Welcome to Gaia! ::

I desire to create my own humorous, romantic, sci-fi comic. Well where do I start. I would smile upon any advice what so ever! biggrin
Start with a vague idea for what you think you'd like for a plot, and create some characters. Then, refine, refine, and rerefine.
It's bad manners to go around begging for ideas; however, the Pot of Ideas thread in this forum is available if you want to take a look. Understand that if -you- are going to create this, -you- need to do the work. If you can write but not draw, or vice versa, you'll either have to learn or find an artist to team up with.

I wish I didn't have to say this, but we get a lot of people coming through here asking for ideas and expecting streets paved with gold. It just doesn't work that way.
Nativealien
Well where do I start.

I'm going to assume that you have plenty of ideas and that you're not asking for idea handouts...

First of all, what do you have in mind when you say "humorous, romantic, sci-fi comic"? Humor and romance go together quite well, but what's with the sci-fi part? What kind of setting are you putting together? Who are your main characters and what are their relationships to each other?
I am in the 12th grade... and i am going to do a 12th grade project! it will be a manga.. but how do i start one!!! its due on march!!
Akari Lee
I am in the 12th grade... and i am going to do a 12th grade project! it will be a manga.. but how do i start one!!! its due on march!!

First, take a few deep breaths. No use panicking this early on; it'll just make things that much more difficult.

Now. You say you want to do a manga -- I'm going to take a guess that you are at least somewhat familiar with the form, whether it be through Watase, Toriyama, CLAMP, whoever. If you're focusing on manga specifically because of its (often debatable) difference from "American" comics, go back and take notes regarding panel setup, pacing, dialogue, et cetera.

Do you have a page minimum? Consider Tokyopop's Rising Stars of Manga contest -- each time they have a three-month period for applicants to complete a 15-20 page manga. That might not be a bad goal. You'll have to focus on a shorter story in that frame, though. As with the written short story, focus on something simple and straightforward, with only one or two main characters. Don't go for epic UNLESS you can do a simple, straightforward, standalone episode. (If you want an example on the American manga side, take a look at "The Calling Grounds" in Rising Stars of Manga vol. 3. It establishes itself as a standalone story, but you can also tell it's part of a larger mythos.)

Feel free to browse among the threads here -- I especially recommend the Pot of Ideas and the Comic Creators Challenge for practice. Work on developing your story at the moment -- make sure you have a good idea of what you want before you put ink to paper. Furthermore, I recommend the CCC thread for its challenges (well, that's kind of obvious) -- you may get a better feel for the form by working on some of the exercises therein.

Most of all, enjoy what you're doing, and good luck!
fivemoon
Nativealien
Well where do I start.

I'm going to assume that you have plenty of ideas and that you're not asking for idea handouts...

First of all, what do you have in mind when you say "humorous, romantic, sci-fi comic"? Humor and romance go together quite well, but what's with the sci-fi part? What kind of setting are you putting together? Who are your main characters and what are their relationships to each other?

Ok over the years I have been making up a futuristic universe of human explorers and their Demi-human creation slaves. The humans go around oppressing every alien race they come apart. The romance and and humour is what I want to fit into the Sci Fi I got the sci fi down I just really don't know how to fit that crap in.. but your right I shouldn't be asking for Ideas that is very wrong. Hmm I guess I will just figure this out on my own.
Nativealien
fivemoon
Nativealien
Well where do I start.

Ok over the years I have been making up a futuristic universe of human explorers and their Demi-human creation slaves. The humans go around oppressing every alien race they come apart. The romance and and humour is what I want to fit into the Sci Fi I got the sci fi down I just really don't know how to fit that crap in.. but your right I shouldn't be asking for Ideas that is very wrong. Hmm I guess I will just figure this out on my own.

I bet you can find a way of putting in romance/comedy. Here's an idea, try to make a relationship between characters that most people in your story would find "weird". Or add in sometype of misunderstanding that triggers comidical things to happen and have it lead to romance. The ideas are endless. Just think hard about it and use your imagenation (sp?) Sooner or later you'll fit all three elements in your story.^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff