Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Timid 100
so how do i explain this? well, for a final art project, i have decided to do a short manga based on the german poem, 'heidenröslein' or in english, 'heather rose', but taking place in a moden day japanese culture between two high school student lovers. i'm wondering how i should plan this out though and looking for opinions from the art community on here . u .
it's quite important as this goes towards my final grade and has to be due in july/august of this year, so the earlier the responses, the better vague idea i will have.

also to be honest, the poem might be recognisable by the song 'rosen-rot' from rammstein as it was based upon the poem and the story, 'snow-white and rose red' from the brothers grimm.

link to poem here.

Tipsy Lunatic

I'm.... gonna say what is usually said in the writers forum when a topic like this comes up.
Do your own homework.

Though I suppose that's a bit hasty.
If you didn't already have a few ideas for it then why pick it at all? You seem like you've got a solid idea actually. What do you need help with other than any actual work?

Shy Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Timid 100
The Drunken Jester
I'm.... gonna say what is usually said in the writers forum when a topic like this comes up.
Do your own homework.

If you didn't already have a few ideas for it then why pick it at all? You seem like you've got a solid idea actually. What do you need help with other than any actual work?

to be honest, it's not that hasty at all, aha. i understand that i need to do my own homework on the subject. mainly what i was looking for at the time was an opinion on the idea from a variety of people both in real life and online. probably more than people who have more experience in the area of making comics/manga and writing.
the thing with me is that once i get an idea, i tend to go through a phase of doubt resulting in artist block and massive panic attacks, just to be dramatic. i guess what i'm not sure about is the initial interpretation for instance, i'm planning to base the poem in a contemporary japanese setting with the lead male and female being high school students; this could be seen as cliche due to most manga/doujins using that setting, and character design.

any ways, thank you for the opinion. i have decided to spend the day doing more research and planning heart

Tipsy Lunatic

arrekusu-chan
The Drunken Jester
Do your own homework.

to be honest, it's not that hasty at all, aha. i understand that i need to do my own homework on the subject. mainly what i was looking for at the time was an opinion on the idea from a variety of people both in real life and online. probably more than people who have more experience in the area of making comics/manga and writing.
the thing with me is that once i get an idea, i tend to go through a phase of doubt resulting in artist block and massive panic attacks, just to be dramatic. i guess what i'm not sure about is the initial interpretation for instance, i'm planning to base the poem in a contemporary japanese setting with the lead male and female being high school students; this could be seen as cliche due to most manga/doujins using that setting, and character design.

any ways, thank you for the opinion. i have decided to spend the day doing more research and planning heart

My bit of actual advice would be to NOT set it in a Japanese highschool unless you've got any actual experience with the japanese school system. Put it in a setting you're familiar with. People will notice and it will detract from the overall piece if you try to fake it.

Shy Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Timid 100
The Drunken Jester
arrekusu-chan
The Drunken Jester
Do your own homework.

My bit of actual advice would be to NOT set it in a Japanese highschool unless you've got any actual experience with the japanese school system. Put it in a setting you're familiar with. People will notice and it will detract from the overall piece if you try to fake it.

so for the setting, work on what i know? hm, that seems doable as the japanese school system is similar to the australian one in a sense. then again, with that in mind, the entire idea seems more doable and not as stressful as it was before. in other words, i will base the setting amongst a westernised, but still-wearing-uniform school environment as that it what the school system is like where i live. thank you once again heart
I think it'd be interesting to have it in a German school setting myself XD Just to link it to the actual original poem... Although like the other poster said, keep it to what you're familiar with n_n Maybe a German foreign exchange student who fancies a girl but is uncertain on how to approach her due to his lack of certainty on how to communicate; which could be the sting of the roses thorn if he messes up ...

I have no idea I'm just rambling here >_< I have no idea what the poem means, but it could be interpreted however you want, and once you figure that out a story will come easily n_n

Shy Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Timid 100
Romiiru
I think it'd be interesting to have it in a German school setting myself XD Just to link it to the actual original poem... Although like the other poster said, keep it to what you're familiar with n_n Maybe a German foreign exchange student who fancies a girl but is uncertain on how to approach her due to his lack of certainty on how to communicate; which could be the sting of the roses thorn if he messes up ...

I have no idea I'm just rambling here >_< I have no idea what the poem means, but it could be interpreted however you want, and once you figure that out a story will come easily n_n

hm, makes sense from that perspective. i was thinking of basing it off how the love of the male protagonists life got injured causing her to lose her left eye and one day she notices a rose on top of a mountain in a rural area. then he goes and searches to retrieve it for her as he wants her to know that he loves her, and finds her beautiful no matter if she lost one of her eyes or not, and that she has to hide the injury with bandages for the rest of her life heart

when i looked at it from the song 'rosen-rot' by rammstein, it's about a girl wanting the rose and the guy searching for it as what she wants, is what she gets. similar meanings between the two, i suppose from that perspective. however, i am appreciating the feedback and inspiration 3nodding
arrekusu-chan
Romiiru

hm, makes sense from that perspective. i was thinking of basing it off how the love of the male protagonists life got injured causing her to lose her left eye and one day she notices a rose on top of a mountain in a rural area. then he goes and searches to retrieve it for her as he wants her to know that he loves her, and finds her beautiful no matter if she lost one of her eyes or not, and that she has to hide the injury with bandages for the rest of her life heart

when i looked at it from the song 'rosen-rot' by rammstein, it's about a girl wanting the rose and the guy searching for it as what she wants, is what she gets. similar meanings between the two, i suppose from that perspective. however, i am appreciating the feedback and inspiration 3nodding

Awwww thats so sweet cx I love that idea! Ill have to listen to the song cx And of course! I love giving feedback and helping in any way I can 3nodding

Shy Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Timid 100
Romiiru
arrekusu-chan
Romiiru

Awwww thats so sweet cx I love that idea! Ill have to listen to the song cx And of course! I love giving feedback and helping in any way I can 3nodding

i guess the concept is kind of one based off how my irl boyfriend and i got together because i used to go through a lot of misery leading me to self-harm, but he still loved me regardless of my emotional issues.
any ways, the song is in german, but it's a good song: [link to song here] and this link has both the german, and english lyrics for help incase you can't speak/understand german ; w ;
arrekusu-chan
Romiiru
arrekusu-chan
Romiiru

i guess the concept is kind of one based off how my irl boyfriend and i got together because i used to go through a lot of misery leading me to self-harm, but he still loved me regardless of my emotional issues.
any ways, the song is in german, but it's a good song: [link to song here] and this link has both the german, and english lyrics for help incase you can't speak/understand german ; w ;

Ahhh I like the song n__n I love german songs c: hehe and gave me an idea you could add into your story perhaps?
Maybe have it in a time period where times are difficult and everyone is struggling and all hope that anything beautiful remains is just a foolish dream, but since his love wants it he'll do anything to find it D: thus it being on a treacherous mountain no one has ventured onto before D: <! Muahahaha...ha XD;

Shy Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Timid 100
Romiiru
arrekusu-chan
Romiiru
arrekusu-chan
Romiiru

Ahhh I like the song n__n I love german songs c: hehe and gave me an idea you could add into your story perhaps?
Maybe have it in a time period where times are difficult and everyone is struggling and all hope that anything beautiful remains is just a foolish dream, but since his love wants it he'll do anything to find it D: thus it being on a treacherous mountain no one has ventured onto before D: <! Muahahaha...ha XD;

i'm glad you like the song. rammstein is my favourite industrial metal band from germany and yeah, i get the idea however, i was planning on doing it during post-WWII which makes more sense to how the female character got that injury, but also keeping the contemporary theme, and also will make it easier if i was to base it in rural japan/asia (i have been to rural china, in the rice fields and it's beautiful), which in other words could be a reflection of my irl boyfriends culture as he's japanese american whee
any ways, i added you as a friend on here, so how about once i start progress, i show you that progress of the manga/artwork as a thanks for helping me out adjusting this idea? aha.
arrekusu-chan
Romiiru
arrekusu-chan
Romiiru
arrekusu-chan
Romiiru

i'm glad you like the song. rammstein is my favourite industrial metal band from germany and yeah, i get the idea however, i was planning on doing it during post-WWII which makes more sense to how the female character got that injury, but also keeping the contemporary theme, and also will make it easier if i was to base it in rural japan/asia (i have been to rural china, in the rice fields and it's beautiful), which in other words could be a reflection of my irl boyfriends culture as he's japanese american whee
any ways, i added you as a friend on here, so how about once i start progress, i show you that progress of the manga/artwork as a thanks for helping me out adjusting this idea? aha.

Okies! I'm glad you have your idea all sorted out! :3 Ill try to find some other way to help 8D ahaha XD And okay! I'd love to see that :3 Hopefully itll all be finished in time when the final is due :3

Shy Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Timid 100
i stopped quoting because it messed up the layout ; __ ; any ways, of course i will as a sign of thanks and it's due in june/july of this year meaning i have a decent amount of time, i suppose.
arrekusu-chan
i stopped quoting because it messed up the layout ; __ ; any ways, of course i will as a sign of thanks and it's due in june/july of this year meaning i have a decent amount of time, i suppose.

Oh weird D': Its okay I still found the reply XD ahah and thats a good amount of time! I hope it goes well n_n you can do it!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff