Werewolf

5,850 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Profitable 100
Hi guys ^-^ ill make up a character if you would like. I was asked to join. As soon as I can access a computer again I can show you different pieces of my work but if your more curious I have a couple pictures on my profile. Only if you don't wanna wait though ^^;

Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
oddlyalli
QueenTroll38

Oy, come back! I don't want to be alone here! (Your ideas sounded promising, and this won't happen without at least one other person than me and Princling.)

I'm back!

Distinct Gawker

3,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
we should def put this project on a free hosting site and see how many hits we have. so could anyone give me an overall plan of what we should do and what we should contribute?

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
Kasumi_Pandahs
Hi guys ^-^ ill make up a character if you would like. I was asked to join. As soon as I can access a computer again I can show you different pieces of my work but if your more curious I have a couple pictures on my profile. Only if you don't wanna wait though ^^;

Thanks for checking it out! You should know, I'm not the one in charge (provided Princling comes back), so he will have to say you're in for it to be official, but you (and your desire for something to illustrate) looked like a good fit for this project...whatever it becomes.

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
QueenTroll38
I'm back!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Yay! Thank you!

I think it should be for the character creators to decide what exactly the plot is; I'm here to boost things along and make suggestions, but my panels will probably just be playing with the background of what you all create.

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
Princling

Hey, look, friend! You have interest!

Friendly Werewolf

5,850 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Profitable 100
oddlyalli
Kasumi_Pandahs

Thanks for checking it out! You should know, I'm not the one in charge (provided Princling comes back), so he will have to say you're in for it to be official, but you (and your desire for something to illustrate) looked like a good fit for this project...whatever it becomes.

Okay ^-^ and no problem hopefully he comes back ^^;

Cuddly Browser

redface

Sounds interesting enough, but you would have to check if everyone's styles are like in sync?
Anyways, planning to follow the thread meanwhile...

Keep up the good work!

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
Echo Is Gone
redface

Sounds interesting enough, but you would have to check if everyone's styles are like in sync?

Keep up the good work!

What are your thoughts on how synchronized the art would have to be? I mean, the most basic is everyone making their layout read left to right, top to bottom (required, I say); do you think it would be too jarring to switch from flat colors to black and white shading to realistic? Or is there some other stylistic faux pas you're worried about?

Cuddly Browser

oddlyalli
Echo Is Gone
redface

Keep up the good work!

What are your thoughts on how synchronized the art would have to be? I mean, the most basic is everyone making their layout read left to right, top to bottom (required, I say); do you think it would be too jarring to switch from flat colors to black and white shading to realistic? Or is there some other stylistic faux pas you're worried about?

Maybe... actually I'm not so sure redface
I mean, suppose all the main characters appear in a panel, would one person draw it, or each artist would draw theirs. Now, if one person draws it, maybe this person's style might affect the characterization of the other's characters. If each artist did their own character, then they would have to agree whether white&black, color, shading or flat, etc...

I dont know if you get my point sad

P.S. Btw, I'm also interested to join you guys XD

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
Echo Is Gone
oddlyalli

Maybe... actually I'm not so sure redface
I mean, suppose all the main characters appear in a panel, would one person draw it, or each artist would draw theirs. Now, if one person draws it, maybe this person's style might affect the characterization of the other's characters. If each artist did their own character, then they would have to agree whether white&black, color, shading or flat, etc...

I dont know if you get my point sad

P.S. Btw, I'm also interested to join you guys XD

I think for it to be its prettiest and smoothest as a project, we should agree on the level of shading and color--unless we worked in a reason we readers are seeing things very differently for each view point.

But I think the point of asking for art samples to vet an artist is to be sure that they can communicate with their drawn characters and backgrounds. For everything that had multiple artists' characters, we'd have to all write and approve of the script word-for-word, versus a quick run-down of, "So, this guy'll do this, this guy'll react violently, the dog will tell them to both calm down, and the spy albatross will fly on into the third sun--that's your solar puffin's campsite, right? 'Cause it's your turn next," before actually drawing the draft and only editing if someone points out a fallacy in the words, placement of swords, or something.

We should each be able to draw our fellow writers' characters well enough to be recognized and understood; that's one reason I require the entire comic remain non-sexy (if I'm to stay a part of it). It would be way too complicated to try to match perspectives and techniques to collaborate on every panel once the characters meet.

I think I got your point; if not, then try rephrasing, please.

P.S.: Just post a link to a gallery or specific art samples and if Princling comes back, he can approve you, and we/you character creators can start quoting back and forth like mad to iron out what the setting and plot are.

Cuddly Browser

oddlyalli

Sounds plausible enough.
Oh, I don't work so well in writing.
And English's not my first language :/
In the end, it might become a really time consuming project, since it will require all the authors approvals before finishing a page smile
Nevertheless, sounds real fun.
When I was in middle school, my friends and I tried to make a story/comic that had to include all of our ideas, and well, it didn't materialize thanks to clashing ideas sweatdrop

I think... my DA doesn't has enough examples of how I draw erm... a certain subject. So here's my Photobucket of freebies. XD

10,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Survivor 150
Echo Is Gone
oddlyalli

Sounds plausible enough.
Oh, I don't work so well in writing.
And English's not my first language :/
In the end, it might become a really time consuming project, since it will require all the authors approvals before finishing a page smile
Nevertheless, sounds real fun.
When I was in middle school, my friends and I tried to make a story/comic that had to include all of our ideas, and well, it didn't materialize thanks to clashing ideas sweatdrop

I think... my DA doesn't has enough examples of how I draw erm... a certain subject. So here's my Photobucket of freebies. XD

Tu estas escribiendo con habilidad, en ese caso--mejor de lo que estoy haciendo, eso está claro. Y esta tentativa está despues cuatro años de estudiar y con la asistencia de un diccionario. I am such a fulfillment of American stereotypes. But I love writing in English, so if you join the project I'll gladly make sure your grammar is correct (when it should be--I'd leave written accents and colloquialisms if you told me they were wanted).

Yeah, this does definitely sound like a long-range project. I think the key is making sure we know exactly where we want our plot to go before we start, that way everyone can be working almost at the same time. I also think it would work best with a set ending point, relatively soon after the characters meet, so that we know the end is nigh and don't give up when everything bogs down with the extra cross-checking. This could be amazing, but the participants would have to care and take the time in-process to make this a story worth telling. (I have also started round-robin {collaborative, in turns} stories before, but as soon as they became about making cool characters instead of about the story/adventure, the projects died. I'd like that to not happen here.)

Your dA account has better drawings than mine, so I wouldn't expect art to be a problem; your Photobucket link was to a private album, so I still don't know what certain subject you're referring to.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff