Welcome to Gaia! ::

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I'm saving up for an artist for the first story of my manga (about 30 pages).

I want someone who can draw expressions, backgrounds, and objects well.

I am leaning toward black and white but I'd like to know what to expect to pay for color in case an eager artist who wants to color comes along.

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
are you talking about rl money or gaia gold?

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Static Sludge
are you talking about rl money or gaia gold?

Real money (I'd pay gsia golf if a good artist wanted, but I don't need to save up for it).
Comparing it to artists on DA (what they sell for when doing commissions), black and white usually ends up around $30/page with color $50/page. Though more professional artists (who have high demand) tend to go for more.
I've seen some people do pages for as low as $10/page (b&w), but they're typically just beginners looking for practice/exposure.
Needless to say, the higher your offer, the bigger fish you can snag.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Aseliina
Comparing it to artists on DA (what they sell for when doing commissions), black and white usually ends up around $30/page with color $50/page. Though more professional artists (who have high demand) tend to go for more.
I've seen some people do pages for as low as $10/page (b&w), but they're typically just beginners looking for practice/exposure.

Are those prices worth it?

I've had a lot of people they to rip me off.

Would a higher price garuntee staying closer to my vision of things?

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
I_Write_Ivre
Aseliina

don't mean to jump in, but try doing some background info on any artists you find
especially on DA
id say 10-30 is definitely beginner wage, as most wont be paid less then minimum wage an hour for how long it can take to finish one comic page. (anywhere from 4-8 hrs depending on the artist) so you have to be willing to pay something.

and for the security of both of you id get a contract made up for whoever signs on so that neither can get scrwed over. good luck with yer comic dude!

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Static Sludge
I_Write_Ivre
Aseliina

don't mean to jump in, but try doing some background info on any artists you find
especially on DA
id say 10-30 is definitely beginner wage, as most wont be paid less then minimum wage an hour for how long it can take to finish one comic page. (anywhere from 4-8 hrs depending on the artist) so you have to be willing to pay something.

and for the security of both of you id get a contract made up for whoever signs on so that neither can get scrwed over. good luck with yer comic dude!

Really?

Wow. Many artists boast about just 2-5 hours.

I know manhaka aren't paid much, but I don't think paying for 8 hours on a simple page is right (a complicated one, yes).

Now I need to find out where best to find a mangaka (no biters on DA).

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
I_Write_Ivre
Really?

I know manhaka aren't paid much, but I don't think paying for 8 hours on a simple page is right (a complicated one, yes).

Making a really nice page in 2 hours is wicked hard, so I feel like anyone who can churn out really good pages really fast deserves to be paid for their expertise. Time cost isn't the only thing that goes into paying someone. I mean, I can bust out a drawing of some things in like 30 seconds, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna just charge 30 seconds at minimum wage or something if someone asked me to draw a prancing unicorn.

And what Static said about writing a contract and checking backgrounds are good ideas. If the artist has left other commissioners hanging for a long time, that would probably be bad.

Well, page wages were discussed in a previous thread also, if you haven't seen it: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/comic-creators/is-this-a-reasonable-price-range-for-an-art-commission/t.89246481/

It'll probably take a while to find someone since 30 pages is a pretty big commitment. >_> like how 90% of the people posting comics here don't even make it past the first chapter of their own stories...

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Kaxen
I_Write_Ivre
Really?

Making a really nice page in 2 hours is wicked hard, so I feel like anyone who can churn out really good pages really fast deserves to be paid for their expertise. Time cost isn't the only thing that goes into paying someone. I mean, I can bust out a drawing of some things in like 30 seconds, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna just charge 30 seconds at minimum wage or something if someone asked me to draw a prancing unicorn.

This is why I prefer per page instead of per hour.

I used to have an amazing artist who was really super fast but my boss ditched in paying them despite the contract.

Shadowy Phantom

The point of keeping minimum wage in mind isn't to charge hourly, but to provide a reasonable, non-abusive page rate.

Also, things like commitment to X pages can raise your page rate, as can the quality of your script. I am personally quite happy to give people discounts of their script is something I'd really enjoy working on, or if it's something that would be a breeze for me to do, but I'd charge extra if they expect a certain schedule (rather than a deadline for the whole thing), or if the script is boring to me, or even if they just don't seem like great people to work with.

How good is "good"? Some example of the quality you're looking for would help. It could very well me that your "good" is actually something you could get very cheap, or it could be that you're looking for professional-level work.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Kyousouka
The point of keeping minimum wage in mind isn't to charge hourly, but to provide a reasonable, non-abusive page rate.

Also, things like commitment to X pages can raise your page rate, as can the quality of your script. I am personally quite happy to give people discounts of their script is something I'd really enjoy working on, or if it's something that would be a breeze for me to do, but I'd charge extra if they expect a certain schedule (rather than a deadline for the whole thing), or if the script is boring to me, or even if they just don't seem like great people to work with.

How good is "good"? Some example of the quality you're looking for would help. It could very well me that your "good" is actually something you could get very cheap, or it could be that you're looking for professional-level work.

B&W Sailormoon at best (no white spot over lips when characters kiss).

Not sure if my script is great but I try to bend over backwards for artists.

Edit: I'm not sure if I want pages that would rightfully cost 250 dollars per page. That sounds to decadent for my story.

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
yeah when I said at least minimum wage per hour I didn't mean to pay them hourly, but its job like any other and you need to take into consideration that they are doing t his because it is a serious job for them . and like any other job or career they need a decent wage to live off of and produce quality work.

and personally, 2 hours for a (good)comic page seems... unrealistic especially with paying your artists a smaller wage. it takes pros as many hours as ive listed above, give or take (and not all of them of course) so I wouldn't gauge worth with how quick they can get it done.

also I don't think 250 is a regular page rate unless youre using a professional (actually in the business) id say 70-80 is good for a skilled artist that's also beginning with no rep. since im assuming you are also a beginner?

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Static Sludge

also I don't think 250 is a regular page rate unless youre using a professional (actually in the business) id say 70-80 is good for a skilled artist that's also beginning with no rep. since im assuming you are also a beginner?

Sort of.

I was once hired by a small company, but my boss blew off paying the artist so they quit then I quit.

70-80 sounds much better.

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
I_Write_Ivre
Static Sludge

Sort of.

I was once hired by a small company, but my boss blew off paying the artist so they quit then I quit.

I might also suggest looking on here I mentioned it in another forum but I can also apply/help in this situation.
I forget which link its under (on that page I gave)
but you can advertise for a gig (for artist or writer I believe) or collabs, etc etc. as long as your serious youd probably have good luck. you can also see the different wages some of them offer to get a ballpark

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Static Sludge
I_Write_Ivre
Static Sludge

Sort of.

I might also suggest looking on here I mentioned it in another forum but I can also apply/help in this situation.
I forget which link its under (on that page I gave)
but you can advertise for a gig (for artist or writer I believe) or collabs, etc etc. as long as your serious youd probably have good luck. you can also see the different wages some of them offer to get a ballpark

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces