Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Ladykiller

Clover_IceQueen
Krazehcakes
umm you have to understand that alot of publishers cater to certain niches... Dark horse comics aren't usually the actiony-comedic types. The few they did have they discontinued em pretty quickly. So i'd deffinitely do some research on what publishers already have rather than sending em a left wing comic.

If you're deadset on a certain publisher though i'd suggest sending them a story they would look for and then after they publish you, pitch something new.

Do you have any suggestions for a publisher?

I would say maybe Oni Press maybe?
Or possibly IMAGE comics tho they have certain requirements.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Krazehcakes
Clover_IceQueen
Krazehcakes
umm you have to understand that alot of publishers cater to certain niches... Dark horse comics aren't usually the actiony-comedic types. The few they did have they discontinued em pretty quickly. So i'd deffinitely do some research on what publishers already have rather than sending em a left wing comic.

If you're deadset on a certain publisher though i'd suggest sending them a story they would look for and then after they publish you, pitch something new.

We sent it in to Oni Press, but we haven't heard back yet.

Dapper Ladykiller

Clover_IceQueen
Krazehcakes
Clover_IceQueen
Krazehcakes

I wouldnt be surprised. they're pretty snobbish after Scott Pilgrim did so well.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Krazehcakes
Clover_IceQueen
Krazehcakes
Clover_IceQueen
Krazehcakes

I wouldnt be surprised. they're pretty snobbish after Scott Pilgrim did so well.

Don't mention that. Sean will get very angry lol He is our arch-rival.
Clover_IceQueen
Krazehcakes
Clover_IceQueen
Krazehcakes
Clover_IceQueen

Oni Press isn't "snobbish." Oni Press is an incredibly busy publisher with an incredibly full schedule that states clearly on its website:

Oni Press Contact Page

Oni Press no longer accepts unsolicited submissions. Any submissions received will be destroyed without being opened.

Don't get pissed at Oni because you can't be bothered to take a hint. A lot of publishers no longer keep slush piles. You should probably find out if the ones you're gunning for will or won't insta-shred your submission before shotgunning them out willy-nilly.

As for Bryan Lee O'Malley, you'd probably be better off picking a "rival" that's aware of your existence. I understand (or at least, hope) you're attempting a joke, but it's more pitiful than funny. Bagging on a dude just for being successful isn't classy.
Clover_IceQueen
wraightsky
You have to remember that there are a TON of other people also trying to get their comics out into the world, and because the comics industry has suffered lately, any publishers are going to be insanely picky about what they choose. I have friends who draw the most beautiful comic pages I've ever seen, but still aren't being picked up. Even one flaw or wrong aesthetic choice could knock you out of the running. Even if a publisher gets thousands of entries, they're still only going to pick a handfew of those to print. It's really bad odds for anyone.

I took a look at your comic... it's not bad... I admit that I thought it would be, but it's really decent. The only thing that catches my eye right away is that the panels seem unnecessarily huge. A lot of your pages only leave room for one or two panels at most. It makes a great webcomic... but... I'm not so sure how that would translate into a larger printed format. But, that's just my opinion, and I'm not a publisher.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your comic... it looks like it has a lot of potential!

The panels are big because a publisher reccomended more dynamic panels, poses, and facial expressions. Sean does all that drawing stuff. I just help with writing the script and inking. I shoot him a few ideas here and there, though.

Hmmm... well, it's great that you're getting feedback from the publishers! But, making the panels larger isn't going to help make the page more dynamic or expressive. Just a suggestion, but your artist should head to a comic book shop this weekend and take a look at what's being published now. The newly released comics are all the same size... take a look through them... a lot of them will have all those elements that the publisher recommended, but the pages will be more interesting to look at because they will probably have more complexity. It wouldn't hurt to study the market and see what kinds of things are being published by places like Image Comics... by all means, I'm not saying to abandon your style. On the contrary, I like your guys' comic style quite a bit... I just think it wouldn't hurt to study your competition.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
IronSpike
Clover_IceQueen
Krazehcakes
Clover_IceQueen
Krazehcakes

Oni Press isn't "snobbish." Oni Press is an incredibly busy publisher with an incredibly full schedule that states clearly on its website:

Oni Press Contact Page

Oni Press no longer accepts unsolicited submissions. Any submissions received will be destroyed without being opened.

Don't get pissed at Oni because you can't be bothered to take a hint. A lot of publishers no longer keep slush piles. You should probably find out if the ones you're gunning for will or won't insta-shred your submission before shotgunning them out willy-nilly.

As for Bryan Lee O'Malley, you'd probably be better off picking a "rival" that's aware of your existence. I understand (or at least, hope) you're attempting a joke, but it's more pitiful than funny. Bagging on a dude just for being successful isn't classy.

No one said I was pissed, and he is well aware of our existence. I wasn't the one who called Oni Press "snobbish" so you should quote the person who did and lecture him or her about it.
Truthfully, I'd like to try a different publisher, but Sean is in charge of who we send our comic to since it was his story idea. I started working with him after he began selling locally.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
wraightsky
Clover_IceQueen
wraightsky
You have to remember that there are a TON of other people also trying to get their comics out into the world, and because the comics industry has suffered lately, any publishers are going to be insanely picky about what they choose. I have friends who draw the most beautiful comic pages I've ever seen, but still aren't being picked up. Even one flaw or wrong aesthetic choice could knock you out of the running. Even if a publisher gets thousands of entries, they're still only going to pick a handfew of those to print. It's really bad odds for anyone.

I took a look at your comic... it's not bad... I admit that I thought it would be, but it's really decent. The only thing that catches my eye right away is that the panels seem unnecessarily huge. A lot of your pages only leave room for one or two panels at most. It makes a great webcomic... but... I'm not so sure how that would translate into a larger printed format. But, that's just my opinion, and I'm not a publisher.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your comic... it looks like it has a lot of potential!

The panels are big because a publisher reccomended more dynamic panels, poses, and facial expressions. Sean does all that drawing stuff. I just help with writing the script and inking. I shoot him a few ideas here and there, though.

Hmmm... well, it's great that you're getting feedback from the publishers! But, making the panels larger isn't going to help make the page more dynamic or expressive. Just a suggestion, but your artist should head to a comic book shop this weekend and take a look at what's being published now. The newly released comics are all the same size... take a look through them... a lot of them will have all those elements that the publisher recommended, but the pages will be more interesting to look at because they will probably have more complexity. It wouldn't hurt to study the market and see what kinds of things are being published by places like Image Comics... by all means, I'm not saying to abandon your style. On the contrary, I like your guys' comic style quite a bit... I just think it wouldn't hurt to study your competition.

That's what I'm here for 3nodding I read more comics than he does, so I can give him lots of suggestions for what he can do. In the next issue, we are planning to have a chase scene. We're worried about it, though. It's going to be difficult to keep it engaging sweatdrop
Clover_IceQueen
wraightsky
Clover_IceQueen
wraightsky

That's what I'm here for 3nodding I read more comics than he does, so I can give him lots of suggestions for what he can do. In the next issue, we are planning to have a chase scene. We're worried about it, though. It's going to be difficult to keep it engaging sweatdrop

Oh, a chase scene does sound like a really intimidating challenge, but I know you guys can do it! Don't forget to use your environment to make it more interesting... like... say Character A is chasing Character B down the street... Character B can push people aside, throw objects in the way of Character A, or even almost get hit by a car... I've always had a personal fondness for comics that use the environment instead of just throwing up random useless backgrounds. xd
Clover_IceQueen
[
No one said I was pissed, and he is well aware of our existence. I wasn't the one who called Oni Press "snobbish" so you should quote the person who did and lecture him or her about it.

And you didn't disagree with them, either. And call me skeptical about Bryan, unless you consider an @ on Twitter or slipping him a freebie at a con "aware of your existence."

Quote:
Truthfully, I'd like to try a different publisher, but Sean is in charge of who we send our comic to since it was his story idea. I started working with him after he began selling locally.

Then it's probably a good idea to advise Sean to actually read the contact information of publishers before he attempts to submit unsolicited proposals.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
wraightsky
Clover_IceQueen
wraightsky
Clover_IceQueen
wraightsky

Oh, a chase scene does sound like a really intimidating challenge, but I know you guys can do it! Don't forget to use your environment to make it more interesting... like... say Character A is chasing Character B down the street... Character B can push people aside, throw objects in the way of Character A, or even almost get hit by a car... I've always had a personal fondness for comics that use the environment instead of just throwing up random useless backgrounds. xd

Those are good suggestions! Since the chase scene leads into a mall, there are tons of things we can use in there! Thank you for the feedback mrgreen

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
IronSpike
Clover_IceQueen
[

And you didn't disagree with them, either. And call me skeptical about Bryan, unless you consider an @ on Twitter or slipping him a freebie at a con "aware of your existence."

Quote:

Then it's probably a good idea to advise Sean to actually read the contact information of publishers before he attempts to submit unsolicited proposals.

I don't use twitter lol
Yeah, Sean can be pretty flaky. It's hard for me to keep an eye on who he sends the comic to and when since he does most of that on his own, but I'm going to try to get more involved in that this summer when I will have graduated!!!!!!!! whee
Okay I will first off saying comic's are turned down left and right in today's media due to the fact that comic's can be read online and there is no need to get out of your house if a comic is a click away that is what most matter's.

The idea of getting it published is a great idea I have been doing that too until I got mine copyrighted then the laziness kicked in....But keep looking don't look at the most well know'n publisher's sometimes you have to look for the most underground publisher's to get it done.

If I have been put it down for my art it is thin.
I love the the fact you keep on searching and searching over and over again about this epadema. But look for someone underground and they could maybe provide the key you need to success.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
poison dynasty
Okay I will first off saying comic's are turned down left and right in today's media due to the fact that comic's can be read online and there is no need to get out of your house if a comic is a click away that is what most matter's.

How does this make sense? I'm trying to understand your logic, but I can't wrap my head around it.

Comics are being turned down by publishers(who are in it to make money) because comics can be read online(for free). How...does this make sense? These two 'markets' don't often intersect.

The comics online don't have the benefit of an editor, quality control, or marketing. That is a service a publisher provides. As a result many online comics are hard to find and/or lacking in quality. While it's not a hard and fast 'you get what you pay for', since there are a lot of amazing webcomics out there, there is still a reason publishers exist.

The only way I can make sense of this statement is that publishers need to up their game BECAUSE there's a lot of amazing comics available for free. But that's not particularly true either, since webcomics usually cater to a niche.

Dapper Ladykiller

IronSpike
Clover_IceQueen
[

No they're pretty snobbish. Before Scott Pilgrim became a huge hit they were very open to mostly any comics sent their way and gave it a decent gander or two. My classmate (who's now working professionally for IMAGE's Skull Kickers) is a fantastic artist, far better than Bryan and 90% of the titles that Oni published but when he had his review they basically told him they wouldn't publish his work or hook him up with anything unless he drew a 16 page comic of THEIR story without any pay or compensation as a test.

The point of that is ridiculous when he brought his entire portfolio, a completed mini comic of his solid storytelling skills in his art and they turned their noses unless they made him draw for free.
And portfolio reviews a valid hook up but they're pretty much waiting for another comic bryan will cra out before even trying a new and more talented artist.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff