• Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
WhenFlyingMuffinsAttack
Xiam
WhenFlyingMuffinsAttack
Xiam
WhenFlyingMuffinsAttack
I won't get offended. I need brutal honesty if I am going to get anywhere with a story. As for the 'furry' thing, majority of my characters are not completely coated in fur. I like to use animal parts and occasionally bizarre skin colors, but it is really rare that I go completely animal-like for a character. I actually plan on having more separate stories, but I haven't really gotten that far on it yet. That is a problem I should work on. As for the fox thing, I didn't know a kitsune was a fox with multiple tails. I just find a fox character boring, so I wanted something different, but I wanted his tails to still be fluffy. I will probably look into the mythology and such when I have time. Thank you.

Yeah. "Kitsune" means "fox," and (like a number of animals in Japan) have mysterious powers attributed to them, if they live long enough (or in the case of dogs, if they die in a certain way). Cats do so by splitting their tails into two, and foxes do so by splitting first in two, but over time can go as far as nine.

A question though... if you don't want them to be so very furry anyway, why not just make them strictly human? I mean, you don't have to, of course. Make what you'd love to read, that's my philosophy. If you're not enjoying it, you're doing it wrong.

Just a curiosity why you would feel the need for them to be animals, rather than simply taking on the perceived traits of animals while still being fully human. Like if someone is based on a fox, sure, they wouldn't have a fluffy tail, but they could still have a cunning, trickster mentality, and perhaps even a fox-like face. And that gives you personality right there.

Or if they're like a squirrel, also no bushy tail, but perhaps a hyperactive personality with a sort of hoarder compulsion.

And so on in that fashion. There are loads of archetypes you can work with.
I'm not just looking for animals. I want non-human characters because I am not exactly one who is fond of reality, so I like to have characters in a more fantasy like vision to me.

I'm not either. But humans tend to be more relatable, and I haven't quite gotten around to using all the weird things I draw, so... *shrug*

That reminds me though, how much do you doodle? Do you ever just sort of... make things up as you go? An exercise I like to do is scribble, then see if I see anything in it. Sometimes I'll even flip it around to the side or upside-down. Then I sketch what I think I see. Comes out very inhuman, but... can be a good exercise in imagination.
That's actually how I got most of my character's original designs. Sometimes it helps me expand their personalities. Eh. I know I won't really start working on my story for a while, but I didn't want to post in chatter box about my characters. The people in there are quite harsh. It's rather hard finding things for my characters, but a lot of these posts have been getting me to think hard about what I want.

Chatterbox?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. You must be cautious.

Questionable Browser

13,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Nerd 50
  • Timid 100
Xiam
WhenFlyingMuffinsAttack
Xiam
WhenFlyingMuffinsAttack
Xiam
WhenFlyingMuffinsAttack
I won't get offended. I need brutal honesty if I am going to get anywhere with a story. As for the 'furry' thing, majority of my characters are not completely coated in fur. I like to use animal parts and occasionally bizarre skin colors, but it is really rare that I go completely animal-like for a character. I actually plan on having more separate stories, but I haven't really gotten that far on it yet. That is a problem I should work on. As for the fox thing, I didn't know a kitsune was a fox with multiple tails. I just find a fox character boring, so I wanted something different, but I wanted his tails to still be fluffy. I will probably look into the mythology and such when I have time. Thank you.

Yeah. "Kitsune" means "fox," and (like a number of animals in Japan) have mysterious powers attributed to them, if they live long enough (or in the case of dogs, if they die in a certain way). Cats do so by splitting their tails into two, and foxes do so by splitting first in two, but over time can go as far as nine.

A question though... if you don't want them to be so very furry anyway, why not just make them strictly human? I mean, you don't have to, of course. Make what you'd love to read, that's my philosophy. If you're not enjoying it, you're doing it wrong.

Just a curiosity why you would feel the need for them to be animals, rather than simply taking on the perceived traits of animals while still being fully human. Like if someone is based on a fox, sure, they wouldn't have a fluffy tail, but they could still have a cunning, trickster mentality, and perhaps even a fox-like face. And that gives you personality right there.

Or if they're like a squirrel, also no bushy tail, but perhaps a hyperactive personality with a sort of hoarder compulsion.

And so on in that fashion. There are loads of archetypes you can work with.
I'm not just looking for animals. I want non-human characters because I am not exactly one who is fond of reality, so I like to have characters in a more fantasy like vision to me.

I'm not either. But humans tend to be more relatable, and I haven't quite gotten around to using all the weird things I draw, so... *shrug*

That reminds me though, how much do you doodle? Do you ever just sort of... make things up as you go? An exercise I like to do is scribble, then see if I see anything in it. Sometimes I'll even flip it around to the side or upside-down. Then I sketch what I think I see. Comes out very inhuman, but... can be a good exercise in imagination.
That's actually how I got most of my character's original designs. Sometimes it helps me expand their personalities. Eh. I know I won't really start working on my story for a while, but I didn't want to post in chatter box about my characters. The people in there are quite harsh. It's rather hard finding things for my characters, but a lot of these posts have been getting me to think hard about what I want.

Chatterbox?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. You must be cautious.
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, but that's why I didn't post it there. I have always had trouble with other things in there so I thought here would be a better atmosphere for this kind of stuff.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
WhenFlyingMuffinsAttack
Xiam
WhenFlyingMuffinsAttack
Xiam
WhenFlyingMuffinsAttack

Chatterbox?

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, but that's why I didn't post it there. I have always had trouble with other things in there so I thought here would be a better atmosphere for this kind of stuff.

I'm quoting Obi-Wan Kenobi. But yeah, I don't like the Chatterbox or the General Discussion though, I generally keep away from either. xd

Questionable Browser

13,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Nerd 50
  • Timid 100
Xiam
WhenFlyingMuffinsAttack
Xiam
WhenFlyingMuffinsAttack
Xiam
WhenFlyingMuffinsAttack

Chatterbox?

I'm quoting Obi-Wan Kenobi. But yeah, I don't like the Chatterbox or the General Discussion though, I generally keep away from either. xd
XD Sorry. I am horrible at telling the difference between things at times. I agree, though. Those places are awful. That's why I came here. It helped a ton, actually. Got me thinking.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff