Welcome to Gaia! ::

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
My artist and I have been trying to get published for a long time, but our comic keeps getting turned down wherever we send it because it's a comedy sweatdrop We printed our own copies and convinced the local comic book store to carry and sell them, but it would still be nice to be published and sold around the country. Does anyone know any comic book publishers that take action-comedies?

Website: http://extralifeentertainment.com/The-Freeloader.html
Can you perhaps link to a sample of the comic you've made and say what publishers you've submitted to?

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Amentar
Can you perhaps link to a sample of the comic you've made and say what publishers you've submitted to?

I don't have a link.
Submitted to Archie, Darkhorse, Archaia, and a few others that I can't recall at the moment.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
It would be really helpful if we could see the comic, at least a few pages of it.
Publishers can be pretty picky about their content, and if we could see a few pages of your work, we might be able to assess why.
Clover_IceQueen
My artist and I have been trying to get published for a long time, but our comic keeps getting turned down wherever we send it because it's a comedy sweatdrop We printed our own copies and convinced the local comic book store to carry and sell them, but it would still be nice to be published and sold around the country. Does anyone know any comic book publishers that take action-comedies?

I'm curious as to the process you guys went through when trying to get published. When I considered sending my stuff in, your list of publishers were my picks, too. Did they call you when they saw your stuff? How long did that take? Did they not tell you why?

And I agree with the others. We'd definitely like to see the comic. They're right that publishers can be picky, and they take into account how the market is doing, cuz they're in it for their company to make lots of money off of stories, not just a little. It's intimidating for sure. sad
I've got a couple guesses as to why they rejected but I'm not going to say anything without more information else I'm just sounding crotchity and cynical.

Plus you know what they say when you make an assumption.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Little Wachan
Clover_IceQueen

I'm curious as to the process you guys went through when trying to get published. When I considered sending my stuff in, your list of publishers were my picks, too. Did they call you when they saw your stuff? How long did that take? Did they not tell you why?

And I agree with the others. We'd definitely like to see the comic. They're right that publishers can be picky, and they take into account how the market is doing, cuz they're in it for their company to make lots of money off of stories, not just a little. It's intimidating for sure. sad

Well, I have to ask Sean what the website is because I always forget sweatdrop
Little Wachan
Clover_IceQueen

Well, I have to ask Sean what the website is because I always forget sweatdrop

That'd be awesome!
I agree with what Kupocake said, publishers want what they want. I don't think it has anything to do with them not wanting comedy though, I have never heard of a company turning someone down becuase of a genre choice, (although I could be wrong) it's usually becuase of skill level, and 'style' choice. Pretty much, If they think your work can sell then they will hire you.

Fashionable Ladykiller

11,550 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
Holding off judgement until you have something to show us but I have to say that things like not remembering the URL for your work smacks of unprofessionalism.

If you come off the same way to publishers as you do in this thread it's not really a mystery as to why they aren't accepting your work.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Catanaition N. D.
Holding off judgement until you have something to show us but I have to say that things like not remembering the URL for your work smacks of unprofessionalism.

If you come off the same way to publishers as you do in this thread it's not really a mystery as to why they aren't accepting your work.

I don't go to the publishers. He does. My aspergers syndrome makes me screw up things a lot, so I try not to get in the way. That's also why I forget the URL.
You have to remember that there are a TON of other people also trying to get their comics out into the world, and because the comics industry has suffered lately, any publishers are going to be insanely picky about what they choose. I have friends who draw the most beautiful comic pages I've ever seen, but still aren't being picked up. Even one flaw or wrong aesthetic choice could knock you out of the running. Even if a publisher gets thousands of entries, they're still only going to pick a handfew of those to print. It's really bad odds for anyone.

I took a look at your comic... it's not bad... I admit that I thought it would be, but it's really decent. The only thing that catches my eye right away is that the panels seem unnecessarily huge. A lot of your pages only leave room for one or two panels at most. It makes a great webcomic... but... I'm not so sure how that would translate into a larger printed format. But, that's just my opinion, and I'm not a publisher.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your comic... it looks like it has a lot of potential!

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
wraightsky
You have to remember that there are a TON of other people also trying to get their comics out into the world, and because the comics industry has suffered lately, any publishers are going to be insanely picky about what they choose. I have friends who draw the most beautiful comic pages I've ever seen, but still aren't being picked up. Even one flaw or wrong aesthetic choice could knock you out of the running. Even if a publisher gets thousands of entries, they're still only going to pick a handfew of those to print. It's really bad odds for anyone.

I took a look at your comic... it's not bad... I admit that I thought it would be, but it's really decent. The only thing that catches my eye right away is that the panels seem unnecessarily huge. A lot of your pages only leave room for one or two panels at most. It makes a great webcomic... but... I'm not so sure how that would translate into a larger printed format. But, that's just my opinion, and I'm not a publisher.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your comic... it looks like it has a lot of potential!

The panels are big because a publisher reccomended more dynamic panels, poses, and facial expressions. Sean does all that drawing stuff. I just help with writing the script and inking. I shoot him a few ideas here and there, though.

Dapper Ladykiller

umm you have to understand that alot of publishers cater to certain niches... Dark horse comics aren't usually the actiony-comedic types. The few they did have they discontinued em pretty quickly. So i'd deffinitely do some research on what publishers already have rather than sending em a left wing comic.

If you're deadset on a certain publisher though i'd suggest sending them a story they would look for and then after they publish you, pitch something new.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Krazehcakes
umm you have to understand that alot of publishers cater to certain niches... Dark horse comics aren't usually the actiony-comedic types. The few they did have they discontinued em pretty quickly. So i'd deffinitely do some research on what publishers already have rather than sending em a left wing comic.

If you're deadset on a certain publisher though i'd suggest sending them a story they would look for and then after they publish you, pitch something new.

Do you have any suggestions for a publisher?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff