Welcome to Gaia! ::

Alright, well im purchasing some Manga Art supplies from anime nation.

Some items on my list are the Neopiko 12-Color Marker Set, which are very good, and also Neopiko Line Pen 0.05mm, and the 0.1mm.

Now...what the heck is a Deleter Paper? I have an idea..but not really..

http://www.animenation.com/merchandise-manga-art-supplies.html

If someone could help me out here, id very much appreaiciate it...actually im putting together an Xmas list..lol for my mom. She knows i want the manga supplies, but ofcourse, doesnt have an exact idea. She knows i want the markers and the pen, but other than that, she knows nada. heart Please helpo me out here folx.

The basic MUSTS for a beginer manga artist. And yes, dont worry, i actually can draw xD and no..not like...digimon style lamoness
Great...so much help, im bursting with joy
Rule #3 of "manga" art - the idea that specific brand tools and mediums are nessisary to create a comic or manga is false.
^^; Right. There are no needs for Manga, just things that make it look different. If all you had was a tree, you could carve Manga into it. But, there are no musts for Manga.

As for Deleter Paper, I've heard of it as well, but, not sure what difference it makes. (I'm and aspiring Manga artist as well) Actually, I think they have many types of paper... I do believe Deleter is a brand, and it sells many supplies a Manga artist would use. I believe there is a link to the Deleter site from www.howtodrawmanga.com . In fact, that site itself will tell you about supplies you could use for Manga and how to use 'em.
Professionals will tell you to screw buying deleter and sharpen the tips of your own pen-nibs if you plan on doing ink work with a nib. usualy takes some fine sanding to get it down, but it works apparently, saves you time and money as well. And it also makes you look like less of a guillible buyer.
DaftPunk
Professionals will tell you to screw buying deleter and sharpen the tips of your own pen-nibs if you plan on doing ink work with a nib. usualy takes some fine sanding to get it down, but it works apparently, saves you time and money as well. And it also makes you look like less of a guillible buyer.

Oh, thanks! That advice comes in handy to me as well. The stuff looked pretty pricey...
If you want to save yourself money on raw materials you can purchase software. I believe the company is called Deleter's or something like that. They sell this really kewl software to make the manga. Of course, a tablet is needed for the pressure sensitivity stuff. From what I have heard of the program its worth the money.
Sonya DeLaqoure

Deleter is a brand name. The company makes supplies used by manga artists, including paper, software, and tone (dot screens).

"Deleter Paper" would be a type of paper they produce that's been cut to a specific size and pre-printed with blue guidelines to show the areas where manga artists commonly draw (such as one border to show where all critically important parts of the drawing should be contained, and another to show how far you can draw if you want to take the image all the way to the edge of the printed page). The paper is also significantly thicker and more durable than, say, your average copier paper.

It can be convenient to have such pre-cut and ruled paper, but you pay extra for those features. Also, they aren't needed as much if you aren't making manga pages intended to be professionally printed at some point.
Stop Him
Sonya DeLaqoure

Deleter is a brand name. The company makes supplies used by manga artists, including paper, software, and tone (dot screens).

"Deleter Paper" would be a type of paper they produce that's been cut to a specific size and pre-printed with blue guidelines to show the areas where manga artists commonly draw (such as one border to show where all critically important parts of the drawing should be contained, and another to show how far you can draw if you want to take the image all the way to the edge of the printed page). The paper is also significantly thicker and more durable than, say, your average copier paper.

It can be convenient to have such pre-cut and ruled paper, but you pay extra for those features. Also, they aren't needed as much if you aren't making manga pages intended to be professionally printed at some point.

I don't remember if I asked you how'd you like that screen program you showed me at Wizard World, yet. Did you give it a twirl and you feel its worth picking up?
Banzchan
I don't remember if I asked you how'd you like that screen program you showed me at Wizard World, yet. Did you give it a twirl and you feel its worth picking up?

I'm still trying to get a feel for it (ComicWorks), but here's a basic rundown:

It's a layer-based system. You could theoretically use it to make a black and white comics page from start to finish, though you can import drawings you've already made if they're in the right format.

So, you could start with your tablet and create a greyscale "sketch" layer to put down layouts. The layers can have independent resolution, so if your art's primary resolution is normally 600 dpi, you could make your sketch layer 150 dpi.

After you sketch, you can "ink" the drawing by creating another layer. This would be a simple 2-bit B&W layer. It's pretty much like drawing on Photoshop or Open Canvas. I haven't quite mastered the pen tools yet. There's some odd thing going on with the pressure sensitivity on my system, and I may just try some work with fixed widths, anyway, since I normally work with marker-type pens...

Anyway, once you ink your pic you can create a new layer and apply tones. They have a number of different methods you can use to do this, such as creating a new ink layer, blacking in some areas where you want tones to be, and then using the equivalent of a paintbucket to "fill" the areas with a screen. There's also some routines for selecting areas with a mask, and filling that way. You can also slap a whole variety of layers down for different parts (say, line art on one layer, panel borders on another, so on and so forth) and use some layers to trim or otherwise affect other layers.

So far, I haven't run into too much that you couldn't ultimately do with Photoshop or similar programs if you were clever enough. For instance, they have "white layers" and "inverse layers" which you can use for various effects, but these are things you could duplicate in most decent graphics programs. The tone patterns are pretty sweet, but if you had some sort of Photoshop-generated tone, it's the same principle - a bitmap pattern - though I think some of the basic dot tones and gradients may be generated on the spot by some sort of engine. They let you rotate the angle of the dot screen without changing the direction of a gradient tone, for instance...

The speedline tool is something I haven't seen duplicated in some other program. You can set parameters such as density and direction, randomness, etc, and then drag out a box (onto a new layer) that draws the lines automatically. You have to spend some time cutting away the parts of the line box you don't want to appear, but again, that's a task people accustomed to digital art are familiar with.

There's also some interesting looking ruler tools, but I haven't gotten around to fully exploring those yet.

On the whole, most of this program is a collection of tools that anyone with a graphics program already has, with one or two that are new to me. In many ways, the big advantage to the program (like the paper) is convenience - since all the tools are pre-calibrated and arranged in a way that is supposedly more specifically convenient to the black and white comics artist - plus there's a bunch of tones and patterns packaged with it (100 standard tones and 140 patterns) in multiple resolutions, so you don't have to go to the trouble of creating/searching/downloading them.

(ComicWorks does have a color layer ability, but it's not all that great - sort of like a sketch layer with colored pencils, though if you really wanted to fight it you could probably make a passable color picture.)

For the money, it's a crapshoot. It's certainly not nearly as expensive as a full version of Photoshop, but if you already have PS or a comparable program and don't mind spending the extra time in setup and the like, then you probably don't need this program.
Sonya DeLaqoure
Great...so much help, im bursting with joy

Deleter paper...or any 'professional comic book artist paper' like those from Deleter-USA.com, Manga University or www.bluelinepro.com are pre-lined with non-photo blue (most copiers and scanners have hard times seeing the light blue (or green or yellow). Newer scanners and copier can pick up the color due to newer technology)

These light blue lines acts as margins for artist to use...giving them an indicator that the art work will be cut off if they go beyound the margin.

You don't "need" these pre-lined paper (heavier than normal paper, more like card stock which is great!). You can always make your own rule and margin in the future. For the moment, having some real professional comic paper will give you an idea of what's needed and usefull.
Stop Him
........The speedline tool is something I haven't seen duplicated in some other program. You can set parameters such as density and direction, randomness, etc, and then drag out a box (onto a new layer) that draws the lines automatically. You have to spend some time cutting away the parts of the line box you don't want to appear, but again, that's a task people accustomed to digital art are familiar with.

There's also some interesting looking ruler tools, but I haven't gotten around to fully exploring those yet.

On the whole, most of this program is a collection of tools that anyone with a graphics program already has, with one or two that are new to me. In many ways, the big advantage to the program (like the paper) is convenience - since all the tools are pre-calibrated and arranged in a way that is supposedly more specifically convenient to the black and white comics artist - plus there's a bunch of tones and patterns packaged with it (100 standard tones and 140 patterns) in multiple resolutions, so you don't have to go to the trouble of creating/searching/downloading them.

I don't have this program, yet. from what I read, I think the 100.00 is worth paying for pre-fabricated speed line and re-useable tones. I treat ComicWorks for what it is...a one trick pony; not as if it's Photoshop. whee
If you want to do the manga thing, i suggest you have two things: money and a lot of time.
For supplies, the basic things you need are pencils and paper-obviously. when you get your pencils, i would suggets using mechanical pencils with a softness of about HB. That would make sure your drawing is neither too light nor too dark. buy refills and draw lightly. do not try to draw with too much detail the first time-it only makes it much harder on you. when using paper, get whatever feels right. if you like a lot of detail and/or more frames -per-page, use bigger paper. if the opposite, then the opposite. like i said, it all depends on how well you can conform to drawing on what paper.
Get used to using pen nibs and inks in order to ink your page. you might want to read up on penning and stuff first-it's just a suggestion.
anyway, what i would suggest is going to a bookstore where you can sit down and read without the people disturbing you. then, get a bunch of different manga and read. this will help you find a style you like. then, imitate that style-and others-until you feel comfortable.
There are no "right" materials to draw a comic with. I've seen it done in pencil, pen and ink, all digital, watercolor, oil paints, mixed media....

Work in a media that you like. For printing purposes, really all that's important is the dimensions.
It's true...everyone is right on here:

If you can't do it with just a pencil and paper, expensive art supplies means nothing.

However, I do agree....the feeling I get when I get a really cool art supply...like my 79.00 ELECTRIC cordless eraser! whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff