Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
So I just recently began getting into this comic thing. I've started reading some, and I'm really interested in maybe making one. Where can I get idea to make one?

Also, can somebody give me tips on drawing for comics as well? I can draw and paint well but not when it comes to cartoon-ish things.

Raider

Misplaced Morgan

You can get an idea from whatever really. You should make one on a topic that you are concerned about or maybe create a story about a character, the options really are limitless. Comics are a medium so you can use whatever style you want, there are no restrictions to how you make your comic or what you want it to look like. Find inspiration from everyday life or create something unique and unusual. Just make sure it is something that you want to put time and effort into, have fun with it!

Shadowy Phantom

If you can't come up with ideas on your own, you will not be able to write a comic. Not one worth reading, anyway. Writing comics (or any type of story) requires a constant stream of ideas, as well as the ability to weed out both good and bad dieas that don't improve the story (or comic as a whole, if it's a gag-type comic with no story).

There are, however, creativity exercises you can do. Try using the generators at Seventh Sanctum and flesh out the things it gives you into stories. This probably won't give you a story worth making into a comic, but it'll help you learn to connect unconnected ideas - the basis for creativity.

As for cartoon styles - it's all about simplification and exaggeration. Understand what you're simplifying and what features make it what it is, and exaggerate them. Cartooning arguably requires a deeper understanding of things than merely rendering them realistically, despite the seemingly simpler outcome.

Depending on the comic's tone/plot, you might go for a more or less exaggerated/simplified style. Don't forget to think about that.

And don't forget about things like composition and panelling, they're as important as anything else in a comic, but are frequently overlooked. There are a million threads on these things already, so I won't repeat my usual spiel here. Just look around.

5,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Kyousouka
If you can't come up with ideas on your own, you will not be able to write a comic. Not one worth reading, anyway. Writing comics (or any type of story) requires a constant stream of ideas, as well as the ability to weed out both good and bad dieas that don't improve the story (or comic as a whole, if it's a gag-type comic with no story).

There are, however, creativity exercises you can do. Try using the generators at Seventh Sanctum and flesh out the things it gives you into stories. This probably won't give you a story worth making into a comic, but it'll help you learn to connect unconnected ideas - the basis for creativity.

As for cartoon styles - it's all about simplification and exaggeration. Understand what you're simplifying and what features make it what it is, and exaggerate them. Cartooning arguably requires a deeper understanding of things than merely rendering them realistically, despite the seemingly simpler outcome.

Depending on the comic's tone/plot, you might go for a more or less exaggerated/simplified style. Don't forget to think about that.

And don't forget about things like composition and panelling, they're as important as anything else in a comic, but are frequently overlooked. There are a million threads on these things already, so I won't repeat my usual spiel here. Just look around.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces