Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am a member of a two person online comic author duo, and we've been designing this comic of ours for the past couple of years. Thing is we can't draw ourselves, that's no problem, cause we have a brand new idea. We're going to make a completely 3d comic series. How do we do it? That’s not what this threads about, find out on your own.

This is where you, the artist, come in. We need an artist capable of drawing concept art for our characters. The preferred style is Yoshiyuki Sadamoto style (character designer of .hack and FLCL(Thanks to Ielenia for telling us he did the character designs for both)) but we aren't looking for imitators of his style or anything. Since some one asked us later on about this (and I hope it helps) the general mood of the series is light hearted comedy with its more serious/dramatic moments of course.

What you can get out of this as an artist (As asked by someone else) is more popularity (If we do well, that is), and of course experience.

Before we can accept of course, we will need to see some samples of your work. Post them here or PM them to me if your embarrassed or whatever. I don't see why you would be, but just covering all the bases.

If you have any questions that I didn't answer in the new version of this topic opening (Which there are probably thousands of), please feel free to ask them. Or post anything you want to point out, we really don't mind.
couple of questions...

1) What do I, as an artist and as a person, get out of it?
2) So are you looking for concept artists (which I enjoy and wouldn't mind doing) or comic-ers (which I won't be able to do for you)?
Id like to be picked BUT I CANT DRAW THAT GOOD ... crying crying crying crying
I a huge fan of anime and Im still learning ... crying crying crying crying crying
avichan
D-O
Good questions, which I think can respond to now that wokeup some more atleast.

1) That is the hardest part of this, what do you get out of this. Well first off if your not well known already you can become... well known. We're really looking for newer people in the comic scene to help them get publicity. Plus you if you�re into this, you can get the joy of knowing you might have entertained someone.

2) This part I didn't explain well enough because we really don't want our ideas stoles. (This has happened to us before, in the past 24 hours actually.) We're specifically looking for some to, you said it well, draw concept art. But once again, if you felt like staying with us and continuing to draw random pictures from time to time having to do with the comic, we of course host them.

Bah, I'm new when it comes to working with artists, so I'm sorry if it made little sense and I'm glad to see people showing any interest to this topic.

Thanks for responding ^^ Don't worry, I'm half asleep most of the time anyway...

Now, I wouldn't mind doing some character sketches. art site and DA account.

I also fully understand your caution, and I should actually be a little more careful of my art being stolen... ninja

A ninja, stylish.

Like I said before, I'm only half of this author duo, and the other can't even access this site any more. I can still have him see the art though, so that's no problem.
And this is the part of the job I hate...
You are a good artist, I will say that. However, I don't think that your style is quite right for our comic. Don't take that to mean that your art isn't good; I just have a different image in mind for the series. I hate saying this sense you did help this thread, and hopefully the comic it's self.

At this point someone may be wondering "Well, if she her art didn't have the right look, who's to say mine does?" I can completely understand this feeling since I didn't name a style in particular that we wanted. Oh sure, it'd save me some headache to just say we wanted anime style or some junk, but that's really necessarily what we want. If we said that we might detour some one who had something better then what we had even thought of, and that would be a major loss.

Don't be afraid for me to say we don't want to hire you. It's probably just because we want something a little different, not because you can't draw or some junk.

I apologize for the incoherent babbling.
D-O
A ninja, stylish.

Like I said before, I'm only half of this author duo, and the other can't even access this site any more. I can still have him see the art though, so that's no problem.
And this is the part of the job I hate...
You are a good artist, I will say that. However, I don't think that your style is quite right for our comic. Don't take that to mean that your art isn't good; I just have a different image in mind for the series. I hate saying this sense you did help this thread, and hopefully the comic it's self.

At this point someone may be wondering "Well, if she her art didn't have the right look, who's to say mine does?" I can completely understand this feeling since I didn't name a style in particular that we wanted. Oh sure, it'd save me some headache to just say we wanted anime style or some junk, but that's really necessarily what we want. If we said that we might detour some one who had something better then what we had even thought of, and that would be a major loss.

Don't be afraid for me to say we don't want to hire you. It's probably just because we want something a little different, not because you can't draw or some junk.

I apologize for the incoherent babbling.

Your babbling is quite coherant actually. I understand that my style may not fit with what you have in mind. That's perfectly fine. I'm actually busy enough as it is, it's just that I like practice ^^
To be honest ... stare ... You aint that big of an artist either Avichan ...
Ryu120488

I'll have none of that in this topic, thank you very much.
D-O
Ryu120488

I'll have none of that in this topic, thank you very much.

I'd like to respect your wishes but I must respond, so please excuse me D-O

Who the hell ever said I was? Oh no! Avi-chan has a life and college aps and AP studio assignments and things to make for her art portfolio! Dear god no she can't be busy because she's not some hugely popular artist! stare

Now if you responding to the fact that I'm not the greatest artist in the world, well, DUH. stare
You say you're not stating a specific style, but it really helps to have a general area of definition as to mood or genre at least. As it is, we don't even know what you're looking for. At least knowing the mood of the story would help a lot because many artists change their styles to accomodate projects.
CiiD
You say you're not stating a specific style, but it really helps to have a general area of definition as to mood or genre at least. As it is, we don't even know what you're looking for. At least knowing the mood of the story would help a lot because many artists change their styles to accomodate projects.

Right, thanks for telling me this. As I said earlier we don't have much experience with artists, and don't really know what to say most of the time.

Mood eh? Well I'll attempt to say something that can be used here. It's mostly comedic, but not in an obnoxious sense. It does have it's serious times, and a good ratio between the two is about 70 percent humor/not serious to 30 serious. That doesn't mean that scenes are funny and then break off into overly serious moments that completely clash.

Style wise, were not so good with that. We're looking for a balance between realistic and not so. I'm afraid of using an example because to take it literally and try to look exactly like the series we're suggesting. My coauthor (Who I'm speaking to via the phone) is saying "Each part of the character is rather vague, but when it comes together it's complete."

If any one interested wants examples of what I'm personally thinking of, I'll give some.
.hack
FLCL (When it's normal, that is. Well art style wise at least)

That kind of thing maybe. Thank you CiiD for helping me make this giant monstrosity known as a topic make a little more sense.
Oh, okay. That makes sense mrgreen

Well, you sound really serious about seeing this project through...I know the feeling pretty well. If it's just concept designs, I might be able to help. Need some practice with different characters anyway.

So here are the samples...note that most of these are unfinished, I've been firebombed by the God of Homework but with Christmas vacation in a week that's not a problem right? I assure you that I can use PS and Painter okay.

oldest -> recent
http://img67.exs.cx/img67/2785/nomore-noless.jpg
http://img106.exs.cx/img106/7641/back8.jpg
http://img113.exs.cx/img113/8549/knights.jpg
http://img28.exs.cx/img28/5415/syg.gif
http://img124.exs.cx/img124/4375/radley2.jpg
http://img9.exs.cx/img9/8758/downtime2xf.jpg
From now on whether you post your sample art here or send it directly to me I will send you a PM saying whether you may be accepted or not.

Now remember, I am only half the team, the other person may not like your work or may like it more then I did so please people continue to send us your submissions if you are at all interested.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff