Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been playing with the levels and contrast like people have suggested and it works really well!! thanks tons!! However, I have a new problem. I'm going to ask the artist to just trace the pictures in ink, but what kind of ink should she use? Ballpoint pen? Sharpie? Any specific brands? And also, how do I go about coloring it? Some people mentioned making two layers and coloring on one while leaving the lines on top. I don't really understand how to do that... eek eek question question Heh... so many questions.... sweatdrop sweatdrop

Original Post:
Okay, my friends and I are in a comic-drawing group called Quagga-chan. We have many pages drawn and scanned up, but there are some problems. I am the computer editor and these are some issues:
1) my artist draws with regular pencils
2) my artist does not have a proper pencil sharpener
3) my artist does not have a proper eraser
4) my artist is....messy and lets the edges of papers get crinkled and lets the pages get smeary
5) the paper she draws on is yellow-ish
We've fixed most of these problems by now but her older drawings are still muddy. How can I clean them up?
BakaNeko.com has great lineart guides, try there.
I don't know how much you can do if they're that bad to start off with. Maybe mess with the levels and brightness/contrast. Sharpening can help bring the edges out but it will also make those edges look jagged and crummy.

I have to applaud you guys for naming your group after an extinct equine though. Quaggas are/were spiffy.
Do you have some sort of "brighten/ darken" tool that you can use like a paintbrush? That could help you a lot. You should also look into your artist buying an erasor and a pencil sharpener. They're not that pricey.

I agree with Kytrie. Excellent name choice!
haha, thanx tons for the tips! I do have a brighten/darken paintbrush, ecxept i have about 30 pages with approx 5 frames on each one to do! so... eep! it might take a while. I have forced several mechanical pencils and erasors on her now! lol

yeah, i came up with the name because i was looking through the dictionary (haha, yeah I'm a geek, the dictionary is my inspiration sweatdrop ) and i came across a horse thing in the q's so haah!
Do you use Photoshop? Besides the "brightness/contrast" tool I usually adjust the "curves" tool.
And give your friend a sharpener! xd
If your artist can take it, tell her to redraw the pages. Preferably tracing them and "inking" them out with darker pencils.

Tell your aritist to start taking care of their artwork. I'm not saying to go buy spray fixatives or plastic sleeves (though it would help), but if she was to show off her work, sloppy presentation of her work could overshadow the quality of her her drawings.

Plus, cleaner work means less editing as well as a faster output.

As for editing, I use the Levels option (Ctrl+L) after converting the image to grayscale (Image>Mode>Grayscale).

Play around with the arrows then go about with an eraser/brush tool, getting rid of spots and noise.
Other then the brightness/contrast tool and the levels tool in photoshop, a good tool to use is the Curves too. If you use the eyedropper otions to the right in the curves window you can select what you want to be white, black, and grey.
thank you so much! and actually, they are in plastic sleeves, but there are about 20 in each sleeve!!! eek so it gets smeared anywho. I might ask her to retrace them in ink or something. btw, if you see her, her username is quagga_chan. 3nodding
If they're on yellow paper, I would convert it to black and white line art first, then adjust the levels like many have mentioned.
alis_in_wonderland
haha, thanx tons for the tips! I do have a brighten/darken paintbrush, ecxept i have about 30 pages with approx 5 frames on each one to do! so... eep! it might take a while. I have forced several mechanical pencils and erasors on her now! lol

You can record some "actions" (adjust, contrast, bright, darken, etc, etc" into an "ACTION" command and run all your images thru that ACTION. It will "batch process" the eniter folder.
Yu
alis_in_wonderland

You can record some "actions" (adjust, contrast, bright, darken, etc, etc" into an "ACTION" command and run all your images thru that ACTION. It will "batch process" the eniter folder.

awsomeness!! woo.. that'll be a great time saver!! thanx for the tip.

btw, this is alis. I'm just on the quagga-chan group username LOL whee
umm.. new question now...
Anything her heart desires.

Personally, I like ballpoint pens since they're everywhere. As long as they don't get all goopy.
fanartist
Anything her heart desires.

Personally, I like ballpoint pens since they're everywhere. As long as they don't get all goopy.

really? cuz usually bp pen doesn't write too well on pencil.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff