Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey, everybody. I'm helping my best friend with his webcomic. If you could check it out and give us some feedback, that would be much appreciated!

http://www.duncancomic.com

Anxious Browser

xeonman87

I absolutely adored this one. I do hope he develops his art style though, with all due respect.
The art style leaves a lot to be desired.
Upon viewing it, I as a reader, could only relate it to a child's scrawling. This is not meant to be as an offense, I only give you my complete and honest critique.

I was not able to determine the demographic your friend was aiming for. The artistic style points towards "children 3 years old and under," however, the writing seemed to be pointing at preteen comedy.
Determine who your demographic is. Who wants to read this comic? Why do they want to read it? What is it that makes it interesting to them? What can I do to make it more interesting? Study your demographic, and supply them with what they want to see.

After you've accomplished who you are writing this for, work on variance in the art style. I can see ( or only hope ) that you are going for a simplified art style. Simplified art styles are characterized by streamlined lines (lines that connect with no sketchy tapers at the ends), bold, equal width lines, base colors with no heavy shading/highlights, and iconic characters.
All I saw was blue dino, red dino, penguin, etc. Give your characters some variance or iconic appeal. If your characters' designs are purposely similar, but are only different in color, give them personality that attributes to each. Consider The Hulk and The Red Hulk for example, two very similar designs, two completely different characters. Also keep in mind that color elicits a subconscious mood in people. Red tends to lean towards feelings of rage, anger, or even sometimes passion. While blue tends to lean towards feelings of coolness, calm, or even intellect. (This is known as the Red Oni, Blue Oni trope.) Make sure to keep this in mind when you are designing characters.

Take a look at some other simple style comics, take notes on what they're doing. What is the writing style like? How do the characters move? Can I differentiate this character from other characters if I was looking only at their silhouette? Apply these to your comic.

I hope this has been helpful
Gentleman Chippo
xeonman87

I absolutely adored this one. I do hope he develops his art style though, with all due respect.

Yes, the Apple one was great. We are actually working on the art.
HanoMayonaka
The art style leaves a lot to be desired.
Upon viewing it, I as a reader, could only relate it to a child's scrawling. This is not meant to be as an offense, I only give you my complete and honest critique.

I was not able to determine the demographic your friend was aiming for. The artistic style points towards "children 3 years old and under," however, the writing seemed to be pointing at preteen comedy.
Determine who your demographic is. Who wants to read this comic? Why do they want to read it? What is it that makes it interesting to them? What can I do to make it more interesting? Study your demographic, and supply them with what they want to see.

After you've accomplished who you are writing this for, work on variance in the art style. I can see ( or only hope ) that you are going for a simplified art style. Simplified art styles are characterized by streamlined lines (lines that connect with no sketchy tapers at the ends), bold, equal width lines, base colors with no heavy shading/highlights, and iconic characters.
All I saw was blue dino, red dino, penguin, etc. Give your characters some variance or iconic appeal. If your characters' designs are purposely similar, but are only different in color, give them personality that attributes to each. Consider The Hulk and The Red Hulk for example, two very similar designs, two completely different characters. Also keep in mind that color elicits a subconscious mood in people. Red tends to lean towards feelings of rage, anger, or even sometimes passion. While blue tends to lean towards feelings of coolness, calm, or even intellect. (This is known as the Red Oni, Blue Oni trope.) Make sure to keep this in mind when you are designing characters.

Take a look at some other simple style comics, take notes on what they're doing. What is the writing style like? How do the characters move? Can I differentiate this character from other characters if I was looking only at their silhouette? Apply these to your comic.

I hope this has been helpful

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. He does realize that the art style of the webcomic will have to evolve. If you have any other suggestions, you can email him at stevedigiorgio@duncancomic.com

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff